“A great casual cake stop, Dogs welcome!”

The Pines Garden Tea Room
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Tea Room is open throughout the summer from 10.00 am – 4.30 pm, Seven days a week including Bank Holiday Mondays. From the end of October we will be open Wednesday to Sunday inclusive.Our delicious home cooking makes use of produce grown in the Pines Garden. We hope to see you soon.
New York
“A great casual cake stop, Dogs welcome!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This tearooms, as other reviewers have mentioned, feels like something from a bygone era and I suppose that's the point. The service is friendly and casual with old fashioned counter service and a display of delicious homemade cakes. On a summer's day sitting outside in the sun with a dog is bliss. When the day is not so bright, the inside seating is pleasant as well. I must admit to only having sampled their cakes so far, but the food on offer for lunch looks lovely and fresh as well as reasonably priced and people look to enjoy what they have. St Margaret's, despite being so small isn't short of Tea rooms and to be honest I find them all rather good. However, the location of this one, close to the bay, Pines Gardens and well travelled walking routes makes this one the perfect pit stop, plus the fact that dogs are welcome is great, dogs love it too! If you are feeling really naughty, you can stop at the lighthouse for tea after walking from here as well!

• Polish first
Beckenham Kent
“When in Kent visit the Pines Garden Tea Room - you will not be disappointed!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It is worth making a visit to the Pines Garden Tea Room a focal point of your day out. We have been twice so far and find the food and the old fashioned cosy atmosphere superb. It is like stepping back in time when so much was homemade, and served on 'homely china'. Very generous helpings and large, non symmetrical scones. The difficult thing is choosing what to order. We will just have to become very regular visitors.

1 Thank Jo V
“Exquisite.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Beware of this place. They tell lies. They claim the food is home made, but I've never tasted such good food in any home I've ever known. The food is exquisite! The portions are generous (you get a cafetiere with enough for two cups).

Another warning. This place can seriously upset your weight control. The cakes are so beautiful and scrumptious, you need the willpower of a god to restrict your choice to just one piece.

Outstandingly clean, genuinely nice staff, you will be hard pressed to find a nicer cafe in the solar system. It ticks all the boxes for me.

2 Thank Stellamaris2006
Deal, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“major disappointment”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having read all the glowing reviews of this tea room, I had very high expectations. What a shame I came away thinking I had been to somewhere completely different than previous visitors! No cappuccino or latte on offer so ordered a very average hot chocolate. My companion had earl grey tea. I ordered the rhubarb and orange cake, very overpowering rhubarb flavour, buttercream far too sickly, could not eat it, my companion had a lemon cake which he said was ok, bit disappointed with the choice. Menus written on blackboards too close to other diners and then cakes at desk where you order so all a bit chaotic. Service was average, no real greeting involved. Thought items on menu were very overpriced. Was also very surprised that dogs are allowed into the tea room, not something I feel comfortable about when eating food. Overall I certainly wouldn't return or recommend this place.

• Visited August 2013
Kevin F, General Manager at The Pines Garden Tea Room, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thanks for you taking the time to leave a review. It is obviously disappointing to learn that you didn't enjoy your visit to the Tea Room and naturally I would like to respond to your comments following your visit.

We have made a concious decision to not offer cappucino etc in the Tea Room and instead serve good quality teas from Tea Pigs and caffetiere coffee roasted and ground to our specification by a Kent based coffee merchant.

I am really sorry you did not enjoy the Rhubarb and Orange Cake - this has been the most popular cake of the year although I appreciate the flavours will not be to everyones liking. As you and your companion will have experienced our cake portions are particularly generous for the £2.95 cost and can be rather filling. With regard to choice, with a selection of five or six different cakes on offer each day we try and provide something that will appeal to everyone.

Where the Tea Room is positioned is right on a very popular dog walking route on the way up to or down from the White Cliffs and we like to welcome dog walkers together with their dogs not only outside in the garden but indoors too. Having first checked this policy was acceptable with our local Environmental Health Officer, all we ask is that dogs remain on a lead and behave whilst with us and their owners are always so delighted they are welcome that this is always the case with no impact on the operation of the Tea Room whatsoever.

Once more, thank you for providing your review and I am really sorry that our offerings of food, drink, service and hospitality were not to your personal liking.

Regards

Kevin Francis
General Manager, The Bay Trust
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“So much more than tea”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What a gem! Superb home-made cakes and a wide selection of great teas. The staff are friendly and helpful and the pleasant, laid-back atmosphere makes it very easy to linger and unwind.

The tea room has a delightful little museum devoted to the history of this attractive part of the Kent coast: its role in wartime and its famous residents, including Ian Fleming and Noel Coward.

1 Thank James P