“go and try for yourself x”
Review of Just Desserts - CLOSED

Just Desserts
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
“go and try for yourself x”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

after reading the reviews on here I was a bit worried. I had nothing to fear. it does exactly what it says 'just desserts'. I had no problems what so ever and will definitely be returning. xx

“Shabby, but certainly not chic.”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I want to like this place, but I just cant. It is a great idea let down by a miserable owner and poor staff.

I keep giving this place a chance, but every time I leave dissapointed. The first sense of dissatisfaction came when I had a sundae at Just Desserts late 2012, it was full of promise but in the end turned out to be full of rock hard bits of shell that chipped a tooth and cut the inside of my mouth. At that stage, I wasn't prepared to continueeeating the sundae so left it to one side and finished my sub standard coffee whilst my dining partner finished her waffle, which by all accounts was very nice. When asked if everything was ok with out dishes, I informed the waitress of the issues with the sundae, and in all fairness it was immediately removed from the bill. What I didn't then appreciate was the owner harrasing me as I left the premises, telling me I was mistaken and that it never happens there.

Time passes I am tempted back. Today (09/02/13) I visit once again and once again I leave with a bitter taste in my mouth. We arrive and are told there is a short wait, fine, we were happy to wait it must mean they've stepped up their game. Wrong.

In the 30 minutes we were waiting, we were not offered a menu to browse nor a drink. After our wait, we were not shown to our table, rather told where it was by a waitress with a hell of an attitude problem with no apology for the delay.

Upon arrival at our table, we were presented with a scabby couch and a table that was not only disgustingly dirty, but so low that any human being with more than 7% of their overall height in their torso could not possibly have eaten anything in any sense of comfort.

At this stage, I gave up and left, failing to comprehend how an establishment that is run by a grumpy, passive aggressive manager who appears to despise the industry she is in and staff who are incompetent is so popular.

Avoid.

3 Thank iammilk
Hertfordshire
“A great place to go for a catch up with friends! Plus Dessert!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I do actually love it here - I went last night and decided it should get a review, but I have been going there regularly for about 2 years. Its the fail safe place to go between me and my friends. I think I should recieve a loyalty card! Not that it needs me to introduce people - its always busy, after a few disappointments I have learnt that booking is vital!

During the day its great for a cuppa and freshly baked cakes and a good natter - .they even have a kids selection and toys to keep the little one's entertained. In the evening a nice glass of wine and a ice cream sundae or waffle - so yum!

The atmosphere is so relaxed I always ending staying longer here than I do at resturants where I have full 3 course meals. I've never been pressured to move on.

My top recommendation - the luxury hot chocolate!!! Like a dessert in itself!

• Visited February 2013
Hitchin
“Coeliacs beware”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visited today, having been a customer for years and was most disappointed with the service. I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease and therefore can't have anything containing gluten. They do not offer gluten free cakes, so I asked whether I could eat my own cake. They refused, the only place I have been where this has been the case. This was often the attitude years ago but now most cafes/restaurants are extremely supportive of coeliacs and try to make our experience an inclusive one. I was in a party of 8 people, all of whom were buying drinks and cakes, so we were spending plenty of money and I have also bought many cakes at Just Desserts over the years. However I now am unable to eat their cakes so I think they should either provide gluten free cakes or let me eat my own when I am visiting with a group of people. What a letdown - won't be visiting again!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Nicola W
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Lovely cakes but service has gone downhill”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been to Just Desserts a lot as I live just round the corner. The cakes, coffee and other desserts are lovely. However, I have noticed that the service has gone downhill in recent months, it is slower and a lot less friendly. Recently a friend of mine asked if there were any gluten free cake options. There aren't but the way in which my friend was told was not very polite and friendly at all.

• Visited January 2013