“Overpriced and disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Blackwood Hall

Blackwood Hall
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Selby
Blackwood Hall
Ranked #8 of 9 Selby B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and disappointing”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked Blackwood Hall with expectations of period furnishings and high quality breakfast at a cost of £120 per night for bed and breakfast.
The room smelt damp and it wasn't overly clean. The furniture was cheap flat-pack and there wasn't a hint of period furnishing. The building itself was impressive in the terms of the hall, stairway and dining room.
Very oddly we were expected to order our breakfast the night before and when we asked for something other than the full English it was met with some hostility.
The next morning there wasn't any fresh fruit, limited yoghurt and cereals and overcooked breakfast.
Wouldn't recommend this unless it was around £40 per night and you weren't fussy!
Beware the grounds are being turned into a camp-site!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Blackwood Hall is a hidden gem for a special celebration event. The house is beautiful, with stunning grounds and venue to suit 80-90 guests. The catering was excellent and the team could not do enough for me to make my event special. I got to know Valerie the owner over the weeks and she was always helpful and very pleasant. She is a busy lady but that did not stop her from making sure the event, our rooms and breakfast was of an high standard. Our guests who attended the event all loved the venue and the evening. Those who stayed over found their rooms to be comfortable and enjoyed their breakfast.

If you want a B & B with character, friendly atmosphere then look no further. You also get to feed to ducks! If you are looking for a minimalist modern hotel environment then this may not be the B & B for you.

If you live locally and are looking for a special venue Blackwood may be just what you are looking for and Valerie is more than happy to work with you to achieve the event you are looking for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison L
keighley
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have just returned from Blackwood Hall (yesterday) where we attended a celebratery Sat/Sun evening. From start to finish it was absolutely perfect - the food - the service - the premises were all terrific. Valerie couldn't have been more helpful and we only had to ask should we have required anything else !
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for any function be it birthday/wedding or whatever - beautiful grounds for lovely pics.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amberKeighley
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Blackwood Hall when we attended a friend's wedding there. I booked two rooms over the phone some weeks before the wedding and paid £90 per room bed and breakfast. Although the rooms were clean they were basically furnished and one of them had a shared bathroom down the corridor. The main problem at Blackwood Hall is the proprietor, right from our arrival we were made to feel like an inconvenience being there, we were told constantly how busy she was and how much work she had to do; I do not doubt all of which was true but I felt it was unprofessional of her to complain to guests of the wedding and the hotel.
The breakfast was also pretty terrible, I had informed the proprietor one of the gusts I had booked for was vegetarian, obviously this had not been recorded, there was no apology for this or hastily made up alternative just a shrug and no breakfast. After seeing another vegetarian breakfast however my friend was glad to have stuck to just toast, burnt and inedible is the only way to describe it!
Blackwood Hall has the potential to be an amazing wedding venue and guest house but the price was way too high for the standard of the rooms and the massive lack of customer service or even basic manners form the owner left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrandMrsB_Leeds
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from an absolute wonderful stay at Blackwood Hall, we were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Valerie was the perfect host, going that extra mile to help in anyway she could. The property itself is beautiful. We had a lovely twin room with a bathroom that had the most amazing shower. The little extra touches such as complimentary dressing gowns, bottled water, a lovely selection of hot beverages and lovely biscuits all made us feel home from home.
The breakfast was BEAUTIFUL, an amazing selection of everything and a full Yorkshire breakfast cooked by Valerie was delicious.
From start to finish a wonderful stay, I would highly recommend this little gem to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LaraT23
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed in Blackwood Hall for one night to attend my daughters wedding, with other guests. when I arrived home the following day, I found that I had left my hat behind.I contacted the unpleasant owner, who informed me that apparently a dressing gown had gone missing from a different room and was holding my hat until £20 had been reimbursed from the person who took it .BEWARE DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHINF BEHIND AFTER YOUR STAY. please note if you have a wedding disco, she locks the doors to the house at 11pm [AS SHE DID IN OUR CASE[EVEN THOUGH SHE NEW THE DISCO DID NOT FINISH TO 11.30 PM],leaving us stranded having to negotiate a way through the kitchen from the disco [we found a door by luck]breakfast was poor, hard overcooked tasteless bacon, poached eggs with hard boiled centres, look warm cheap coffee, the best thing about the breakfast was the cereal. unhelpful unpleasant person +++YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!I++++

Room Tip: Don't Go !!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jim r
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have just returned from spenind the night at Blackwood Hall to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary in the double room with spa bath.
From the minute you arrive at Blackwood Hall you are made to feel extremely welcome with a personal greeting from Valerie at the door. The hall itself is magnificent, set in beautiful surroundings and decorated to the highest standard.

Valarie even went the extra mile by arranging for a bottle of champaign to be in the room on our arrival
After the most peaceful nights sleep, breakfast the following morning was a feast!!!!!!

My only fault................. I had to go home. Will DEFINATELY be returning.

Room Tip: Looking for a romantic getaway - book the double room with spa
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AdeleW277
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selby
The Owl Hotel
Hazeldene Guest House
Olympia Hotel
Olympia Hotel
#7 of 9 in Selby

Been to Blackwood Hall? Share your experiences!