“Good Food, although children’s portions slightly mismatched”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rhayader
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Crown inn is located North Street, which is one of the main four streets in Rhayader, so we had walked past it a number of times and we thought that it looked inviting and they had a reasonable children’s menu. Friendly staff at the bar and a good choice of food on the menu. We didn’t have to wait too long for our food, which was well presented. The only minor moan about the food was that the children’s portion sizes were a little Mismatched. My sons sausages and mash was a good size, but my Daughters Tomato and Basil pasta was quite small , although was one of the tastiest pasta dishes I have ever had a taste of (only a small taste as she didn’t have much to begin with). My Burger was very good and my wife liked the opportunity to have Pineapple and Egg with her Gammon. The only other thing that we were disappointed with, was when we asked about baby changing facilities we were told by the Staff that sorry they didn’t have any, but we were more than welcome to use the floor in the toilets! Er No thanks. The Crown advertises itself on a board outside as a family friendly pub, if they really want to be family friendly I think it needs to think about providing a drop down changing table so that families can enjoy their pub.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Crown I, General Manager at Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Many thanks for your kind review of us, apologies for the lack of child toileting facilities it is something we shall be looking into space allowing .
Thank you for your kind comments on our food we shall look into ensuring the portions are appropriate and large enough to be good value for money.
Hope to see you again

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Have eaten here in the past on Sundays so was slightly disappointed at the standard 'pub fayre' menu (the Sunday roasts, to my mind, indicated an expectation of a more adventerous menu). Reference was made in the menus to daily specials and fish dishes but on asking the lady behind the bar said these had sold out - which seemed quite strange given we were there at 12.30 and the pub was not exactly over-run with diners.

That said I ordered a vegetarian pasta dish which was actually very good and my travel companion ordered the burger which was certainly very sizeable.

The pub is old and has a sense of history.

Room Tip: Only ate here so cannot comment on rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We recently stayed at The Crown Inn for 2 nights, the accommodation was small but ok for a weekend break, the bed linen and towels were very fresh and clean, although the room could have done with a bit of TLC, the bedside tables were dusty and the TV also. The towel rail in the bathroom had fell off and not been replaced and the door handle to the bathroom door was on the verge of coming off. Saying all this we had a really nice stay, on our first night it was raining really hard so we just went downstairs into the bar, it was a lovely place with friendly staff, good drinks and atmosphere and amazing food. Breakfast was served at Ty Morgans about a 2 minute walk away, some people seem to find this a problem, I can honestly say that we didn't, you would walk alot further than that for breakfast in many hotels at home and abroad and the food was top quality, and staff very friendly. All in all we had a great time, the little problems in the room can be solved quickly and easily.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonoh67
Crown I, General Manager at Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for your review of The Crown Inn, we will look into the few little problems you highlighted and are pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed on business on a wet and windy Monday night. I was given a warm welcome and the room was very good and value for money.
I wandered to the bar for a meal, which was standard pub fayre. The beer is well kept.
I'd stay again and would love to see the place in the sun.

Stayed: January 2014
Crown I, General Manager at Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thankyou for your kind review.
Hope to see you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crown Inn as a solo traveller. The value for money was excellent. Room 2 was comfortable, clean and warm with decent facilities for making tea and coffee and free bottles of water and biscuits or pieces of cake. The bed was comfortable and noise from the road evident but not intrusive as the rooms are in a courtyard to the rear of the pub. The room needed a few little changes to be really excellent - the flex on the kettle was a bit too short, the remote on the TV was a bit knackered, the shower is a bit small (not something that can be changed) but the water was plentiful and warm.

The bar was very cosy on dark winter nights with a good fire burning. The food rates 10/10 - good range excellently cooked at prices well below what I have paid elsewhere for worse fare. Maybe another vegetarian option would be an idea. Nice armchairs by the fire afterwards.

Good breakfast across the road at Ty Morgans (owned by the same people apparently) where you can pay your bill or book for extra nights - the Crown keeps pub hours so is not open in the morning.

Staff were excellent - friendly and efficient. Altogether I would recommend the Crown Inn to anyone wanting a good low-cost place to stay in this wonderful area of Wales.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brian M

Thank you very much for your kind review.
Hope to you decide to visit us again

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Delightful Inn. Welcoming and cosy. The staff were genuine in their attention and friendly. Enjoyed drinks and very good meal. Would definitely return and consider taking rooms. The Crown provides a pleasant evening in a country inn with a log fire and a cheerful atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review of our bar.
We love to hear when people enjoy our food and service.
Maybe next time you can stay with us.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I had a nice lunch here after visiting the Élan Valley dams. We received a very friendly welcome from the barmaid and sat near to an open log fire which was great to warm up by. We both had the steak and red onion sandwich which came with a generous portion of chips and salad. I also enjoyed a pint of one of their cask ales. We felt that the food and drinks were reasonably priced and of good quality. We would definitely call here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review we're pleased you enjoyed your lunch with us and hope to see you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhayader
Glen Usk Hotel
#7 of 14 in Rhayader
Beili Neuadd
Beili Neuadd
#3 of 14 in Rhayader

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!