“Great find!”

Ranked #3 of 98 Restaurants in Selby
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We called in this evening whilst visiting my parents on the narrow boat moored further down the village, would probably not have normally called but it was close and looked fine from the outside. Very friendly lady greeted us and I had the special, Steak, port and Stilton pie, again something I probably would not have normally had but so glad I did it was divine. All 5 of us really enjoyed our meals and were fully satisfied, a great find will definately call again and would definately recommend!

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We were going to try the new Witherspoon venue in selby on sun but we soon got sick of all the push chairs and felt as though we were in a waiting room at the social services offices lol.
So we headed out to the George and the Dragon as we had read raving reviews in the local paper.
Was a lovely day so we sat outside and went to order drinks and ask for a menu, we were gutted to be told that food service was finished at 2pm and that only pre-booked meals were being served,( obviously many others had read the same reviews lol).
We returned to our table and were just deciding where to go next, when the landlady came out, asked us if we were the foursome wanting food, and we were delighted when she said that she would squeeze us in as soon as possible.
5 mins order taken, 15 mins food arrived, and we were all very well fed with well presented, ample amounts of perfectly prepared food.
Perfect eating experience in every way, and we thought the toilets were very clean smelling when visited lol.
Reviews with obvious hidden agenda are rather sad dont you think!!.
Thank you for looking after us, we will return :).

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Passing through the lovely village of West Haddlesey a few months ago, we drove past the George and Dragon and the sign outside that says "no 1 for places to eat in Selby" and thought we would pop in for a bite to eat and a drink. As soon as we entered the pub we knew we had made a bad choice. You are greeted my the smell of cheap toilet cleaner, tacky statues, filthy windows and carpets covered in dog hairs. The place doesn't look like its been cleaned for 20 years. We were greeted at the bar by a pleasant enough gentleman who served us a lovely bottle of wine (which was the best thing about the whole visit) we sat down and ordered our food. I ordered Hunters chicken and my wife ordered scampi. It arrived in very good time but the hunters chicken instantly turned my stomach, the top of the dish was covered in about about an inch of grease and it didn't taste much better, the chicken was dry, the sauce was over salted and perfume tasting. My wife was completely out faced with a plate full of food big enough to fill a giant, overflowing with greasy chips, she did say that the scampi tasted nice but it wasn't fresh and was simply frozen scampi. I have eaten at much nicer pubs and restaurants in Selby and this is by no means the best place to eat in Selby. The comments on this pub are over the top and false in my opinion. I would not give this place a 1 star. It doesn't look hygienic nor clean and would benefit a visit from Gorgon Ramsey and kitchen nightmares.

6  Thank Jen C
Torky-Paul, Owner at The George and Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Well you can't please every one, and we didn't please jen. C . But what we find strange is that if we went into a place to eat and found it so filthy before even entering we would have turned round and left, allso if the food was so bad i think any one would have said something to the owners (me) as we are allways there when food is being served . Dodgy review me thinks but then i would say that. But i have to admit that while the majority of our food is homecooked i dont catch the scampi myself.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Having been in york for the weekend thought we would stop off and have something to eat on our way home what beautiful place food is amazing lovely place would recomend this place if your ever driving past stop off in you will not be disappointed its got everything from great food good ales and certainly value for money

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Friendly village pub with a great choice of drinks (beers) and food!
What more could you ask for. Greeted by a friendly landlord & landlady, lovely cosy atmosphere.
We ate on a Thursday which is two meals for a tenner......fan-flipping-tastic! (Had to book).
Great menu choice and very large portions, great value.
Will definitely be going back.
As for the negative reviews!!!! It's a pub serving pub grub!! ????

4  Thank YorkGemgem1981