4,893 results
All reviews animation team pool area shopping centre sea view lobby bar half board lovely hotel evening shows aqua gym plenty of sunbeds plenty of choice fidelity card reception staff main restaurant small shopping courtesy room games room
Selected filters
Reviewed October 15, 2018

Had a week at the Elba Carlota mid-September and in summary it was fantastic. Myself, my wife and our three year old had a great time, as a full bells and whistles review I can advise the following:

Food – in a nutshell the food was great, we have been to a number of all inclusive resorts across the Canaries, Europe and the Carribean and with the exception of our one trip to a 5 star in Barbados, the buffet food at the Carlota was unquestionably the best. Good selection of fresh fish and meat, the Mexican theme night rivalled any other Mexican food I have had. There was plastic crockery and cutlery for young kids and we never failed to find something for a discerning three year old either. Honestly can’t fault the food at all.

Staff – the staff were again great. Attentive and good with our son too, the only issue is perhaps a lack of them, especially at the bar in the evening. It wasn’t a problem for us as for obvious (three year old) reasons we weren’t propping up the bar at night but there were queues when we got our nightcaps (at about 2030). What staff there were, were without exception really good

Animation team – can’t talk them up enough, really good, enthusiastic, engaging and great with kids. We routinely went to the mini disco which our son loved. I would liken my experience at the mini disco to doing a workout in a sauna after a big meal and a day of drinking, but it is not aimed at me and the target audience (my son) loved it! (To the point that I appear to now be cursed with a makeshift mini-disco every night at home so he can continue to dance with Pepe). Again didn’t get a chance to do the shows at night, but certainly my son was awed by the whole thing so well done. Also, they were good at gauging who to talk to etc round the pool during the day. I have been to resorts in the past where you have to tell someone 15 times that you don’t want to play inflatable rounders / hide and seek / water polo before they take the hint, but there was none of that at the Elba Carlota. If you wanted to take part you were welcomed, if you wanted to just relax that was fine too. Their approach was well balanced and that in itself is a skill.

Location – great, right beside a shop if you need it, right next to the beach if that’s your thing and the pools were great. Even with the towel brigade out booking sunbeds at the crack of dawn there were more than enough to go round. (I would sooner lie on a bed of rabid hedgehogs all day than lower myself to pegging a towel to a sunbed at 0600). Nice walks along the front and a selection of organised trips / car hire options available for exploring further afield.

Guests – for a big hotel there were no obvious dafties, the national stereo-types generally lived up to what you would expect (as regards the sunbeds, queueing, occasional arrogance) but no notable issues caused by anyone and considering the size that is in itself quite impressive. There seemed to be a weird absence of tipping, we did but we seemed to be in the minority, for the sake of a couple of Euros here and there it is worth it (and it will be noted by the staff too).

Rooms – again ideal, clean well maintained. My only real gripe with the whole experience was the air conditioning. At this time of year the air-con is only on between 1600 and 2200 which makes the room pretty uncomfortable hot most of the time. I consider anything above 10 degrees to be t-shirt weather so the room was unquestionably too hot. On that note, I would recommend taking a fan or two with you

Other reviews – To address some of the ‘issues’ highlighted in other reviews I would suggest the following:

Pool Towels – They were fine, you can swap them (twice in a week) if you want, otherwise, like any other towels, they do dry so its not an issue. They are standard bulk hotel beach towels so if you require Egyptian cotton then probably take your own – otherwise these ones are fit for purpose

Food – As I said the food is great, if you can’t find something you like then the fault is with you not the hotel!

Queues at the bar – as alluded to this is a bit of an issue, caused by a lack of staff rather than any issues with the staff that are there

Safe – yes you have to pay for the safe, yes it is frequently included in all-inclusive hotels and it’s not here. It is what it is.

Water in the rooms – No there isn’t any water in the rooms, you can get bottles at the bar and throughout the day. Fair enough it might be nice to have a couple of bottles in the mini fridge every day, but we never got caught short (and bought a huge bottle from the supermarket just in case). Again for the sake of a couple of Euro’s I can make my peace with that.

