“very disappointing”
Review of Hotel Elba Carlota

Hotel Elba Carlota
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed March 11, 2014

A well maintained and attractive hotel with excellent room service however-
1.About half of the rooms at this hotel face north or north/east so their balconies get no sun. So even if you book a room with a sea view the continual wind in Fuertevantura means it is uncomfortable to use the balcony.
2.The resturant is appalling. It is too Small for the hotel and feels like being in a railway station. There is a constant search for a clean table or cutlery, or cups,etc.
3.The evening entertainment is sad and amateurish, mostly consisting of the childrens entertainment team miming to 50 year old pop songs.

This hotel is not worth it's 4 star rating and not worth the money it costs to stay there.

t

Room Tip: Only South facing rooms get any sunshine, BUT half of these also overlook the local supermarket!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeffrey j
ELBACARLOTA, Gerente at Hotel Elba Carlota, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

dear mister Jeffrey,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments about our hotel.
Obviously, reading your review is not as pleasant as the many positive reiviews we get about our hotel.
I am sorry you have experienced some negative experiences whilst with us, although I must say myslef, and so many other guests with me do not agree with you.
We get praised many times for our animation team, that offer different kind of own and professional shows every day.
And I must say that we never have complaints like yours about our restaurant.
But, everybody has their own personal opinion, and this is a website where you can express that opinion.
Needless to say I do not think we will see you back with us, which is a shame as we would be happy to welcome you again.

Director.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,197)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

It was the second time we stayed in this hotel. We are very satisfied with the service and have enjoyed the Holiday in Elba Carlota. Both the breakfasts and the dinners were very good.
Next year to Fuerteventura again............

Room Tip: Lighting in the rooms and bath room was very poor even we had a junior suite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ritva p

dear sir / madam,

Thanl you very much for the review about our hotel.
I am very happy and pleased to see this was your second stay here with us, and you will be comming back again.
If you are not already a member of our fidelity club yet, please take a look on our website where you can aply for free. Because for repeating clients as yourself it has a lot of discounts and benefits.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was our third visit to the Elba Carlota, however unfortunately whilst I rated 5* on the previous two occasions, this time I cannot do the same. I have taken time to consider this report prior to listing to ensure correct and not slated by the negative incident that we encountered.

We booked 9 months in advance via TravelRepublic. As we were 6 returning guests with 3 rooms booked I had previously emailed Elba twice, receiving confirmations with our rooms requests. We are also all Fidelity card holders. (Which according to the Manager is not worth the plastic it is printed on, as its all 'if they are interested in fulfilling' as its complimentary and as you don't pay then its worthless) Furthermore I also had the Public Relation Directors personal guarantee that our reservation would be preferential – a total waste of a promise!

This did not stop our receiving news from reception upon our arrival that we were being ‘bumped’ next door to the Sara as the hotel was at capacity. The reason given was because we were not OLD and were easier to move! Now we had visited the Sara before, and did not like the dull disposition of the hotel and were adamant we did not wish to move.

After approximately an hour, we negotiated our way to moving for the first of our four nights, returning for the remaining three. OK they sorted the taxi and placed us in Senior Suites for these 3 nights, however half our party was in one wing, the rest the other side. My room requests were for rooms together so this was a joke in itself. These Suites were also not a patch on the Sara next door so if room comfort is your thing, then consider this. Also there are no loungers on the Suite balconies.

Most disappointing is that we do still like this hotel. Once settled back in, we enjoy the pool area, evening entertainment and the food and drink on the AI. Bar staff are totally overworked, but they are of such a likeable disposition you forget the 15 minute wait sometimes encountered for drinks! This still does not help though, because we have been advised that ELBA frequently oversell and therefore there is no guarantee if we book again for next year the same would not occur again!

I will not detail the likes of the hotel, I have done that before. I leave with a warning of the risk of being told upon arrival you are being switched elsewhere. This is despite email communication just 10 days before with room requests acknowledged by the hotel.

Why they could not have emailed us the day before is a mystery, which would have at least given us opportunity to consider our move. To allow us to arrive then waste considerable time in negotiation/checking in/checking out/checking in (often 20 min waits at reception) is totally unfair and wrong.

We are now looking elsewhere for next year, which is a crying shame as we truly believed we would be returning here for many years to come.

Very let down, and very disappointing is the only way I can conclude.

