“vegetarians needn't apply!”

The Royal Arms Restaurant & Hotel
Leicester, United Kingdom
“vegetarians needn't apply!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Having pre-ordered a vegetarian meal (salad), I was expecting rather more for my money than I got! Half a packet rocket leaves, a few small slivers of cucumber and tomato topped with what seemed like a diced, whole red onion, with a tiny pot of dressing. This was supposed to be my main 'Christmas' meal and, with a melon/pineapple starter, chocolate pudding dessert cost me £22. Do not usually complain, and have eaten at this place previously. Please make more of an effort for non-meat eaters, we are a growing group you know! I get really fed up with restaurants who pay lip service to vegetarians and show very little creativity and imagination. So, all in all, very poor quality, quantity and overpriced - that's the really annoying part!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
West Kirby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed with 3 friends for a Christmas get to together. We'd booked 2 twin rooms and when we arrived we were given 1 twin and a double room. They eventually came to make the double into a twin, as it had taken so long to do we only had a limited time to get ready to go out.and didn't see the full extent of the state of the rooms. On our return, we noticed what a state the rooms were in!! They were absolutely filthy, dust everywhere, a broken toilet handle, dirty sink and shower head covered in mould, toe nail clippings on the floor.Then on pulling back the bed covers we discovered that the covers were dirty and stained and beds were broken and extremely dangerous. My bed sloped backwards and I was worried that it would collapse in the night so we had to put the mattress on the floor to be safe, I had an awful night and didn't sleep at all!! Reception was shut at that time and there was no one to help us. The next day my friend went to talk to the reception staff about all our problems and asked to speak to the manager, she was told that he wouldn't be in until 11am and shrugged her shoulders. We went to hand the keys in and were told that the manager would phone us between 12 and 1pm, he didn't. We left before having breakfast, extremely angry and upset as it had spoilt our weekend, we were just thankful that we'd gone out and not eaten there in the evening. The management obviously don't care and must have known about the broken beds. I think some customer services training is needed and a total refurbishment of the rooms. We go away frequently but would NEVER go back here, avoid at all costs.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rozzymo
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

OMG what can I say that is good about this AWFUL place... oh yes, the location is very nice so it's a shame that the hotel let's it down. Dusty room, grubby coasters with a glass on them so I decided it was probably wise not to drink out of them. Dated furniture, dusty floor equipt with toe nail clippings!! shower urgently needed attention and plugs fitted to low on wall so you couldn't use them and insert a plug... go figure! CRACKED WALL ELECTRIC SOCKET behind the bed, I kid you not :-( Also the bedding is grubby and stained and our beds were actually collapsed on the floor so one of our friends slept with her springy/creeky/dirty/old mattress on the floor amongst the dust and dirt. The list is ENDLESS to what is wrong with this horrible place and to top it all the staff are RUDE!

2 Thank Lucydoberman
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I and three friends stayed at this dreadful place this weekend and I will never stay there again. The room was filthy with stains on the bedding and a duvet that didn't even fit the bed!! Toe nail clippings from past residents, a mouldy unclean shower with cracked tiles and broken plug sockets. My friend's bed was broken and we had to put the mattress on the floor for her to sleep on......in a word disgusting!! But the final nail in the coffin was the attitude of the staff who shrugged their shoulders and demanded payment! The manager just point blank refused to speak to us!! We left, not eating breakfast very upset and angry!! All I can recommend to all is DO NOT go there!!

OLDHAM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed one night in this horrible place we hadn't noticed the beds before we got changed to go out but when we arrived home at around midnight and drew back the cover both of the twin beds were broke and had to sleep on the mattresses on the floor. Not clean and bedding was stained think very carefully before staying. I asked to speak to management but was told they don't start until 11 the staff were very friendly though.

1 Thank LINDA M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here with a friend last weekend we had a lovely stay!

The place is really sweet, quite romantic in a beautiful setting! The food was great and the cocktails delicious!!

All of the staff are so friendly and helpful and can't do enough for you!

In fact- I accidentally left some of my clothes at the hotel and they very kindly posted them back to me- no trouble at all, this saved me a 6 hour round trip getting them back!!

Thanks Royal Arms for a romantic, relaxed, friendly stay!

We intend to return soon! X

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chantelle08
Telford, Shropshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night with a Groupon voucher. The staff are very pleasant and helpful, food excellent, room large and well appointed, no complaints. Situated in the countryside, very quiet, great location to visit Bosworth Battlefield and walk. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 10, upstairs in stable block, very private.