“lovely hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portballintrae
Belfast, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed for two nights . A Hotel in a great location. Our room for 3 children two of them verysmall was very spacious and clean. Bathroom was spotless and only complaints was that whoever installed the shower must be under 6ft as I had to crouch to stand under it. and that the rooms were a wee bit warm at night. The staff were more than helpful and sent up extra pillows when requested. The restaurant was well priced and the food superb. The staff in the restaurant were very attentive and even went to lengths to bring over more colouring pages for my three year olds to keep them amused. The food was the best I've had in a restaurant for a long time. Free wi fi was also a bonus. Well done.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
N Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband & I stayed at the Bayview for our Wedding Anniversary.
The room was a superior which comes with a seaview & I would recommend paying the extra for this as it really is worth it.
The room is spacious & clean. Everything we needed was provided & the whirlpool bath was a welcome treat.
I love little extras, just tiny little details that make a difference - like the free newspaper with a card inside with info on todays weather to help to plan your activities.
We dined in the restaurant & had a lovely meal & breakfast in the morning was lovely.

Most people try their best to review with a few negatives. To make this review more authentic I can only list one.
We had pre-booked our evening meal at time of reservation & when we went to the restaurant they had no booking for us. The guy checked with reception & they were able to find us a table at the window even though it was mega busy.
If that was a negative then you can see for yourself that it was no big deal, nor did it upset us in anyway. We could exaggerate the disappointment & trauma but that would be just telling lies. I personally think that people give bad reviews hoping for a free return trip which they then jump at the chance to take...so if it was so bad why would u want to return? Ignore the picky comments & take my word for it - IT IS FAB

We loved this placed & would return. So glad we didn't let the negative reviews put us off - I guess some people just like perfection but I am yet to find it anywhere, even in my own home :)

2 Thank MaryK-NI
Petrolia, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

Loved the Bayview! Enjoyed the wonderful views from the third floor, loved hearing the waves, walking on the beach and watching beautiful sunsets! Best sleep on our trip! Food was great, especially the desserts! Thanks for a lovely stay - will definitely put this hotel on my itinerary for my return visit to Ireland! Even recommended it to some of my Irish friends! Wish we could have stayed for more than one night - it is perfectly located for the Giants Causeway, Bushmills, etc.

• Stayed July 2010
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

I visited this hotel based on the recommendation of some friends who told us it has had quite a substantial revamp since new owners took over. I have to say it most certainly more than lived up to expectations and that is saying something as one of my friends in particular positively waxed lyrical about the place! The location simply cannot be beaten, overlooking the lovely harbour of Portballintrae and with stunning views of the Causeway headlands. This hotel has such a friendly, warm and welcoming atmosphere and we had some really delicious, beautifully cooked meals here served in the Porthole Restaurant and were lucky enough to have been seated at a table by the window affording us the most amazing views. The waiting staff were professional, competent & very friendly - getting the balance just right. The chefs here are to be congratulated on the excellent standard of cuisine and The Management are to be commended on having created a haven of peace and tranquillity where the guest is treated as though they really matter and the staff go out of their way to ensure that your every need is catered for. We can't wait to go back and cannot recommend the Bayview Hotel highly enough.

1 Thank angelwings79
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

from the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised, the staff were lovely, and we were instantly upgraded to a premier room, which made our stay. the room was spacious, high quality and the view amazing. the only small thing we could fault were the pillows-not comfy. had a lovely meal, good atmosphere in the restaurant / bar, could have sat all nite. enjoyed afternoon coffee in the bar, buzzing with families and older people alike. we are very fond of weekend breaks, and so far are putting this one at the top of our list - Portballantrae is ideal for a relaxing weekend and Bayview made it special. looking forward to returning for a winter break

Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

I have nearly always picked hotels based on the reviews on this site and it hasn't failed me,, until now. Where to start with this hotel?

The room, a standard room has 4 single beds, 2 of which are pushed together to make the double bed - something I have not experienced outside of an aparthotel on the Mediterranean. That might have been ok if the bed was comfortable, which it was not. It was your basic cheap springy mattress. Not what one wants on a relaxing romantic wkend away.

The room itself was extremely dated, needs updating. The bathroom too. There was a magazine on the little table dated February 09! I rest my case. The shower was pathetic, no pressure if you want a bit of heat in your water.

