“Bay Restaurant, St. Margarets at Cliffe, Dover.”

The Cliffe Kitchen at The White Cliffs Hotel
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Cliffe Kitchen is at the heart of the White Cliffs Hotel, it's the sort of place that's worth a detour if passing through Dover. The place attracts locals who often drop in for lunch, afternoon tea or dinner with friends in the often buzzing and lively atmosphere. There's daily changing Blackboard Menu with The Catch of The Bay and more. There's also a Seasonally Changing Menu with some perennial favourites such as Fish & Chips in beer batter with real proper chips and mushy peas, 28 day hung Kentish Beef with Béarnaise, Romney Marsh Lamb, Monkshill Farm Pork Chops, Rope-grown Mussels in scrumpy and more.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

On short holiday in St. Margarets and booked the Bay Restaurant for special dinner for wife`s birthday, on Monday 31st. March 2014. Unfortunately, this was the day after Mother`s Day and most fish dishes had sold out. No Oysters,Mussels etc. so the menu was very limited.(or a Fish Restaurant!) The food that was available was quite good, if a little expensive and the service was very good.

1  Thank rhgoodman

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Last dined here either late December 2013 or January 2014. Must have eaten here about half a dozen times. We like it. I will not go into what I had to eat as anyone can visit the website and see the menu. However I would say the quality is good. Food is very simple with the use of good quality local ingredients. Also good wines by the glass. On one occasion we had a reserved table and put by the front door. I did complain as I would have liked to have dined in the restaurant. This was dealt with so well by the staff----we were not charged for our drinks. Other establishments please take notice.

My only criticism was the size of the portions----a little small for my liking but maybe I am just greedy.

2  Thank Jonathan D
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We visited here and it was great. Have tried The Smugglers (in my opinion totally over-rated and rude staff!) and the Red Lion (needs a little tlc to make it into a good pub!) but the White Cliffs is so much better. Staff very efficient, food, particularly the seafood/fish and chips is well worth the money. Cannot wait to revisit.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had Sunday lunch here recently with my family prompted by a flattering entry in the 'Also Recommended' category of the 'Good Food Guide' 2014. Unfortunately, the restaurant just failed to meet expectations in one or two respects. The lack of tablecloths on the polished wood tables lent an air of the canteen rather than one of rusticity and both the food and the service did little to dispel this impression. My starter of winter vegetable soup was bland and seriously under seasoned and a main of beer battered local caught white fish (cod, I was informed when I enquired) with so called 'real proper chips' sounded most inviting but was certainly no better then my local chippie produces. The staff forgot us after our mains and had to be chased up to take an order for pudding. When it finally arrived, my panettone bread and butter pudding was fine but less unctuous than one from M&S.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had a light lunch on arrival, lovely sandwiches and the 'real chips' are a must!
Stafff were very attentative and polite.
Breakfast was also lovely.