“Great value break”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Syresham
The King's Head Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Syresham B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We used a Groupon voucher and for an amazingly low price this was a pleasant, very good value break. Admittedly as this was very cheap we had fairly low expectations but it was a "get away" night with friends and we were probably more accepting of small issues than we may normally have been for a higher cost break.

Not fantastic first impressions as we pulled up, the outside looks a little tired, but on entering the pub we had a pleasant welcome. The pub is obviously quite old with low ceiling beams for taller people (!), but was well furnished with a log fire in the hearth, which was kept going all evening, and a good selection of drinks.

We had a room in the annex at the side of the pub. The room was spacious and clean with a large bathroom area and plenty of hot water, a little bit of paint coming away in a small area and a crack in the shower footer were minor concerns.

The evening meal was in the small dining room, the starter platters were very good and the steak meal was OK, desserts were disappointing. Service was good with a young girl from the village providing light amusement for us during our meal.

Moving back into the bar at about 10:30 we were surpised that the place was deserted and the owners were basically shutting up for the evening, possibly a trait with small village pubs but we would have preferred to finish the evening with a night cap but felt under a bit of pressure to leave.

When looking to book breakfast we were surprised that the last booking was 8:45, we thought this a little early for a Sunday morning so didn't book, however we did find quite a good place in Brackley called Cincinnati Joe's (CJ's) American Diner, on the main street, which served a very good breakfast and was about 5 mins drive away.

Like I said, being realistic, this was a great value break for the money we paid, the Ritz it is definitely not.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My loverly wife brought me a meal and overnight stay at the kings head at syresham,to be booked at my leisure,so I decided to book Sunday the 23rd February 2014,my booking was confirmed by email and confirmation email was sent back to me from the kings head.me and my wife were so looking forward to this mini break away and to a nice meal.it was a 90minute drive from where we live and arrived mid,afternoon,there was minimal carparking and resulting in us having to park on the road 20metres away from the pub.On entering the pub we were hit with a horrible damp and unclean smell,as we got to the bar ,we were met by a miserable foreign woman,we told her we had a booking ,to which she replyed,no you haven't,to which we replyed,oh yes we have.the bar person then started getting very loud ,saying that we had booked the wrong day,my wife got her iPhone out and showed her the bookings,the bar person then said ,I thought you wanted to book the stay in April,and totally tried to to turn the booking blunder on me and my wife.she told us that we could have a room only as there was no chef that night,we told the very rude bar person that she could stick her room where the sun doesn't shine and then walked out,I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.please stay away from hell hole

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dave S
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We checked in on the 15th February, arriving an hour early, and we were quite prepared to sit in the bar and have a drink by the open fire, while we waited for the correct check-in time, but Magda advised our room was ready, and gave us the key straight away!
The steak was beautiful, one of the best we've tasted, and the chocolate soufflé was to die for( paid extra as this was outside the groupon offer) but well worth it :))
Our room was on the first floor, warm and cosy with crisp clean sheets.
Magda worked 12 hr shifts from midday, so it was understandable that Pedro did breakfast on his own, these guys work really hard at what they do, and it annoys me that people expect five star treatment for a £39 deal, get real people!
Breakfast was lovely for £6.95, it's not an 'all you can eat buffet' like some greedy peeps might expect, but it was nice and hot, along with toast, tea, coffee, orange juice cereals and cakes! What's not to like?

The locals that drink here regularly were very friendly and easy to talk to, and Magda and Pedro always found the time to chat to us.

Making our visit even more pleasant was the fact we got chatting, and have a laugh with other 'groupon couples' :)) It's what you make it!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louise G
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked a night here on a groupon on deal and didn't look at any reviews before we came. We were highly delighted both with the service we received and our room. The staff couldn't be more helpful and asked if our room was OK. We had a drink when we arrived and my husband was highly delighted with one of his favourite beers Theakstons XB and they had a good cocktail menu. We booked a table for dinner and the food and service were fantastic some of the best food Ive had. The room was across the courtyard in a lovely setting overlooking fields, was nice and warm and was nice and quiet. Not sure if the place has changed hands recently but the bad reviews certainly were not reflected in our experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms are located in a courtyard across from the main building so nice and quiet overlooking fields
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MABDerbyshire
Reviewed February 22, 2014

After reading reviews on here my partner and I were dubious to say the least. We were, however, pleasantly surprised. Check in was quick and hassle free, and our room was basic but clean. The food was lovely, we had a groupon voucher which included a steak meal, but we paid for starters and puddings and enjoyed it very much. The staff were friendly, especially the waitress and it was a nice, cosy atmosphere. The only downside was that the bed was extremely squeaky which interfered with my sleep a little but it wasn't the end of the world. Overall we were pretty pleased.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with a groupon voucher which was a night in the hotel with a steak dinner. The dinner was beautiful. Steak cooked to perfection and blue cheese sauce was do good I found myself licking the plate. The room however was not the best. Very warm and basic which is what we payed for. However we could hear the conversation of the couple next door to us and the couple on the other side woke us up when they came in a little later than us and had obviously enjoyed a few drinks. Breakfast was average but the staff were friendly and very accommodating. Would recommend the restaurant but not the stay if like me you are a light sleeper

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ngiculela
Reviewed February 7, 2014

On arrival found the place ok and reception check in polite, very local pub which you would expect from a village pub. Rooms in an adjacent converted barn with rooms upstairs and downstairs, colleagues had one downstairs and carpet very soiled, we had one upstairs served by a very rickety old steel staircase that did not give you a feeling of safety as very steep, and not fixed at the floor level properly, and the outside security light does not work and is open to the weather, it was raining and the steps being steep and metal with a small mat did little to make them safe. Rooms look nice but needs some simple cleaning to improve, cobwebs and very dusty around extractor fan, shower also leaks so floor gets wet and is under tiles, again some simple work to improve.

Restaurant meal was good, but we asked for a little bread extra and was charged £2.50 which for the extra we had was taking one, and I think if we hadn't asked we would have had the same.

We booked breakfast and was appalling, tables not set, tables sticky, was cold, dark and no fire lit, no music and only Pedro serving so nothing organised and took ages, only one empty orange juice jug out and no spare glasses which took ages and asking to sort, extra hot drinks again ages, and amount of toast for 4 people was inadequate, and after asking for more no more came. Breakfast was poor and at £6.95 each we would have been far better getting our money back and going elsewhere. As Pedro on his own (Wife had said evening before that no way was she getting up to help with breakfast in the morning, which clearly would have helped), the service was slow, and took ages.

Also I left an expensive shower gel only just opened in the shower, on contacting Pedro his comment was that the cleaners are told to clear the rooms and throw out anything, not a customer focused approach and even asking him to check with the cleaners he would not, and as I indicated I was sure they would not have thrown it out. If having customers stop in you B&B /hotel it seems a bad policy if you want customers to return, If it was my place I would keep a small box of items left so people could get things back, I was local enough to call in but clearly pedro was not interested in trying to help me!

Its a shame cause the meal was good, evening girl serving was very polite and helpful, rooms need some TLC, but they have lost the point about service.. And the breakfast was appalling and we seriously not worth the £28 for 4 people..

Room Tip: Downstairs unless they replace the stairs to first floor and extend them, and fix security light.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The King's Head Inn? Share your experiences!