“The disabled gourmet has a disappointing birthday.”

Wallett's Court Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A luxurious menu of modern British cuisine has made the restaurant within the ancient manor house hotel of Wallett's Court in Dover a sumptuous destination in its own right. Robust, inventive flavouring abounds, with accomplished and gutsy cooking producing dishes such as confit of sea bass with sticky port shallots and caramelised noisette potatoes or breast of Gressingham duck with ginger and spring onion rösti. There is a predominantly French wine list, with Sunday lunch and party menu options.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Staying in a cottage for a week and after consulting TA we settled on Walletts Court for our meal on the evening of my 65th. birthday. Walletts Court is a lovely old building but could prove a little difficult for some disabled.
The restaurant can only be descibed as pretentious, pretending to be better than it is. After the chef's 'amuse' we had saddle of lamb, beautifully cooked with the vegetables hidden beneath it. The dessert menu was too 'posh' to appeal to us so we both went for cheese.
Overall it did not live up to our expectations.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We ate at Wallett's Court with some friends. The menu wasn't extensive, but provided enough choice for everyone. Starter of ham hock was OK, but nothing special. The highlight was the main of sirloin steak - possibly the best I have ever eaten - which was incredibly tender, and the balance of the dish was just right. Puds were good, but nothing spectacular. Main course aside, I've had better meals elsewhere. Service was a wee bit patchy - we had to ask for canapes and drinks - but the staff were very friendly and the staff didn't rush us out of the restaurant when we had finished our meal.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Had the grilled seabass for starters and rack of lamb with a bottle of 2009 cotes de rhone, finished with the cheeseboard, was fantastic.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My daughter has just got married at Wallet's Court.The staff were brilliant and the surroundings are beautiful.The meal was excellent.We had a lovely time there and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Set in very nice, idyllic grounds; a grand old house, a pretty garden and nice, rather fancy furnishings, the first impressions were excellent.

We were greeted by a very nice waitress before being led in to the dining room and taken to our table for sunday lunch.

It wasn't particularly busy, but we were placed very close to one of the only tables in use- penned in, almost, and it was a case of needing to resort hushed voices if we didn't want to be overheard.

The menu was rather basic- not including all of the dishes advertised on the website. As a vegetarian, I only had the choice of soup for my starter, and risotto for my main. Neither of which were particularly adventurous options, although they were perfectly nice.

The desserts too were not as espected, but pleasant enough. There wasn't anything wrong with the food- it was a perfectly good meal. However, was it a great meal? Was it worth £21.95 per person, for three courses?

It was of no better quality than quite a few other restaurants in the vicinity which offer three course meals around the £16/£17, and for that reason I must give Wallet court three stars.

I'm glad I sampled the food, and I enjoyed my meal there. However, it is overpriced for what you receive; and there are better restauarants around for a similiar price tag.

1  Thank Viennaberry