“Great place for lunch”

The Porthole at the Bayview Hotel
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A FEEL FOR THE OLD WITH A TASTE OF THE NEW The warmth and intimacy of the Porthole Bar & Restaurant provide the focal point of the hotel where you can watch the world go by with the backdrop being the dramatic Atlantic Ocean. Relax by the open peat fire with a pint or in our lounge with one of our specialty coffees. The Porthole has the reputation of being the heart of Portballintrae and is a popular meeting place for both locals and tourists. With sumptuous cuisine, a excellent weekend entertainment schedule, well stocked bar and wines from all over the globe, the Porthole is the perfect place to sample good old Northern Ireland hospitality in a venue renowned for its relaxed ambiance. WI-FI internet connection is completely free through-out Bayview Hotel.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I have been going to the restaurant for lunch for some time now and the standard of food and service have maintained a high level of consistency. The menu is varied and supportive of local food and drink where possible. The Co.Antrim rare steak salad is really tasty and they also do a nice curry. The staff are extremely attentive and the owner is generally hovering about and talking to patrons.
The view from the window looks across the harbour and it is a really pleasant way to spend a few hours.
We have not yet booked for an evening meal but that is well up the to-do list now.

Well worth a journey

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great food, their chilli chicken pasta, pasta carbonara were hits and everyone in my family who tried the classic fish and chips were very very happy with it! Even if you don't manage to get a seat by their lovely bay windows over looking the ocean, there are benches and picnic tables across the street overlooking the beach and ocean where you can sit afterwards or before with a glass of wine from the bar and watch the sun set!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were staying at the hotel so we ate here one night. We made our reservations weeks before we arrived. The restaurant was very busy. It seems to be a local favorite. We waited for a table by the windows and watched the sunset. There is a full bar for whatever drink you may want. We had the tapenade breads which was easy to share and the seafood chowder for appetizers. The chowder is the best we had in our two week trip around Ireland. We ordered it several other places, but this chowder has large chunks of seafood and is very flavorful. I could have had that as my meal. For dinner the fillet with the wine jus was awesome. One of the best steaks I had on this trip. My son had the pepper sauce with his and loved it too. We ordered medium rare and it was perfect. My husband ordered the crispy asian seabass. He did not care for this. It was one of his least favorite fish dishes. My other son had the plaice fillet and really liked it. I noticed the locals were all ordering the penang chicken. It was served in a huge bowl and looked good. We had seafood on our minds and not curry dishes at the time. We would definitely follow the locals and try that next time. Overall, enjoyable experience. The ambiance of the bay view makes this a nice restaurant. The food is good, not first rate but worth a try.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Not great, we had called before and was not impressed( about 10 months before)
Placed at a table away from the view and asked if we could be seated at the window , we were told the window tables were reserved. After eating and stuck away in the corner when paying the bill, window tables we still empty. Some of the staff could do with a course in customer service, felt more of an annoyance that a paying customer. But we had encountered that before. Its a pity, good staff make a place.

trevorkane01, Owner at The Porthole at the Bayview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Girvin57, I was truly saddened to read a review concerning your visit to Bayview, and your annoyance at not being able to have a window seat. We do try our best to ensure that guest requests are fulfilled, however the window seats had all been reserved for inhouse residents and it would have been impossible for my staff to know how long you would have been at your table so obviously you could not be offered any tables that had been reserved.
I am sorry that you believe the staff to be "surly", please accept my apology
Regards,
Trevor Kane
Proprietor

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had lunch on a cold and wet July day and The Bayview lifted my spirits. Lovely peat fire with local newspapers set the scene. Given a table immediately overlooking the bay. Menu was varied, way above my expectations and we had great service - typical North Antrim, friendly and efficient. Food was freshly cooked and I reckon locally produced. Anywhere that can lift the spirits on a day like this is worth a visit.

Dear Ruth J, many thanks for taking time to compose such a wonderfuld review on TA about your experience at the Porthole Restaurant, we are truly delighted that you enjoyed your lunch the atmosphere and the views.
We look forward to welcoming you back again some time soon,
Kind Regards,