“Gorgeously cosy B&B as well as great pub/restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of New Inn Winchelsea

New Inn Winchelsea
Ranked #2 of 5 Winchelsea B&B and Inns
London
“Gorgeously cosy B&B as well as great pub/restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed for one night in their Grand Double in Nov 2013.

Have dined at this inn many times and adore the food, especially their New Inn burger (see my other reviews), but got the chance to stay here too. Room was £85 without breakfast which was nice they offered an option to have breakfast added or not as I never usually get to have breakfast so would prefer not to pay for it.

Booked Grand Double room which had amazing views on village and St Thomas church and graveyard and memorial. The village is very quiet so noise isn't a problem. Had lovely french antique bed, sofa with lounge area, modern en-suite shower-room (with toiletries) and dressing table area. Amazingly quaint old bay window seat. Lots of comfy cushions make it feel like a home from home..but better than your own home. Could have stayed forever.

There's parking onsite and restaurant is open all day so handy for lunch or dinner. Staff as always are brilliant. Could not recommend it enough!

Room Tip: Go for Rm 1 - Grand Double with French antique bed and great village view!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Binfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went to Winchelsea as I had been once before in the 1970s only to find that it hadn't changed at all - still very tranquil village. After stroll round looking at village, had mid morning coffee at New Inn - friendly staff. Had a look at menu and found lots to choose from. In all we went to eat 3 times there this week and found the food lovely with very generous portions - my favourite was the chicken and ham pie in cider gravy - absolutely lovely + enormous chips were gorgeous. Lovely log fire on an Autumn evening was very welcome. Very pleasant barstaff. On Friday barman was on his own and really needed help as he was run off his feet; he was working very hard yet still remained pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oxney, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Lovely spot full of history, the bar staff were very pleasant but unfortunately the roast dinner was very poor. It had obviously been re-heated at least once, and gave up half way through eating it. There was no management present who I could complain to so had to settle for a discount which wasn't ideal , as it would have made me feel better to have been able to mention it to someone of authority.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
John T, Owner at New Inn Winchelsea, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your Sunday meal. I am able to confirm to you that all meat joints are sourced from a great local butcher and cooked freshly for Sunday lunch, as are all the accompaniments and home-made gravy.
We served a very high volume of meals on Sunday and were only made aware of one complaint for which a discount was given.
One complaint is, of course, one too many and I regret that we seem to have got something wrong in your instance.
I was around personally on Sunday but was called away urgently in the afternoon and regret that I could not have dealt with your issues in person at the time.
Once again, please accept my apologies for your disappointing meal but be assured that these instances are rare as testified by other reviewers.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
Rye, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

lazy day without the kids, a treat, Sunday lunch was the thing. The New Inn being local and known to us as cosy, seemed obvious, it all started well, red wine and a starter but when the roast dinners arrived we were very disappointed. I could go into detail but bad is bad and at £10 a pop complaints should be taken seriously. We left without eating them, paying for only one. I would like to have spoken to the landlord then, but was unable and called after, I felt he might want to be made aware and amend ... Unfortunately not so. When I did finally get through I was described as a nuisance caller, I was aware the Inn was busy, but he should have taken the trouble to offer to call me back at a more convenient time and listen in the interest of customer satisfaction, good practice and ensuring good standards are maintained in absence.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R0bins4
John T, Owner at New Inn Winchelsea, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Firstly, thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Sunday lunch. we pride ourselves that our roast joints come from a great local butcher and are freshly cooked every week for Sunday lunch, as are our potatoes and vegetables.
We serve a very high volume of lunches and receive complaints very rarely - in fact, we only had one complaint that day for which we apologised and gave a discount so it is odd that we have two very similar postings together on this site??
I was personally on site that day until being urgently called away on a family matter so I regret not having been able to respond to you in person at the time. I had overseen the food preparation that morning and, in fact, had thoroughly enjoyed a roast beef dinner myself before having to leave, so I am very surprised at your poor experience.
Nevertheless, I accept that sometimes we get it wrong and this would appear to have been your experience for which I apologise.
I am always interested in customer feedback, always take this seriously and take appropriate action. Your comments were noted from your phone call and investigated.
Once again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal at The New Inn and thank you for your feedback.
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This place was great. The hotel itself is very old, I would imagine 200 years plus but I stand to be corrected. We had a room upstairs, you need to duck your head when walking up the stairs as the ceiling is very low. The room itself was comfortable but a bit small. The bar and restaurant were very good and there's a nice beer garden out the back for those warm summer evenings. There are very limited dining options in the town itself so the pub is really the only place to go at night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was a cold & raining Saturday night. The pub was cosy and not heaving with people, with some character and also nice armchairs by the fire to sit in after food. We ordered scallops with garlic & white wine sauce and the steak with chips. They were cooked well, the steak medium rare as we like it with an excellent bearnaise sauce and the scallops were not overcooked (thank goodness). Overall it was a very nice place to sit, eat & drink for an evening.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

As the only place to eat in Winchelsea on a Sunday evening we had little choice but first impressions were encouraging - friendly service, some good beers with a couple of starters to share. But not much atmosphere and few customers which we put down to be it being a Sunday. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the main meals. Two of us had the local scallops with black pudding and chorizo (sounded promising) but the accompanying tagliatelle with one was inedible and the other with roasted new potatoes and 'greens' was poorly executed. The greens turned out to be badly cooked green beans and the potatoes were plain boiled and dull. A garlic and chicken Thai dish had burnt chicken.The only acceptable meal was a beef and ale pie but it too came with the awful green beans. We did complain at the time and were were given a small discount on one of the meals but overall it was not a good experience. Perhaps the kitchen was having an off night (6 October) as our experience seems to be at odds with other recent reviews here (which helped us feel confident about visiting the New Inn in the first place) but I would encourage the owners to take note to ensure good standards are maintained. I have very rarely had to leave poor reviews but I felt that I had no option in this instance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winchelsea
The Hope Anchor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winchelsea
Strand House
Strand House
#1 of 5 in Winchelsea

Been to New Inn Winchelsea? Share your experiences!