“Nice coffee”
Review of Costa

Costa
Ranked #13 of 17 Quick Bites in Hitchin
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Coffee and cakes always nice and fresh but service is very slow and often tables are not cleared for ages general cleanliness of cafe is very average

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (16)

Reviewed May 31, 2019

Went with a friend for coffee and rolls. The chap and his wife were before me who gave their order and the guy asked me for my order and then charged the chap in front for my order too. It took sometime to sort out as the guy serving us was so confused. This should never have happened in the first place. What happened to training. Tables clearing but no cleaning done on the tables. Will not be returning

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed August 20, 2018

Costa's in Hitchin is always very busy, the staff are rushed off their feet but remain friendly & cheerful. The coffee is very good & if not happy they will replace it for you. It's friendly & relaxed if you don't mind how busy it is!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

fast friendly service but wooden dado rails around the room were really dusty and walls dirty .. cakes were very dry

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed January 3, 2018

I had a horrible experience here yesterday after going in to get a takeaway coffee. I approached the till area which was empty, with a male member of staff behind the counter doing nothing (so I assumed free to serve me). A couple of people then arrived beside me and were asking about items which either had or didn't have certain ingredients. He proceeded to serve these people without ever acknowledging me.
I don't know where these people had arrived from but I reasoned that maybe, prior to my arrival, they'd spoken to the staff member and then gone back to the very end of the counter to look for food, so perhaps that's why he served them first. However, there had definitely been no one ready and waiting to be served that I was aware of (and he hadn't been preparing any coffee) as I arrived at the till. If this was the case, I feel he could have said something to me like, 'I'll just serve these people and be with you in a moment'..something at least to indicate to me that they'd been first in the queue (even though they really didn't appear to have been). However, this isn't really the issue that upset me.
It took some time for the couple beside me to have their order completed and a female member of staff then appeared and asked, 'Is anyone waiting for a drink?'. Because this sounded as if she was asking if anyone was waiting for an order that they'd already placed, I said, 'I am, but I haven't been served yet'. This wasn't said as a complaint; it was just so that she would know that I hadn't yet placed an order. She then really abruptly and rudely said to me, 'The queue is that way' and pointed to where another man had now joined the couple behind me. I was so taken aback and embarrassed that I barely knew what to say. I said, 'I know..' and was going to add, '..how to queue' but I was already mortified enough without drawing attention to myself. I SHOULD have said, 'Actually, I was here first', but at the time I didn't want to offend the people behind me. What I did do was simply say, 'It doesn't matter' and leave. I then went to Starbucks.
Luckily there is a choice of coffee shops in Hitchin because i won't be back to this one. It's a shame, as my young daughter and i have enjoyed visiting together in the past, but I would never now go back as I wouldn't want to risk encountering either of these members of staff. This staff member just assumed I'd jumped the queue without even giving me the benefit of the doubt or asking me what had happened, when in fact the truth was that her colleague had entirely ignored me.

Date of visit: January 2018