“nice hotel ... disappointed with the service”
Review of Bayview Hotel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portballintrae
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We stayed here for the 1st time on a few recommendations from work colleagues. The hotel is in a beautiful setting. Our superior room was lovely, warm & clean & the breakfasts were very good. Our only complaint & it threatened to spoil our stay was the service at dinner on our 1st night. We waited 20 minutes from being shown our table to ordering, another 15 minutes for our drinks & starters. A full hour after being seated we got our mains. When my husband complained to the girl who seemed to be in charge of the dining room (she was the only one who could take our order ... we had tried to order with another girl but she told us we had to wait for this girl) she said that she had forgotten to log off!! I presume she was meaning from the computor when she input our order. There was no apology from her, just the comment that she "put her hands up" & that she would speak to the manager in the morning. My husband then spoke to the duty manager in the morning, he apologised on her behalf & waived the cost of our drinks for the day, 3 pints, 1 wine & a coffee. We were happy to pay for our drinks, all we would have liked was the girl to come to our table & explain the reason for the delay. We are reasonable people but felt that we didn't matter to the staff, therefore we didn't warrant an explanation. I really don't believe anything would have been said to us only that my husband complained. We stayed out of the public areas of the hotel, except for breakfast for the remainder of our stay as we were so disappointed. As I said in the title ... nice hotel .. disappointed with the service. I doubt if we will have a 2nd stay there.

1  Thank Pyper
trevorkane01, Owner at Bayview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2010

Dear Pypers, as owner of Bayview I am very frustrated and annoyed that service level you received did not meet your expectations. I am currently carrying out an investigation into the incident so that a repeat of this type of incident will never occur again. All evidence is being collected from our security cameras and till reports so that the offending member of staff will be reprimanded. I have recently installed service buttons on each table in our Restaurant and these were in operation during the busy weekend of your stay. I can only again apologise and trust that you will have more pleasant onward hotel breaks.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

Stayed here for one night bes and breakfast. Nice little area, breakfast was fantastic. Staff very friendly and helpful! Altogether a lovely stay!

• Stayed: October 2010
trevorkane01, Owner at Bayview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

Thank-you so much for you kind compliments about Bayview, I have passed your comments to all of my employees, they are also very pleased that you enjoyed staying at our hotel,

Reviewed October 26, 2010

My mum and I stayed here. the service was excellent and the rooms were GREAT! I would highly recommend this Hotel to all thinking of staying in the area!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Thank-you so much for your kind and generous review of Bayview Hotel, it is wonderful to be able to commend and praise my staff by passing your comments to them!
Bayview NI.Hotel

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed here 1 night in almost gale force winds and rain. Hotel is very clean and perfectly situated. Unfortunately because of the weather we could not fully enjoy the setting - no walking after dinner that night! Service in the restaurant was first class - front desk OK. Room was very comfortable except the bed - must be the cheapest mattress we have slept on in a long time - could feel every individual spring although overall the night passed quickly. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Hi, Many thanks for your kind review of Bayview Hotel. I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy the experience because of the uncomfortable bed and I will ensure that this is checked out immediately, I would be very obliged if you would send me details of your stay, room number is sufficient, so that I can inform supplier of the mattress, and have it changed, once again very many thanks for staying at Bayview,

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Stayed on the 13 & 14th October on the 2 night B&B + evening meal package for £85. Great value. Room had a sea view overlooking the bay and harbour and it was fantastic to open the window and listening to the waves. I read some bad reviews about the front desk and restaurant staff and I am glad to report that we experienced none of this. All staff were very good and attentive and able to have a conversation with us. The food was also very good both for breakfast and dinner. We ate in the restaurant on the 2nd night and both had the boeuf bourguignon. It was so good my wife is making it for Saturday night's dinner. We went on the recommendation from friends and will be back and will recommend it to others. All the staff were preparing for a small wedding when we were leaving and you could tell by the attention to detail that this was going to be agreat day for a happy couple.

2  Thank Browns5

Dear Browns5
Thank-you so much for your kind and generous review of Bayview Hotel. I am delighted to pass your comments and praises to my staff, and I know that they are also very pleased to receive your commendations, this realy encourges and enlightens everyone! Again very many thanks, wishing you very many pleasurable vacations,
Proiprietor

Reviewed October 12, 2010

Finding the Bayview was easy and the location right on the sea was lovely. We arrived early (about 1 p.m.) having driven up from Dublin airport and an early cross-Atlantic flight. When we first arrived, we went to the front desk and had to listen to the desk clerk have an uncomfortable confrontation over the phone for about 5 minutes. He didn't acknowledge that we were standing in front of him. When he finally got off the phone, he reminded us (twice) that check in wasn't until 3 p.m. We were allowed to drop our bags, which was nice. But as we were leaving, he started another confrontation with what appeared to be the linen delivery man. Very awkward.

We went into the bar to have tea and that went well. The barman was very accomodating.

The room was nice, we stayed in the highest quality room and the view was gorgeous. That night we opened two small windows to let in some fresh sea air. It was nice except that due to our proximity to the bright Bayview Hotel light, there were lots of dead flying incects in the morning. The spa tub was a good size, enough for two. There were extra pillows available which I love.

We had made a dinner reservation well in advance. The woman (a dining manager?) who sat us was very nice. However, the dinner service was amazingly poor. We waited nearly a half hour to place our dinner order. When another server came to clear our mussels, she dropped a few of them on the middle of the table. And left them there. ?? Then we had to ask for dessert menus long after we finished dinner. And then waited more than a half hour to get the menus brought to us! And that was only after getting up to speak with the dining manager. This happened the next morning at breakfast as well. We were invited up to the buffet (a lovely selection). When we were finished with that, no one came to take our hot breakfast order. After about another half hour, we flagged down our server who told us that she "though she'd already taken our order"? Needless to say, the service wasn't great. And the service is what makes a hotel.

Check out was fine and easy. Again, a beautiful hotel and dining room, but not what we were hoping in terms of service.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for your review of Bayview Hotel, as owner I am disappointed that our service level during your stay was very poor!. Obviously I have discussed this with the staff who were on duty at that time and hopefully our future guests will never experience such poor service!. Please accept my apology and thank-you again for bringing this matter to my attention. I wish you many carefree and exciting future vacations,

Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed two nights here on a £85 B&B with one evening meal. The sea view is £20 a night extra and we think its well worth it. Rooms are large and spotless TV.Music centre hair drier and tea/coffee and a great view. Meals were excellent a good choice of dishes well presented and very filling. Alas the service is not good we waited at least 15 minutes for a Calypso coffee and had to ask for it in the end also toast a simple of things had to be asked for three times at breakfast.Hard it may seem but everything else was excellent so it made the poor service more noticable

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portballintrae
1 mi away
#1 of 8 in Portrush
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Bayview Hotel? Share your experiences!