“Workhouse worries!”

Simply Welsh Restaurant
Cardiff
“Workhouse worries!”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I used to visit Brynafon quite regularly for work but the organisation I was with decided that the standard was too poor to continue using them. That was five years ago. We were driving through Rhayader today and I suggested a visit to Brynafon as my husband had not been there before and I thought he would be interested in its history as a workhouse. Guess what? It it still the same five years on, apart from new loos which were greatly improved. The entrance is dull dismal and unwelcoming. We only called in for a snack and I should have opted for the sandwiches as my husband thoroughly enjoyed his with a side salad and crisps.

Instead, I was told that soup of the day was wild mushrooms and brocolli. Service was slow but a basket full of bread was brought to whet my appetite. The soup was quite tasty until I found a long, black hair in it. The bread was stale. The soup was replaced but I had now lost my appetite and didn't eat it. Apologies all round but not good enough! It will be a long time before I revisit Brynafon.

5 Thank PatriceCardiff