“Cute!”
Review of Hitchin Lavender

Hitchin Lavender
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Hitchin
More attraction details
Owner description: We're a family owned and run farm. During the summer months (check the website for precise dates)we're open to visitors who are able to wander up and down the miles of lavender rows we grow. We also have a small gift shop and offer light refreshments too. Coach groups or large parties are only possible by prior booking. Hope to see you soon!
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Hitchin Lavender is a lovely place. There is free parking on site. Also, there is a large barn that has been transformed into a cafe where they sell cold and hot drinks, cakes, other baked goods and (if I remember correctly, pre-made) sandwiches. We didn't grab a bite to eat here so I can't comment on the food. The barn is lovely inside with several tables. When the sun shines, I imagine it would be lovely to have a drink or bite to eat at one of the tables outside. In addition, there are a variety of lavender products on sale, from honey to toiletries inside the barn. There were also lavender plants on sale, too.

The lavender field itself was a sight to see. Although it isn't as big as some of the pictures may lead you to believe, it was sufficiently plentiful and gorgeous in my opinion. Although I was anxious of all the bumble bees at first, they didn't seem to mind me cutting a bunch of lavender to take home. In fact, they seemed pretty friendly. One landed on my husband's hand for a few seconds then just flew away. Some of the lavender overgrows into the path so it may brush up against your legs. I would suggest wearing long trousers and trainers. I'm not a big fan of nature (with bees) brushing up against my legs.

If you're keen on clipping some lavender to take home, it might be worth noting that they grow a few varieties. You can see the difference in the flower as well as the color and in its scent.

As another poster suggested, take your camera as the views make for great photos!

2  Thank Smithie04
in 19 reviews
"great afternoon"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Having lived in Hitchin for nearly 10 years, we visited Hitchin lavender for the first time this summer and what a treat. Such a calming and beautiful place with the added benefit of a gorgeous little tea room. Definitely worth a visit!!

3  Thank Claire H
Reviewed November 25, 2013

OK, bit unkind, but there is a reason that Hitchin's Lavender Fields are populated by Seniors, Brownie Packs and miserable school kids. Granted it's a pretty first sight, but then it wears a bit thin. Granted you can pick a bunch. Granted you can buy more products made from Lavender than you can shake a bee sting at, but...

But IF you ain't REALLY big into Lavender...

3  Thank Blighter2013
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Really pleasant afternoon out that my son (8) enjoyed. The only downside was that my father (who is disabled) still had to pay for a bag and scissors even though he had no intention of collecting lavender and his mobility prevents this - he just wanted to sit on the bench and watch up - but had to pay - so that was a bit of a con when 5 others of us paid. Cute little shop.

2  Thank LadyLoco