Room Tip: Don't if you wish to be placed in another hotel not of your choice!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank MrsACM
ELBACARLOTA, Gerente at Hotel Elba Carlota, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

dear sir / madam,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel.
As you say you have taken time to concider your report, so have I to prepare an answer.
Let me start of by apoligising for the inconvenience caused.
Our main goal is to satisfy our clients, we want all of our guests to be happy and to enjoy their holidays.
Nobody else but us are to blame for the issues caused, which I can asure you does not happen frequently as you state. It was a last minute failure and therefor too late to advise on forhand. We actually taken your booking because being a fidelitycard holder entitles you to upgrades, which were offered in your case, you have gone up from booking a standard room to a senior suite, which are actually 3 steps. I am sorry that instead of thinking of doing you a big favour it turned out not to be, but I think we also compensated that by giving you 3 senior suites and the posibility to enjoy the all inclusive in both hotels.
Like I said before, we are too blame and once more I apoligise.
I know you really like our hotel, our services and our staff, so I would really be honoured if this does not keep you from visiting us again next year.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

stayed at this hotel oct 2013. a bit disappointed with the location of our room at first, it was at the end near shopping centre and in the shade ground floor. staff did offer us another room but we decided to keep where we were. hotel is very clean staff very polite entertainment abit cheesy but good fun. food was excellent but you did have to wait awhile for a drink due to not enough staff. the staff are rushed off their feet especially in restaurant.
would recommend walking up the road to the market on a Tuesday.
very secure hotel, beautiful beach.
would recommend 100%

Room Tip: sea view room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

dear miss Jenny,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experiences in hotel Elba Carlota.
Our main goal is to satisfy our clients, and for them to come back, so I am very pleased to read your positive review.
Myself and all the staff are looking forward to meeting you again in the near future,

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We are just back from a week in Fuerteventura. We usually go to lanzarote but decided to consider seeing what this island has to offer. We didn't book to stay at the Carlotta but it's sister hotel the Elba Sara. The latter had no record of our booking so we were sent to the Carlotta., a bad start . We had paid for bed and breakfast and extra for a sea view room. Because of the inconvenience we were upgraded to half board. (We didn't consider that an upgrade: if we had wanted half board we would have booked it.)
Our room in the Carlotta had a view of the sea,if you leaned well out on the balcony !
The room we were allocated was in an area where the sun didn't reach and was very cold. We asked could we move to a room on the other side but this could not be done. I asked for a room heater but that is not possible. Extra blankets was the best they could do.
To list the disappointments in this four star hotel :
Tea coffee milk in the rooms was not replenished when used. If you wanted more you had to pay for it.
Use of the refrigerator in the room was listed as an extra.
The beds were solid : I have honestly never slept in such a hard uncomfortable bed even when a student in hostel accommodation.
The maid left us with only one towel for two people on two days. We did ask about it. On one day a towel was delivered later and on the second day , another never arrived and we had to share one.
The electronic door key locked us out three times. This was rectified at reception but no explanation or apology was offered.
The bar could not serve us a jug of sangria , which is a trademark holiday drink for many visiting Spain. The barman said he had run out of jugs!
We tried the 'upgrade ' one night and went for dinner. The food was cold and the ambience was like a train station. This is ok for breakfast time but not for dinner. We opted to eat out rather than try that again.
We wanted to get a beer at the poolside bar but it only served drinks out of small plastic cups even if you were sitting at a table .. Awful. So if you wanted to be civilised and use a glass you had to leave poolside bar and go to the one inside the hotel ( the one which had no jugs !)
Our holiday was marred by very cold weather and of course we cannot blame the hotel for this , so a swim in the pool wasn't possible ; indeed sitting by the pool or on our cold balcony or in our cold room wasn't possible either. We had to spend a lot of time in the local shopping centre or local bars to keep warm as the hotel had no spaces indoors where a person could sit and read except the bar.
We checked out today. There was no body at the desk waiting only us . The lady asked for our room number , advised what we owed and processed that. I was ready to point out my grievances but she made no eye contact , did not smile and did not ask how was our stay which was so unprofessional.

Overall I would not rate this a four star hotel and I couldn't recommend it to anyone. I was glad to check out and I will never use this hotel again.
I'm sure the manager will reply to this review with his stock answer as to why I didn't raise these issues while I was at the hotel. My reply to that , in anticipation, is that for a four star hotel some of these shouldn't even arise . For those others which arose , when I did politely raise the issue I got the same bland response , a shrug of the shoulders or a quick 'sorry madam.'
Finally , I do not usually complain and have never written such a review before but I felt the need to forewarn anyone who may think of booking to think carefully.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
15  Thank ComfortTravellers
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I spent 10 days at this hotel at the end of February on a half board basis. They are happy for you to swap lunch for dinner which is good if you want to go out in the evening. Staff very pleasant and helpful from the reception staff to the bar staff. Fruit and wine left in our room on arrival which was nice surprise. Entertainment crew work really hard and during the evening and day.Room was a good size and very clean with a balcony which we liked very much, lovely suntrap.
Food on the whole was good in terms of variety but was quiet often cold or lukewarm. Very noisy in the restaurant so we ate outside which is very pleasant. The location of the hotel is good with a nice walk to the main area where there are restaurants and shops-about 10/15 minutes walk. But the wind was a real pain on this holiday with a constant blow. We had be warned that Fuerteventura was the windy island and it proved so when we were there. But the sun shone everyday and we came home with a tan. The beach is very close and is clean and sandy.Would recommend 2 restaurants first being called 15 - you need to book, 2nd called Gamrinous (i think). One of the reasons we chose this hotel was because it was close to airport so no long journey to and from airport, big mistake as the aeroplanes are so noisy it drives you mad. They start at 7.30am and stop about 7.00pm !!!!! I am just not convinced this hotel is 4 star, maybe a 3+ .

Room Tip: We stayed in 228 and sun in afternoon/ evening and not overlooked
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nawtHertfordshire

dear sir / madam,

Thank you very much for the review you have written about hotel Elba Carlota.
I must admit I am a little confused by your review, you write so many positive comments
about our hotel, services and staff, and then in the end you state you do not think
our hotel is a 4star hotel.
I am sorry your issues with the airplanes, but as you state yourself, being close to the airport, there is not much we can do about that.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed here last week and really enjoyed it. We were upgraded to a suite on arrival with a balcony directly overlooking the sea which made our stay that much more enjoyable. The room was very spacious,clean with a very comfortable super king size bed(bed was firm which is what we like) and with a huge bathroom including a Jacuzzi bath. There was a small table with two chairs on the balcony but no recliners. Tv consisted of only a couple of English channels but not an issue for us. We were on a half board package and we both thought the food was good quality with an excellent array of options particularly for dinner. There is a 'smart' dress code for dinner - shorts not permitted. The hotel does not allow you to pay for drinks as you order - they are added to your room bill - and you pay at the end of your stay. There appeared to be only one draught beer/lager option and it was awful stuff - I heard several people say the same so they should review this. In addition the small beers were particularly small!
I know there have been some negative reviews on this hotel but our experience was very good. We did hear some guests complaining about some aspects of service in the restaurants such as not being allocated their own tables as they have enjoyed elsewhere on all inclusive packages. I think it should be noted that this is a very large hotel catering for several hundred people dining at various times and I think it makes it very difficult to cater for everyone's needs. A lot of guests appeared to be on all inclusive packages which would be our cup of tea. We felt that the restaurant service was fine - not top drawer but adequate.
Apart from renting bikes we did not really make use of the hotel facilities but it did appear to offer lots of options.The swimming pool area was very clean and was well equipped with sun beds. Access to the beach was easy via a secure gateway and there is a small shopping centre adjacent - also accessible via a side exit to the rear. The resort is well set up for both cycling and walking with lots of cycle paths as well as miles of dirt tracks through the hills and south along the coast. The main resort is about a 15 minute walk ( or 4euro by taxi)along the seafront which is very pleasant indeed. The resort was fairly quiet but very clean and we did hear very good reports about some restaurants including nestors and 15. Puerto del Rosario is a short hop on the bus if you want access to a much larger shopping centre.
We had no issues with the overall service and the reception staff were excellent - Gabriel in particular stood out for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 460 and I would suggest that any rooms from 450 - 465 will provide excellent sea v...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liam060

dear mister Liam,

Thank you so much for the review you have written about hotel Elba Carlota.
I really apreciate you writing such a positive and detailled review.
It is a great satisfaction for us to read, and I think it is also a very good source of information for our future guests.
Myself and all the staff are looking forward to your next stay here with us, please let us know if there is anything we can do to make it even more enjoyable for you!

Director.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Antigua
Hotel Elba Sara
29 mi away
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
Occidental Jandia Playa
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real

Been to Hotel Elba Carlota? Share your experiences!