“Hmmmm.”
Review of The Farmhouse

The Farmhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Farmhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 183 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Stevenage and Hitchin Railway Stations on the Kings Cross to Edinburgh line.
Description: The Farmhouse at Redcoats, situated in the hamlet of Redcoats Green, Hertfordshire, dates back to the 15th century and boasts 4 acres with stunning views across the rolling Hertfordshire countryside. With 12 country style guest rooms, a 45-cover conservatory restaurant and various charming private dining rooms, you can experience genuine farm-to-table dining, relax in the Old Kitchen and snug sitting rooms, enjoy an afternoon tea in our gorgeous gardens or stay over and make yourself at home in our bespoke bedrooms, each one boasting its own historic features. Now part of ACInns, the Farmhouse at Redcoats is open for the next chapter in its illustrious history, however it will be kept as a ‘way of life’ as it always has been.
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had dinner tonight. Service was definitely not starchy. Nor service in any sense. From walking in, we had to ask for everything, nothing was offered. But that could have been a part of the charm of the place, since it certainly has the potential for character, if the evening had hit heights in other ways. Unfortunately the food was so unpleasant that nothing could compensate. Glutinous overused, undercooked cornflour in a so-called chowder and burnt pheasant left us both feeling queasy. Being overcharged seemed in keeping with the whole experience.
A bad day at the office for chef and waitresses.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Visited for Sunday lunch with my wife and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent and we could not fault the service. We certainly plan to return in the future.

1  Thank malcsn
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Went here for dinner with friends, after seeing a review about the restaurant in hertfordshire life,expecting perfection,and we were quite disappointed.

In essence,the building is pretty,authentic beams in the bar,rustic feel to the whole environment,so hopes were high,but so many things were wrong.

Firstly,service was appalling,left for at least 30 mins before our drinks order was taken,then another 30 mins before our food order was taken,by this time,we were hungry and bored! When eventually we were taken to our table,it was in a rather basic looking conservatory with cane chairs.

This environment did not compliment the food,which was delicious,and rather downgraded the whole evening.

To summarise,food was excellent,service bad,and therefore an expensive evening,rather disappointing,and to cap it all,we were never offered coffee,and at 11pm,we felt they were waiting for us to leave!

Would not return.

1  Thank Kanga81
Ben G, General Manager at The Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Kanga81,

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing evening at Redcoats. I am glad that you enjoyed your food but it is troubling that the service you received was not good enough. The most common reason for a delay is if there has been a misunderstanding about the reservation time. This should have been explained on the phone when booking and again upon arrival. If this was the case then I am very sorry that this wasn't properly communicated to you. I am very sorry you weren't offered coffee.

We have three dining rooms, each with an individual character. The conservatory, with Lloyd Loom chairs and a high ceiling, is intended to create a relaxed and informal atmosphere. Our other dining rooms in the older parts of the house are slightly more formal. I'm sorry the conservatory did not meet your expectations.

I would like to reassure you that our staff expect to be at work until midnight, often later however I am very sorry for anything we did that you felt unwelcome. I will be bringing this up with our team at our next staff meeting

Kind regards,
Ben Gainsford

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our family took my mother to Redcoats for afternoon tea on her 80th birthday. We were greeted in a friendly manner and shown to our table in the conservatory. Whilst we were offered and delivered tea and coffee shortly after arrival that was it for an hour. No staff returned to our table until the pitifully small three tier stand between 11 of us arrived. It was difficult to get the waiting staff's attention and I did not want to be getting up and walking to the bar to attract anyone's attention.

The scones looked beautiful but were doughy and undercooked in the centre. The sandwiches were lovely but there simply weren't enough. likewise with the tea and coffee. I can happily forego quantity for quality but at £15 per head this was just poor value. I also think that if you are offering afternoon tea in this day and age a bit of china, a decent tea pot and a cafetiere wouldn't go amiss rather than the basic "conference ware" on the table.

My mum had a lovely time with her family so we didn't complain at the time but overall the majority of us were very disappointed.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently met with some colleagues for a lunch here. Very relaxed pre-lunch drinks in the bar ... our lunch orders were taken in the bar, prior to us being seated. The lunch menu was quite varied with some very interesting options. The food was excellent and portions were sensibly sized. Service was not quite as efficient as it was on my last visit. The only disappointment was that they had run out of the lemon tart and the eve's pudding that I chose instead seemed to be a treacle pudding? (Well, there was no apple in it.)

Overall, a very pleasant lunch.