“Poor Customer Service lets this Hotel down”

The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carshalton
Reviewed July 16, 2013

On arrival nobody on reception and we waited some time before finally being dealt with. Room was clean and bed very comfortable. Breakfast was good however only one waitress who was pleasant enough but we had to ask for bowls, then spoons and then ask her to take our bowls away so we could eat the cooked breakfast. We were out all day and on our return at midnight discovered the maid had not been into our room, so not happy at having no clean cups for a hot drink, or any milk to make the drink and no clean towels for a shower, and at midnight we really were not wanting to make a fuss. We did mention this to the receptionist/waitress on our departure but could tell it went in one ear and out the other.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandyB1722
Meirion P, General Manager at The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am very sorry that you did not receive the level of service that you expected when you last visited the Greyhound, I am so sorry for what must have been a very annoying situation for you both.

I have acted upon your constructive feedback and thank you for bringing this important service problem to my attention.

Would you be so kind as to contact me at The Greyhound Hotel at your earliest convenience on 0208 6471511 so I can express my sincerest apologies in person, this will also give me the opportunity to put things right.

Kind Regards

Meirion Perring

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a big pub with shaded seating outside and the beer is always well kept. Staff are friendly and its located opposite picturesque ponds. On the other hand, the tables are right next to the always busy road and £7 for a ham sandwich is taking the Michael . Fairly ordinary ham, ( and not much of it given the price) with that lazy English excuse for a salad, one quarter of tomato and a few desultory rocket leaves. A handful of chips on the plate, and I mean a handful, cost an extra £2. So that's a few pence short of £9 for a sandwich and a few chips. Why?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I am very sorry to hear that you feel the value of our sandwiches are not to your expectations, pricing of quality produce comes at a premium and at the Greyhound Hotel we strive to maintain the highest quality of food and drinks for our customers.

Guest satisfaction is our number one objective with this in mind I would like to ask if you could contact me direct on 0208 6471511, this will give me the opportunity to express my apologies in person.

Meirion Perring

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed overnight on business, positives, the room was very clean and had a good night sleep, the food was very good and as with the breakfast, good value for money. Negatives, pub and restaurant could do with some re decoration, service in the restaurant was very slow, however only waitress who was very pleasant and doing a very good job managing all the tables. Bar service was terrible at all times of the day having to wait a long time to get a drink at one point went down the road to another pub and got a drink with a warm welcome. Found the staff for a hotel not pleasant and not welcoming, could do with some training on customer service and and focus on there guests and be warmer, it as if there guests are not important. More training for staff on what they are doing there and why they work for hotel would make this a much better place, and be more observant this way all guests coming in the hotel may stay longer and purchase more drinks and food instead of taking there business to another establishment

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here prior to a wedding locally. Firstly the positives the room was quite good with flat screen TV and coffee and tea making facilities. The complimentary toiletries seemed have more shampoo than shower gel but was ok and the shower was very good with plenty of hot water. There it ends the place looks a bit tired with paint flaking off outside and in our bathroom. Also outside whilst there are bins to put cigarette ends in there were loads dropped on the floor around the en trance and whilst the bins were emptied the floor was not swept clean. The steak was overlooked and tough yet they say it is the best. I did not send it back as I did not want to upset the bride and groom who had booked the hotel for us. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles on both days with no marmalade or even jam the first morning a Saturday and the second morning we were told the hot water machine had broken down so the manager said no one could have tea only coffee. I asked why they could not use a kettle but no. So as quite a few of us did not drink coffee we boiled our kettle in the room and brought it downstairs into the restaurant. A small kettle yet it provided 5 cups. Sorry we were not impressed! This is one of the few very disappointing reports that I have had to write. Finally when my husband used the hair dryer when we found the plug behind the table in the bedroom it was covered with a thick layer of dust. Doubt we will be visiting here again

Room Tip: Rooms at the back were quiet in the annexe
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bikerbabe07
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times, preferring to stay in pub hotels to chain motel style brands. The staff a re good, rooms decent, free reasonably fast wifi, food and breakfast are good and it's nice quiet pleasant area, much nicer than some of the surrounding areas, I also recommend this to people when they ask for a hotel. I think I will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This has to be the worst service my family & I have ever received at a hotel, Shockingly bad. We had paid £178.00 for 2 nights B&B @ this hotel and we had also booked a fair few rooms for family & friends. Lets start with the 1 single positive the rooms were a lovely design, clean & spacious. Now the Breakfast what a joke this was, on the first morning there were no tables so we were told to sit down whilst we waited for a table to be cleared, most tables were empty but they had dirty plates, cutlery, tea cups just left on them as the waitresses were slow and uninterested and when we finally sat down there was no cutlery, 1 cup with no saucers, no spoons for the coffee we had to ask for these as they never arrived! Then onto the breakfast selection we put our order in for cooked breakfasts ordered coffee & some more cups and went to get juices etc from the limited selection but guess what no glasses, fruit juices were empty, coffee was not being made in the machine the selection was awful the girls working were terrible. We then got told there was no Tea! Yes CUP OF TEA! for breakfast & no marmalade. The breakfast itself was Ok but we were so shocked at the limit items it ruined the breakfast. Does Chef know that his waiting staff are Dire & spoiling his restaurant. We ate breakfast @ 9.30 so it was not to late so there was no excuses.
The second morning breakfast started off the same no cutlery, spoons, cups or saucers & this time there was no hot water to make tea the boiler had broken! We were told by a rude young lady that we should go back to our room & boil the kettle in our room to make tea! so we did we went back to the room boiled a kettle & brought the kettle down to the restaurant to make a cup of tea!!!!

Also i should mention my partner was having a bath on day 1 when she had a knock on the door at 11.30 am and a girl from reception said we should have vacated the room at 11am! We had booked for 2 nights & i rang the reception the evening before to confirm we had 2 nights.
We also had problems checking out when members from our party were extra charged for prepaid rooms all in all a terrible experience I would love to here some feedback from management as they did not appear to be in the hotel this weekend. Very Very Unhappy customers who do not recommend this hotel to anyone on the way they treat there paying guests Shockingly Bad.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Pitchisshifter
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would stay at the Greyhound again. It is an attractive series of buildings in a charming historic location. The hotel accommodation building is well presented and the rooms spacious, comfortable, clean, stylish and offer all necessary for a good night's sleep or for whiling a few hours away. At the late booking deal I enjoyed this accommodation is truly excellent value.

However all is not well at the Greyhound. The old Pub/Inn building in which the reception and dinning rooms are situated is a little too worn and lacklustre - but pleasant enough and serviceable. The real weakness is in the front of house staff. When I arrive back in the late evening there were members of staff clearly the worse for drink at the bar. The following day the breakfast staff were sloppy and disengaged with the concept of professionalism and hospitality. We could overhear staff conversations that were irreverent and careless - about vodka consumption.

As we finished breakfast, a reasonable if unmemorable English-Breakfast cooked standard, an American hotel-guest with two young boys arrived to ask if they were too-late for breakfast - they were by literally a couple of minutes only - they were told they had missed the kitchen. That was a hard-hearted uncaring stance. They were directed to the greatly depleted and scruffy buffet counter which was dull when we arrive at 9.00 and now looked all but entirely consumed - nothing seriously for two hungry small boys to forage on. They were not offered a tea/coffee or any other option. Mean. Fail.

The 'pub' area needs some attention to knock it into shape - not so much about money but lacking an interested eye for detail and the resolve to keep it looking right. The same with the staff. They need knocking into shape and encouraging to remain at that level (except for the room maid who made good eye contact and with a happy smile). This is a management issue and whilst the accommodation was fine the public areas are out of sync and verging on the dysfunctional. There were other little staff related issues I noted too.

So I score this hotel as an 'average' but the rooms are better than that, they are good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cerfuffle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carshalton
Holiday Inn London Sutton
Hilton London Croydon
Hilton London Croydon
#10 of 24 in Croydon
Travelodge London Wimbledon Morden
Best Western Plus London Croydon Aparthotel
Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

Been to The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel? Share your experiences!