“Best Sandwich Ever?”

Chilli Banana Unique Sandwich Bar
Ranked #3 of 183 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Chilli B offers a unique menu with imaginative food, freshly prepared just for you. No pre-packaging allowed here.The new Lounge is chilled out in a beautiful restored shop, just off the market square in Hitchin. Please note that we do NOT proclaim we are a restaurant but we care about service and good food.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was recommended this establishment by a friend who swears by the place. I joined the back of a queue which was almost out the door, a clear sign of the popularity of the place. I had opted for a american club sandwich, but as I approached the front of the queue I heard several people place orders for 'Texas'. Noticing that this was one of the hot griddles called 'Texas Chainsaw Moussaka,' I decided to jump on the band wagon and order one...and I'm so glad I did.

Since my initial visit I have returned to Chilli B's several times and each sandwich has been exceptional, with a special mention for Lord of the Bling. However, the 'Texas' was perfection itself, I would maybe go as far as to say that this is the BEST SANDWICH I HAVE EVER HAD...just maybe.

2  Thank trickyDB

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Lovely unique and quirky little gem tucked away down a little side street. The staff are very friendly and despite the venue being tiny we got s table quickly. Decoration and atmosphere is wonderful, lovely artwork to admire!

Food: fresh and hot, good range of sandwiches and Palin's. Love the fact the menu has suggestions, with combinations which you may not have thought of. The only down side is that if your a veggie (like who went with) there is very little on the menu to inspire you so you would have to be creative yourself! Also when asking they weren't able to tell us if the cheese was veggie. Any how, the halloween cakes were yummy and we left full and content,

Prices aren't cheap, but in my opinion you get what you pay for!! You must visit!

chillibanana, Owner at Chilli Banana Unique Sandwich Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Hello

Thank you for posting a lovely review. We will need to double check The Lounge menu because we actually do quite a few vegetarian options. The On The Run menu is condensed for The Lounge so something we will review.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Went to see what the fuss was all about and I was NOT disappointed! I enjoyed a 'Wild Bunch' on ciabatta in their seating area. I was very impressed. Already thinking about when I can go again. It's great to support a local business and I intend to do so, again and again and again! Great value for money too. Hurrah!

Hello

Thank you for an amazing review. So pleased you enjoyed your first Chilli B and love the fact that you are passionate about supporting local businesses. Without us little independents the whole world will be one big shopping centre with every shop the same wherever you went. How boring!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

i feel this is over rated,why its a place for bread with filling its nothing special ,do not understand how it could be classed as a restaurant ,its not. its one up from a subway with a twist, my words is some way yank style sandwich in relaxed setting no way can a sandwich bar be a restaurant. nothing great breads bought in could be delice de france but maybe brake or 3663? so not home made coleslaw lacking ,bland , sad again ,maybe the owner watching channel 48 on freeview ,

3  Thank spikler
chillibanana, Owner at Chilli Banana Unique Sandwich Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for such an eloquent review!!!!

Just to put the record straight we do not watch Freeview 48 because we are too busy serving great food to people that actually love what we do. The slaw is homemade and customers buy it by the pot so sorry you didn't like it, guess you can't please everyone.

Call us cynical, but this review is posted on the back of an objection to our alcohol license by someone that sells food very close by! You haven't mentioned what you've eaten. Yes some of our bread is from Delice de France and if you're close by you would know that.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

A few months ago, we visited Chilli B and we reviewed it, not giving excellent for all areas. But now, am eating my words, if you excuse the pun. We visit most Saturdays and the food is delicious as many reviews indicate. What makes this place special is the staff. The guy in charge is so attentive. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
I particularly like when I ask for ' milk on the side', it comes in a lovely jug.
All our favourite things. My husband had egg, bacon and toast and there was masses. Lovely food, staff, ambience.
So excellent in all areas. Thankyou chilli b .

chillibanana, Owner at Chilli Banana Unique Sandwich Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Much appreciated review.