All reviewstwin roomfamily run hotelbiscuitscouple of nightslovely market townold buildingpubs and restaurantsideal locationquaint hotelperfect staythe hotel car parkold fashionedcomfortable roomsshort staygood sizefamily roomthe pub
Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

On the whole, this hotel is clean and adequate. Making it suitable for short stays, but there are a few key areas that need to be improved in order to take this to the next level. I appreciate that the building is 300years old, however this fact does not help when you can hear every footstep, conversation and television within the rooms near you - which means that the quality of your stay is left at the mercy of whoever is staying min the rooms above and next to you. Upon arrival we were shown a map and carefully told where we could get a discount at nearby restaurants, which I found strange as we not only had the map but could simply look them up online; perhaps ask guests if they'd like to be shown, as my Mother was having a gastric bypass and so didn't really want to hear about food!

Another problem was the shower in Room 2, as the temperature setting did not work and so was permanently too hot; where as the draughty windows meant that the room became quite cold during the night! The breakfast (pictured) was alright, with nice and accommodating staff, but the mushrooms were tinned and I suspect other aspects of the breakfast weren't as fresh as they could have been. I've also never been rung up to be reminded about when to check out, it came across as if I was being ushered to leave... But when we're told that check out was "between 10:30 and 11:00" I don't expect cleaners knocking on my door and phone calls at 10:31.

For a short stay, this place does a decent enough job. But it is at just lacking that extra attention for detail.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights and found the staff courteous and friendly considering the confusion ( on my company's part) over bookings.
Breakfast was good, and ample. I think you need to specify bath or shower as the rooms differ in this regard. I'd be happy to go back. There's also a good pub next door which helps. A clean towel every day,none of this "save the planet" nonsense to keep their laundry bill down.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

Easy to find and centrally located. Has a small car park, probably big enough for the size of the B&B. We only stayed one night. Some of the staff didn't seem very friendly, although the receptionist working on Sunday was very nice and helpful. The Room was nice and complementary water was left for us, which was most welcome given the hot weather. The room was very warm. The shower wasn't very powerful but this didn't bother us. We didn't enjoy the breakfast: We had the vegetarian option and the 'vegetarian sausage' was some sort of deep fried vegetable mix I think. The mushrooms were very oily and we found a little mould on the toast. It was nice enough for a two star, but I probably wouldn't eat there again.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2016

Had heard varying reports of this hotel but was only room available in Hitchin so booked and was pleasantly surprised . Twin room comfortable, bathroom squeezed in but everything worked. Good breakfast and very hospitable management.
These days too many people. Complain about the slightest problem and have too great an expectation. But for the money £70 for 2 twin room en suite with full English breakfast The Lord lister is good value.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2016

We checked in at the Lord Lister after a wonderful day and was greeted with a congratulations from a very welcoming manager. She really made us feel at ease leading us out to a beautiful flower garden for us to relax for the latter of our evening. The room itself was stunning, amazing four poster bed, a beautiful bathroom with a nice large bath. All our personal needs were met and we loved the attention to detail from the welcome chocolate on the pillow to the lovely flowers on the dresser and they had even gone out of their way to hand write us a wedding card. We had a lovely nights sleep and before breakfast I was a little cheeky and went on the hunt for some dust because the room was so clean, I couldn't find anything at all. We were welcomed again by the manager on arrival downstairs and was led into the dining room. The breakfast was faultless and only equalled by the polite service given to us from our waitress. Before leaving we were sent off with a message of good luck for the future from the manager. This place is highly recommended and the management and their team should be very proud of the hard work they all put into this establishment. We will defiantly be back!!!

Room Tip: Highly recommended and homely
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple