“Gold Star for service”

Ranked #29 of 182 Restaurants in Hitchin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our first trip to this welcoming and well run pub. The food quality was way in excess of what we would have expected from a "local". Freshly produced food that looked and tasted delicious, and at a sensible price. Even although we had a minor problem, it was dealt with immediately and resolved, with a heartfelt apology.

The range of food on offer was great - traditional Sunday roasts, plus an inventive special. There is plenty of space for diners, some of which is in a slightly quieter area at the back. There is also a pretty courtyard garden at the back, away from the traffic.

If I lived in Hitchin, this would certainly be a regular haunt for me. The Real Ales change regularly and are well kept. The pub has a friendly, family-orientated atmosphere that is becoming increasingly hard to find these days. Occasional live music that is very popular. Well done, Victoria!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great priced pub food. Always friendly staff. Some great events including vic festival and ROW this year. Love the Saturday brunch.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Where to start.
The venue is in an amazing location which is extremely welcoming on entry.
The staff are great very friendly and make you feel welcome.
The customers are perfect a great mix and the pub is always a hive of activity.
The food is first class and a Sunday lunch take the strain out if a busy weekend.
There are so many local events at the Vic that make it part of the community.

A must for all whether eating, drinking or a music lover.

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This little pub on the corner is awesome.

The food is brilliant all of the time and I'm convinced the brunch has saved my life more than a few times!

Roasts are great and they do lots of other food nights throughout the week.

Drinks are great and reasonably priced, and the staff are all lovely. It's got a bit of a village pub vibe about it, except it is always busy and has a great atmosphere.

Best pub in Hitchin!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Vic is what I call (sorry Miranda) a traditional pub. It’s a great classic looking building the kind that would sit well in Albert Square. The kind of place that makes you feel welcome. A good wholesome bunch of patrons, and clearly some regulars (evening Olivia). The other point I would like to make about The Vic, is the effort they put into it. I have never seen any other pub that tries so hard to come up with unique and fun ways to keep their punters entertained. From running photography lessons, to burlesque nights, to cheese and wine tasting, to traditional pub quizzes. For this I take my hat of to them, anyway on with the food review. On this particular night, it was "Monday Supper Club" basically it’s time for the chef to use up all those unwanted ingredients, and a time you can get a 3 course meal for £13.

Starter: The deviled whitebait

Ok I love whitebait, I mean I love white bait. I have hunted high and low supermarkets; fish mongers everywhere and can't get this stuff for love or money. So whenever on the menu it’s a given. Presentation was good and the fish was lovely and crispy in its light batter. The devil (i.e. the heat) started off ok, and the aioli was a refreshing accompaniment, but by the time I was finished the heat was a little too much. However the others loved it so it was just my taste. Overall very enjoyable.

Main: Beer battered fish goujons and chips

A nice and well presented dish, fish and chips is fish and chips at the end of the day. However the chips were very rustic with their skin on and a great taste. Fish was nice and moist in a crispy batter. A simple dish cooked very well.

Desert: double chocolate brownie and vanilla ice cream stack

Sorry but this is where it went a little wrong for me. The brownie was lovely and sticky, and the ice cream and sauce was excellent. The problem here was quantity. No not in a I am a fat git and need more, but in a where was it way? Ok the pic looks good, but come on the menu said brownie first then ice cream, to be honest it was a wafer thin brownie base, big ice cream and another wafer thin brownie. However it was yummy!

My final thoughts overall, the food in the Vic is great, very tasty and a good variety from your standard pub grub to the posher nosh. Value for money excellent for the Supper Club, all this for £13. However given my desert would have been £4.75 on its own I would be interested to see how I felt at full price. But a good night had by all, thanks Vic.

Service and venue: 4/5