TV – yes you are limited for English speaking channels (though this is due to a change in the licensing laws rather than the hotel). We didn’t really watch TV but when we did it was the Disney Channel. (It is obviously in Spanish but if you open the options you can change the audio to English). The same is true for some of the other channels so worth playing around with if you are intending on spending a lot of time watching TV when getting ready etc

Definitely recommend and despite generally trying somewhere new with each holiday, we do intend to go back here. (The only reason I gave 4 rather than 5 was the air-con)

Room tip: Sea view is worth it for the sunsets
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
6  Thank AandgEdinburgh
ELBACARLOTA, Director General at Elba Carlota Beach and Convention Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2018

Dear AandgEdinburgh,

Thank you very much for you comments and score.

We really appreciate that you share your experience among this detailed feedback with other users of TripAdvisor.

Making sure we have reached your expectations with our job motivate us to carry on working in the same goal.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon once again.

With my best greetings and regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

The location is exquisite; set on the curve of a man made lagoon with sandy beach:with beautiful gardens full of riotously coloured flowers : access to the beach is through a gate -secured by your room key.
The hotel itself is well equipped with heated outdoor pools ; a plethora of sun loungers; gym; two or three bars ;two restaurants ;fridge in room etc.
The animation team put on an amazing version of “ The Lion King” during our stay and were very good at everything they did.
The hotel offers all inclusive and half board. We were half board and were not tempted to ‘upgrade’ for although the food was of the standard expected of this grade of hotel ,it suffered as all these places do ,from the feeding frenzy at all mealtimes. It is a perennial problem created both by the numbers being catered for and the determination of most guests to get their moneys worth. The food itself was good .
Now: points to note.
The rooms have safes but you pay three euros per day for their use.
There was no air conditioning in the public areas.
The air conditioning unit in our room sounded like an asthmatic tractor and had about as much power.
Towels are changed daily if you leave them in the shower but replacements are not brought till mid afternoon.As the room was cleaned in the morning this was odd.
As appears usual you have to be up before dawn if you wish to secure you choice of poolside sun lounger. On the plus side dawn is at 7.30. Pool towels are available for a deposit of ten euro.
The only curtains are thick nets . No one can see in ( our room was on the ground floor)but street lights can clearly illuminate the area.

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank Reganlefay
ELBACARLOTA, Director General at Elba Carlota Beach and Convention Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Dear Reganlefay,

Thank you very much for your comments and score.

We really appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay among us, highlighting the hotel location, animation team and the quality of food.

We take note about some points noted as one of our interests is receive the feed back from our guests in order to improve and get better day by day.

It will be a pleasure to see you here again in the future sharing your time with us.

Receive our best regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2018

We stayed at elba Carlotta during September.As always when going to new country and hotel,Am always dubious.But what a great hotel.Just few things maybe stop it being 5 star.Broken sunbeds,quite a few round the pool.Maybe needs tarting up in places.The pros far out way the cons.Food was great and plentiful.Something for everyone,Freshly squeezed juices for breakfast were great.The choice of drinks for all inclusive were the best we have ever had,and we do 5 holidays a year,always do all inclusive.The animation team were FANNTASTIC.Especially Charlie.Cannot say a bad word about this hotel.We already decided we going back next year.

Room tip: Shopping centre and towngreat.And a market twice a week.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear jo e,

Thank you very much for your comments and your score.

We are pleased to know you all have enjoyed your stay among us and to have reached your expectations.

It is a proud to read opinions like yours as a result of a well done job from us.

On the other hand, we take note about sunbed issue mentioned, as one of our interests is receive the feed back from our guests in order to improve and get better day by day.

We are more than happy with your next year visit .

Receive our best regards.

Reviewed October 14, 2018

Visited for a week at the end of September/beginning of October 2018 on an all inclusive basis with Jet2.com. We really enjoyed the hotel except for a few niggles regarding our room. We had a standard room with a balcony which overlooked the supermarket complex next door and also the service road to the hotel. On occasion this was noisy but overall not too bad. Things could have been improved if the curtains at the balcony doors did actually cover the door's glass . In fact only the net part of the curtains did which meant that we got woken up around 4am with the flashing yellow lights from the bin wagons. The room was a reasonable size including the bathroom. Unfortunately the shower was over the bath. The shower was not the easiest thing to operate which meant that we flooded the bathroom floor on the first 2 evenings. The shower itself was very powerful but there was just a smallish screen to stop the water getting onto the bathroom floor and this was really insufficient. The first evening we used one of the bath towels to mop up the flood. I managed to speak to a room maid the next day and she put a rolled up towel at the base of the bath side. Also there was no anti slip mat in the bath. Fortunately we had taken our own. On the fourth day we got a mat supplied by the hotel and also a proper bath mat. In my opinion these things should have been provided from the start. What I would say is that the hot water was scalding!!
The TV in the room was quite modern but really only one channel for British visitors (BBC world service)
We thought the food was pretty good with plenty of choice even if things were not always laid out in a logical order and hot food was sometimes only warm.
We loved the outside verandah from the main bar and sat there late afternoon and then evening after dinner. You had to be quick off the mark to get a seat though as the verandah was very popular.
The staff were excellent everywhere and the hotel is kept very clean. There was never any pressure on sunbeds around the pool but you had to pick your spot if you did not want to be deafened by the loudspeakers around the pool. But in fairness they were not always in use. Wifi was excellent throughout the hotel. Lovely well kept gardens leading to the beach.
In all we enjoyed our stay and would return despite the niggles with the room. Perhaps next time we would have more luck!! The average age of guests during our stay was probably over 55. I would not like to think what it would be in the school holidays but fortunately we don't have to go at that time.

Room tip: Try to get a room away from the hotel's service road
1  Thank cheshirepen

Dear cheshirepen,

Thank you very much for your comments and score.

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay among us and that we have reached your expectations under the regime of all inclusive.

It also make us happy to read that the food has been to your liking, as well as the bar service, the cleanliness and kindness of the staff.

By contrast, we would also apologize for the inconvenience of the room mentioned.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you on your next visit and we will commit ourselves to improve this aspect.

With our best greetings and regards,

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are just back from a fabulous half board week at the Elba Carlota (26th September to 3rd October).

The hotel is wonderful, beautiful gardens, really well tended, a pleasure to walk through them straight on to the promenade and sandy beach.
As for the staff...I can't praise them highly enough. They all work really hard and still have time for a smile and a joke which made it a very relaxing and pleasant experience.

Our room was lovely with a very comfortable bed and a wonderful view from the balcony of the pool and a side view of the sea.

The food in the self service restaurant was perfect and presented so well. My husband is quite fussy, but there was something different to suit him every meal. For example, for breakfast he helped himself to cereals and toast, then went back up for a full english or a lovely light omelette prepared with fillings of his choice by the very amiable chef. I preferred the fresh fruit with blackberries, blackcurrants, and blueberries with a choice of yoghurt toppings. My husband was concerned it would be all Spanish food for evening dinner, but nothing could be further from the truth. We both enjoyed steaks, and pork chops, chicken portions and lots of different fish and seafood dishes and a full range of vegetables, and I loved the Paella and curries. Also I saw there was a vegetarian selection and gluten free dishes. Excellent. As for the desserts....you name it, they had it.

I spent a lot of time in the pools, starting off in the heated one, then braving the cooler one for more serious swimming, while my husband relaxed in the jacuzzi.

I can't comment on the children's entertainment, or the evening shows, because we didn't use them, but other guests were very complimentary about them. We preferred to take a walk on the promenade, past the shops and cafes to the harbour where I had my photo taken being
kissed by a seal lol, then we relaxed on the balcony with a glass or 3 of wine or a good old cup of english tea, Earl Grey no less.

We have had the holiday of a lifetime. In fact I have just booked again for the first week of May.

Date of stay: October 2018
4  Thank Chapstaff1
ELBACARLOTA, Director General at Elba Carlota Beach and Convention Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2018

Dear OnAir518041,

Thank you very much for your comments and score.

It is really good to read that you have enjoyed our food, our service and all in all our hotel facilities.

We are pleased to know you have enjoyed your stay among us and we have reached your expectations with our job and service.

It will be a pleasure to see you here agian in the future sharing your time with our big family in Fuerteventura.

With my best greetings and regards.

Miguel Angel Sánchez