“Typical Pub Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Lion - CLOSED

Red Lion
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: This place is a hidden gem, serving absolutely fantastic food at pub prices. Other customers were raving about the food as well. Some good real ales on tap as well. Will be going back.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Typical Pub Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

A nice pub, but not a great choice on the board. The Red Lion is fine if your looking for typical pub food such as pie and chips, fish and chips, Nevertheless nothing wrong with the food. Not expensive and the service was good.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mahesh R

Maidstone
“It just gets better and better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Not having been to the Lion for some time (changed job and area) I was intrigued to go back. Seeing the brown road signs suggested that I would not be disappointed.

Wow! Three real ales to choose from, up from two the last time I was there, and the beef & Doombar pie was out of this world. Loads of meat and a pastry that is nothing short of superb.

No wonder the pub has secured so many awards from industry experts and is so popular with local people.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Abdul H
Rayleigh, England, United Kingdom
“I would click but one isn't enough”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I felt intimidated in this place.I travelled from Essex which is normally out of place where I live. It was not hospitable place. It felt like I was an alien. There's no parking. No friendly atmosphere. A person asked me for drugs and smoking in the toilets. I've never been to such a place. It's such a shame for the area as it full of beauty but evil lives in dark places.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Thomas C
Kevin D, Owner at Red Lion, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your review, which has shocked and bewildered the management team.

Firstly, there are state of the art smoke alarms in the toilets and so it would be impossible for anyone to smoke in them without the alarm going off. We have had the alarms tested today and they are functioning properly. We have also checked our day book and there is no record of anyone complaining of smoking anywhere within the premises.

Of greatest concern is your statement that you were offered drugs, and it is of such a serious nature, that we intend to refer your complaint to the Police for a full investigation. We should be most grateful if you would contact the pub on 01304 853190 (please ask to speak with Tom) so that we can provide your contact details to the Police. Alternatively, if you would prefer not to do that, then we can ask the Police to contact you via Trip Advisor.

We will not tolerate any form of anti social behaviour, bad language or indeed any other offensive behaviour. We operate a zero tolerance policy and will continue to do so. Thankfully, it is only on an extremely rare occasion that we have had to apply this policy. We are proud of our growing reputation as a traditional English village pub, and our awards and growing customer base attest to that.
London, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Spent a long weekend near Dover and stopped into The Red Lion following a recommendation from a fellow weekend traveller. A top pub! The bar staff were very friendly and my girlfriend and I thought the Sunday roast was delicious. A great selection of local ales (which is always great to see) and good value too. Plus they have a James Bond room! Will definitely stop by again when we next visit the area.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Dan1224
london
“Excellent Pies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently had occasion to visit the Red Lion whilst visiting relatives in the area, on the suggestion of several other customers I decided to have one of the hand made pies on offer and can say that it was one of the best pies I have ever tasted, it was full of well cooked meat and vegetables along with a delicious gravy, the pastry was one of the best short crusts I have ever had very light and crumbled to the touch. I will certainly be visiting there for the food again.

• Visited April 2013