“A Hidden Gem”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Congleton, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

I relied on trip advisor and yet again it worked.

The hotel was excellent and the staff very attentive. My room a four poster was very large with a beautiful en suite. Amazing views over the grounds, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, I certainly had nothing to complain about and feel the cost was extremely good value for money.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank stoke_sbm
Hamid S, Manager at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind comments. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay at our lovely hotel and do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My friend and I had a wonderful time having afternoon tea.The staff were very attentive and Dominic was a gem.The hotel is set in fantastic gardens.It would make a great venue for weddings.I think another trip to experience the hotel restaurant,will have to be arranged.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Theresa P
Hamid S, Owner at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for your complimentary feedback and for taking the time to post it. We are delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea and will look forward to welcoming you back. Hopefully the weather will improve enough soon so that our guests may enjoy a short stroll round our rose garden and then enjoy afternoon tea on our terrace.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed for a wonderful wedding with my husband and I have to say we loved everything so much. From excellent and welcoming staff on the reception and friendly and professional staff on the bar nothing was too much trouble for them. I have to agreed some prices are a little bit pricey but for country house hotel is nothing unusual and is worth it for place like Offley Place. Our breakfast was outrageous, excellent service and food, not a lot of places take your order for breakfast which is a such a difference to places we stayed before.
We loved everything so much, will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamid S, Manager at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind comments. We are all delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and shall look forward to welcoming you back.
Cinderford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight for a friends wedding.

The building itself was lovely and appeared very well kept. On first look our bedroom (room 4) looked to be very clean and spacious with a large bed. The bathroom was also well kept, modern and clean. From this we were anticipating a lovely stay but unfortunately that was far from the reality.

For starters, I am appalled that the drink prices at the bar seemed to increase each time we ordered despite ordering the same drinks. What started off at £4.20 by the end of the evening was £5.50. As I myself was not drinking alcohol, it was impossible that I was confused or my judgement "blurred" by this. I spoke to the bartender several times about the change of prices and he insisted that each time it was correct. When mentioning this the following morning, we were informed that we should of asked for receipts. At no point was there any suggestion from any staff instructing me to ask for receipts otherwise I would clearly of done so each time I questioned it. It was not only ourselves that found that the price increased, other members of our group also mentioned this and queried the staff. I Am also rather confused with the pricing structure. A friend who was drinking Peroni was told that to purchase a pint, it would cost £5.20 but if he ordered half pints they would be £2.40 each, meaning that 2 halves would be £4.80. When speaking to the female bartender he was informed that this was correct, but she also could not understand the pricing of this and had been questioned about this several times from others at different times. Am wondering whether she has also reported this to the bar manager so the company are aware or whether it's another thing that is just "wiped under the carpet" I was also advised the following morning that it is not possible for staff to edit prices on the till, I fully understand this due to myself working in the industry at a 4* hotel. So if the till cannot be edited obviously not all of the cash handed over has been put through.

When we reached our double room that evening, my partner and I both went to sleep. We woke at midnight to find that our "double" bed had come apart and in fact it was two singles pushed together but with no proper fastening devises to hold it as one. After waken another twice and "pushing" the beds back together, we finally got a few hours sleep, unfortunately when waking in the morning my partner woke with a terrible bad back as had woken up in the crack between the two beds. When speaking to the receptionist the following morning, as a gesture we had £20 removed from our bill, which we were grateful for, but feel that measures should be put into practice to avoid clients needed to complain in the first instance. We also pointed out the following morning whilst showering that the shower head was full of limescale and was broken, only allowing a small part to realise water, which is a shame as we were looking forward to using it as it looked very good. When speaking to reception the following morning, we were advised that we should of rang the night porter and asked to be moved. Clearly in the early hours of the morning this is something we would not of Been packing out stuff back up and moving rooms. As I mentioned previously, I myself was not drinking that evening and had also just come out of hospital so was anticipating a good nights sleep after a long an tiring day.

I feel the breakfast menus are slightly misleading as the menu in the room and the menu on the table at breakfast both offer different things, for example it does not specify that a vegetarian option is not shown to be offered within the menu in the room. The continental breakfast I believe was to include cheeses and meats, none of which were available. My partner was less than impressed that there was no black pudding as stated, neither did the waitress say that it is was not on the menu when she took out Oder. I was pleased to see a vegetarian breakfast was offered and was keen to order. Unfortunately when it arrived I was less than impressed. Despite the majority of the meal tasted lovely and seemed to be well sourced, I was more than disappointed with the vegetarian sausages. They could only be described as swimming in oil (possibly deep fried, or fatty product.) a suggestion would be for the kitchen to look to source these sausages from either a different supplier or change their product, as I feel a sausage consisting of "carrot, pea and sweetcorn" is neither appetising or suitable to be used for breakfast.

The room itself including breakfast was due to be £135 and with £20 taken off for good gesture due to "bed" complaint equalled £115. So In theory our sleep cost £20, meaning it was an extremely expensive breakfast!
I am far from impressed with the problems we had whilst staying in the establishment. In future would stay in a different hotel, as we did the night previous as we found that there were no issues.

Hopefully the management of the hotel will take this as constructive criticism and will look into the points I has mentioned, and if carried out am sure this establishment with be as delightful to stay as it supposed to be.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Hazandmoo
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are now investigating this further
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed for a wonderful and very special wedding and the hotel absolutely played its part; good service, reasonably good food and everything went to plan, although bar drinks were very expensive...rooms were spacious and clean but no long mirror in my room which wasn't great for getting ready for a wedding! I love old buildings and the setting of this hotel is lovely yet it really felt in need of some tender loving care, attention to detail felt lacking in the public spaces and outside in the grounds, it just feels like it needs a big luxurious hug for me. I've been lucky enough to stay in amazing country house hotels, this feels like it could be on the way up or on the way down! It needs investment, to make a lovely place spectacular, and the brides and grooms of the future deserve that!

Room Tip: There are stairs but the central staircase is wonderful and really eases the steps!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PitstopMelly
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We went to Offley Place for a spot of lunch and it was lovely! The staff were amazing! They showed us all around were we could sit-the lounge, the bar or restaurant (we only wanted sandwiches!) Nothing was too much trouble at all! It was my mums birthday and they really did make a sandwich lunch feel very special!! Just a welcomi g, comfortable place. Will definitely be going back! Only tiny criticism it would be nicer to have proper thick cornish clotted cream with the cream tea, it was a slightly runny cream, but you did get massive helpings! Maybe just personal preference!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Memorable stay .
Friendly, enthusiastic staff who could not do enough for you!
Big room, light with fine views.Smashing breakfast ( full English for me) .
We will return.

Corporate bar prices. Wine might be cheaper to buy the bottle, no single glasses or bottle prices readily available(although I did not ask).
Suggest they offer guests the option of not changing towels daily?
Not niggles, just suggestions?

Recommendable and very happy to do so. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 8 on 1st floor was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamid S, Manager at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and pass on your suggestion which we plan to introduce..

We are also delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, especially in the peace of room 8. Room 17 is also a quiet room that enjoys the same view of the rose garden.

We look forward to welcoming you again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
Needham House Hotel
Premier Inn Hitchin Town Centre Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
#4 of 9 in St. Albans

Been to Offley Place Country House? Share your experiences!