Extremely unwelcoming unfriendly reception staff which has already been said in previous reviews. A couple of servers in the restaurant were very pleasant.

The restaurant, view FABULOUS, but not worth spending a wkend at this hotel for. Our wine was brought to the table and left there, not poured for us, we were not even asked to taste. My partner was told his meal did not come with potatoes which led him to order a side dish, it turned out his dish did in fact come with potatoes so the side went uneaten. What a waste. Which leads me to my next point, my side of potatoes was most definitely microwaved. Are these the spuds like my boyfriends left to go cold, reheated and given to someone else? Have you ever noticed how you can tell the difference with microwaved potatoes? I like my spuds, and I most certainly can tell. For the most part though, the food was good.

I could go on but i'm getting but this review is long enough. I hope I have gotten my point across. I would not return to this hotel, ever, and I would certainly not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank johamma
trevorkane01, Owner at Bayview Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2010
Dear johamma,

Where do I start with you and your disparaging comments about my Hotel on Trip Advisor?

Bayview Hotel was built brand new to modern standards and opened in Dec 2001, only 9 years ago! (Surely not as pathetically out of date as you suggest!)
I purchased Bayview in February 2008, with the aid of a very substantial loan by a very reputable Irish Bank and a substantial amount of my own money. Bayview is now solely a family owned independent hands-on operated Hotel!

In the past 2 years I have invested approx £200,000.00 on remodelling and improvements throughout the Hotel, a similar amount has been earmarked for ongoing improvements and extension over the next 2years.

Thankfully our Hotel occupancy, (80% over past 12 months and growing) Restaurant and Bar have experienced exceptional growth from when I purchased Bayview, creating employment and security for 44 people!! (even during these harsh economic times!).

You reserved your room on Monday 21st June to arrive on Friday 25th, and you were informed that the only available room was no. 208, a Standard Family Room.
This style of room is extremely popular with young families, the beds are proper Zip and Link Hotel types which allow for versatility and the room sleeps up to 6 young souls! These are exceptionally clean, basic comfortable rooms with music entertainment system, free wi-fi connection and flat screen televisions receiving up to 90 channels! The country views to the south are of the Famous Bushmills Irish Whiskey Distillery.
Daily newspapers are provided free to all guests consisting of local and Dublin news-print.

Our receptionist telephoned your number during the week to inform you that there had been a cancellation and a Premier Room with sea views was available if you wished to upgrade, however there was no reply.

Your evening meal consisted of, Haloumi and Smoked Caesar Salad, 8 oz fillet steak, Loin of Irish Lamb, de-boned, seasoned, rolled and roasted pink, served over a creamy mixed bean cassoulet! (yummy!!!!) and Baby Boiled Potatoes., 2 deserts and 2 bottles of finest wines, La Consulta Pinot Grigio and De Martino Merlot.

Our potatoes are most definitely boiled and not Microwaved. Your libellous comment that we re-heat food and give to someone else is most distressing to me and I can assure you that this does not happen!
Your total bill for the weekend was £287.25 (including v.a.t @17.5%. and free entertainment by local artists on both nights)

I am very passionate about my business, work very hard to improve all aspects and care for both the future and security of all of my staff.

Thankfully we have exceptionally favourable truthful comments from 99% of our guests who truly enjoy the comfortable, relaxed and friendly atmosphere of Bayview.

I wish you and your boyfriend many enjoyable onward journeys,

Trevor Kane
Proprietor
Bayview Hotel
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

Arrived on Sunday afternoon for a relaxing break. What a find. The reception staff were great they were very welcoming and helpful. Booked in and went straight to our room - which was so very comfortable, well decorated with a jacquzzi bath and all the trimmings. Handy having tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Had an evening meal, sirloin steak with all the trimmings - perfect. The pavlova was exceptional and the portions over were - perfect. Slept well left the window open all night and listened to the sea lapping on the shore - 60 feet away - so relaxing. Up early for the full breakfast - self service buffet and a full Irish Fry. Staff, surroundings, food and ambience - perfect. A perfect break.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portballintrae
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#4 of 8 in Portrush
Inn on the Coast
Inn on the Coast
#2 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Bayview Hotel? Share your experiences!