“Promised but failed to deliver”

The Smugglers Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had lunch here yesterday which we really enjoyed (baguette and cheesy chips) and was great value so thought we'd go back for an evening meal tonight. Firstly, lets be clear, the beer is fantastic (Old Man and Hound dog, both great) but sadly the food wasn't quite up to what was expected. Don't get me wrong it was ok and maybe we were spoilt by last nights meal in the nearby Bay restaurant. Starter of garlic mushrooms we still believe we're tinned despite being assured they were fresh and whether they were or weren't they were pretty flavourless (expected oodles of garlic and wine!). My wife's lamb was not medium rare but was tasty enough and my special of cod mornay was delicious but the veg was a little bland. Desert was nuked but actually tasty and overall for 70 quid for 3 courses it was decent enough we just were hoping for a little bit more. The main disappointment really was that we queried the starter and despite it not being eaten we were still charged. Would we go back, probably for lunch but not an evening meal

Reviewed May 15, 2013

we went back to the smugglers his time 4 lunch it was amazing ihad prawn bagget thy weerso freesh thanks to all of you my prartner hed brie and crambury and thurey loved it cant wait to go back

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just finished a lovely evening with very good food at the Smugglers.

Ate in the conservatory to the rear of the premises which was a little clinical when compared to the ambience of the main pub and therefore felt 'separated' from expected pub meal environment.

Having said that the food could not be faulted. We were a party of three, each having different starters, mains and sweets and without exception all enjoyed our meal greatly.

Service was attentive without being overbearing and the ales hat I had were very God.

I will definitely call again if in this neck of the woods.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I went with another couple for a meal out whilst on holiday nearby. First impressions were good. The menu was huge. Plenty of variety. Also they make pizza for take away. Not many comfy seats tho if you had just gone for an evening drink. The food portions were very large. I had a spicy prawn starter and a steak for main. This was perfectly cooked. Food arrived promptly and steaming hot. Lots of home cooked vegetables to accompany. Beers a little disappointing as not many guest ales. Think this place is well worth a visit.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

After reading all good reviews about this pub, my husband and I decided to have our Saturday dinner there. As we didn't have our table booked, we didn't receive a warm welcome. Finally, we were given a table for 1.5 hour, which was perfect. When I asked the barattender for some local beers or ciders, she replied to me quite abruptly they don't do any local drinks. We had to wait for food for more than half an hour and the food was not great either. My husband found beef in its beef fajitas very chewy (wrong type of beef (meat for stew) was used for fajitas). Then he ordered chicken fajitas, which was quite nice. Some members of staff were friendly, some not. We were not given a discount or a free drink for the dish which was not suitable to eat. We didn't feel welcome in this pub so we wouldn't recommend it to our friends.

1  Thank JulijaLondon