“Lovely dinner, lovely staff”
Review of The Farmhouse

The Farmhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Farmhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 183 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Stevenage and Hitchin Railway Stations on the Kings Cross to Edinburgh line.
Description: The Farmhouse at Redcoats, situated in the hamlet of Redcoats Green, Hertfordshire, dates back to the 15th century and boasts 4 acres with stunning views across the rolling Hertfordshire countryside. With 12 country style guest rooms, a 45-cover conservatory restaurant and various charming private dining rooms, you can experience genuine farm-to-table dining, relax in the Old Kitchen and snug sitting rooms, enjoy an afternoon tea in our gorgeous gardens or stay over and make yourself at home in our bespoke bedrooms, each one boasting its own historic features. Now part of ACInns, the Farmhouse at Redcoats is open for the next chapter in its illustrious history, however it will be kept as a ‘way of life’ as it always has been.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had an early Friday evening dinner on bright but cool evening. The members of staff were kind and attentive. The menu was varied and interesting, and the food was served attractively and promptly, was well-cooked and delicious. We chose wine by the glass and a wide range of good wines was available. Notable was the good range of cheeses although it would have been helpful if our server had been able to name and describe them in more detail.Altogether a lovely evening.

1  Thank David L

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had an absolutly supream evening... My partner and I both had the crab bruschetta which is on par with the best resturante s on the Cornish coast... I then had venison to follow which was better than I've had at top london establishments my partner had a fillet steak which apart from being man sized portion (she couldn't finish so I did) was cooked to absolute perfection and was happy to pay the slightly higher than most price.... Crystal our waitress was more than helpful and felt with all our needs and did not have to ask for a single thing.... The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact I had to drive myself home when I would of loved to stay the night if the rooms are half as nice as the food then I would of been in heaven!! Next time ill be staying for sure!! Many thanks to all who were responsible for such a faultless evening!!

1  Thank Averyawkwardcustomer
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I love this restaurant and visit regularly .
I had a surprise birthday party here, and the meal and service were 10 out of 10.
always a pleasure to eat here.
V & C

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Afternoon Tea at the Redcoats is not what it used to be! Used to love their dainty sandwiches and scones but the quality has definitely gone down. I took some friends to treat them and left feeling embarrassed..I knew my friends were disappointed and I was mortified... The finger sandwiches were soooo small that they would only have been suitable for a baby. I calculated that all the small pieces served were the equivalent of 3 crustless sandwiches divided between four people I had asked that one portion be served without mayonnaise for one person so we were served a cut up sandwich of egg which was cut so small that the contents (which I can only call egg crumbs) fell out as soon as we try to pick the ridiculously small pieces. We were served a cucumber sandwich which had evidently been cut on a wet surface as each small piece had one "soggy" side and one cut up ham sandwich with mustard - the bread was so thin that it disintegrated on picking it up. We had four miscellaneous pieces of cakes three of which unfortunately were very dry - clearly not fresh. Apart from that the tea and the coffee were lovely and so were the scones. Still an experience none our party will repeat and we will take our afternoon tea elsewhere from now on ! I do not mind paying for quality but I hate being taken for a ride!

4  Thank nelly_m_sutherland
Ben G, General Manager at The Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear about your poor experience of Afternoon Tea at Redcoats last month. I have fed back your comments to the kitchen as clearly the sandwiches were below our usual standard. There should have been 6 rounds of sandwiches for a party of 4 so I am very sorry that you only received 3 rounds. I am also very sorry about your dry cakes - we have been working with a new cake supplier and this has led to a few similar problems. Please rest assured that we are dealing with this issue. We do take pride in what we do and quality is our top priority. That said things do occasionally go wrong and it is unfortunate that this recent experience has left you not wanting to return. Should you reconsider please get in touch with me as I would like to offer you a complimentary afternoon tea to demonstrate that this was a one-off.
Best wishes,
Ben

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We went back to Redcoats for my husband's 40th birthday at the beginning of May. We had stayed before back in February and although the food was fantastic the overnight stay was less than comfortable. What a change... We had an amazing meal, seated in the conversatory, I had the crab starter followed by the garrick steak and to finish the creme brulee with lavender ice cream and lavender shortbread. Not being a fan of creme brulees normally I was swayed by the lavander ice cream and I was not disappointed. Our room had been recently re-decorated and refurbished. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. The breakfast in the morning was lovely. We will definitely be going back.