“Great hotel, not so great food”

The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carshalton
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights this weekend. The hotel itself was lovely - comfortable, clean and modern. Nice shower, comfortable bed and yummy biscuits with the tea and coffee.
The staff on reception, behind the bar and serving breakfast were all lovely. Happy to help in anyway.
The only downside to this stay was the food. We ate in the restaurant on Friday night - the waitress got 2 parts of our order wrong and the food itself was of poor quality. The potato wedges were not cooked properly and the meat on the meat platter was full of fatty bits! My husband had the ice-cream for his dessert - the waitress went through the flavours they had...he decided on vanilla, mint choc chip and chocolate. She then came back and said mint choc chip was not an option after all, but he could have pistachio. So he decided on vanilla, pistachio and chocolate. He got pistachio, chocolate and strawberry!! We had waited so long for our food, we just could not be bothered to complain! So he just got on with his dessert...£5 for 3 scoops of what he described as a supermarkets budget range ice cream! Very disappointing.
But as I have said, the hotel itself was great and I would definitely recommend staying there, just eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms that look out on the pub car park can be a little noisy in the evening with pub goers leav...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly K

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I went here for the first time and had dinner with a friend. I had the chefs special, chicken and prawn sizzler, which was £14. The chicken was overcooked and the sauce was horrible. I also only got 4 prawns and a tiny amount of chicken. I will never eat here again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wallis484
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed for business but I'd stay on my own anytime. This is a classic English coach inn with very nice rooms, sufficient amenities, and a great staff. The rooms are quite large, very clean but there are only a few rooms so book early. The area is beautiful surrounded by a park and nature center. The staff worked overtime to help me with a small problem. Wifi is free but a bit spotty as you walk around.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2014

lovely pub bit noisy in main bar but we were shown to another bar which was cosy and quiet the rooms are lovely very clean and staff very helpful and friendly we were only there for one night as we had a party to go to the breakfast couldnt be faulted a very vast selection very nice outlook we were there in february but it would be lovely in the summer i would reccommend this pub

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coupleswindon
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was with a party of people .for special occasion lunch.

Starter was alright .Main courses -some cold plates.Some of the roast lunch vegetables were burnt and cold and overcooked.I had at vegetarian option which I thought was a vegetable pie as your Sunday menu says and it turned out to be a pile of burn vegetables swimming in fat .Dumped on the plate were two hard as a rock stuffing balls and a yorkshire.Asked for vanilla ice creams and mixed turned up half an hour later with the rest of the puddings

Last of all were were asked how many teas and coffees we.wanted god knows why when tea and coffee in containers were plonked down and were were asked to do the serving ourselves .
Do not believe how they had the cheek to charge a service charge after this serve yourself end to the meal.

Most of the time only one waitress was expected to serve a party of 24.
Each course was so long coming especially as our choice was down to two options per course .
I did wonder if the staff were more interested in the Football on the T.V .

I would have sent back my meal and vigourously complained at the time but did not want to upset the organisers who had hoped to use this occasion to remember a friends birthday

I can honestly say this is the worse vegetarian meal I have had out.

I certainly would not recommend any to come to your establishment

Sheila

l

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank c_wicks234
Meirion P, General Manager at The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Sheila,

Thank you for taking the time in communicating your disappointment in connection to your resent visit to my pub, I would like to take this opportunity to apologies for upsetting you and for what should have been a pleasant remembered experience for you turned out otherwise.

After a full investigation into what happened on Sunday, the feedback was positive from the rest of your party with regular communications between the organizers and my staff this resulting in an unexpected substantial tip for my staff, for which I thank you, this was very welcomed as we don’t charge a service charge you suggested in your comments.

I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations, I am more than happy to have a chat with you over the telephone or if you prefer please pop in, my telephone is 0208 6471511, it is not our intentions to upset you and on behalf of my team we are all very sorry.

Meirion Perring

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my night in this well-appointed room. It was cosy, nicely decorated and very comfortable. No noise from road or pub. Breakfast included was very nice - a little greasy but there's plenty of choice. Enjoyed my stroll around the ponds the next morning before being picked up.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Admittedly I didn't look into this hotel before booking as I was staying in the area for a friend's birthday party and she arranged the hotel accommodation, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

I stayed at the Greyhound Hotel with a friend and we shared a twin room. The room was a decent size with all the conveniences we needed. Beds were particularly comfortable with lovely thick duvets and pillows - we didn't want to get up! Shower pressure was extremely powerful...potentially too powerful but I'd rather it that way than have no pressure.

We didn't have much to do with the staff but when we did they were pleasant and helpful and service was speedy.

Our rate included breakfast which included a cooked breakfast of your choice (just to be aware, there is no specific veggie option aside from picking tomatoes, mushrooms etc) and danish pastries, cereal, fruit etc. A really good selection.

Overall a really pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank vicki411
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carshalton
Holiday Inn London Sutton
Best Western Plus London Croydon Aparthotel
Hilton London Croydon
Hilton London Croydon
#9 of 24 in Croydon
Travelodge London Wimbledon Morden
Premier Inn London Croydon (Purley A23) Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome

Been to The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel? Share your experiences!