“Disappointed with the pub food”
Review of The Greyhound Inn

and 1 more site!
The Greyhound Inn
Perth, Australia
“Disappointed with the pub food”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Having left Chalfont many years ago we decided to meet friends at the Greyhound for lunch whilst there on holiday. It still retains its charm and they have made several changes, which are very nice. We had lunch in the garden and we were served by young friendly people. We had to wait quite a long while for our order and when it arrived there was good and bad. The club sandwich looked and tasted very good. The steak was miniscule which came with fries, nothing special though. The "Posh Ploughmans" was enormous though and certainly posh, they should have stuck to the old style ploughmans which is what we were expecting. One portion woud have ben plenty for 2 people. The mushroom mille feuille was miniscule and didn't fill us (a bed of puff pastry with small mushrooms cooked in a sauce). A bit pricey for what it was. The service that day was not very good, it took a long time for the food and then they forgot to bring our coffee.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked the venue for my husbands surprise 40ieth birthday party in the summer. I met initially with Peter (the owner) a good few months before who was absolutely charming. He didn't try to over sell me expensive wines or champagnes and was completely helpful in my planning, discussing food, room layout and generally what would work on the night. He also agreed that we could have a late (very late in fact) licence in bar and we could have music till 1am as we had booked out all the rooms. As we basically had the venue to ourselves, we even continued to play music in the bar long after the dj had left the building! On the night we had exclusivity of the restaurant area & I had opted for the excellent buffet menu. When i arrived in the afternoon, Seb and James (who were looking after us all night) made me feel completely at ease and were so welcoming. They knew exactly what I had discussed with Peter and organised everything so the room was perfect, with the drinks ready for everyone arriving. I literally could write pages and pages about how brilliant the night and the place was. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble, they weren't intrusive in any but always seemed to be around when we wanted something and had a nice banter with guests! The food was delicious (thanks to the adorable Chef Nana) and just kept on appearing. Everyone had a truly magical night! Seb suggested us having a later breakfast than they would normally serve as it was clear none of us would be rising early. I say this because it just highlights how nothing was too much trouble.
Being the hosts, I had booked us the best room which was gorgeous, clean and super comfy. All the rooms seem to have their own individual unique charm from the ones I saw.
We had 58 people to the party and every single person came up to me at some point either during the party or after the event to say how brilliant the venue was and how the staff were excellent! They were all so warm and and friendly, I genuinely couldn't thank them enough and think they played a huge part in making the night such a success! The Greyhound Inn has a cosy, warm, happy atmosphere, is good value for money and although for us it was the perfect party venue, it would also be a little jewel of a place for a romantic weekend away! Love it!

Room Tip: The largest room was spacious yet charming.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed October 5, 2012

well where do I start, I didn't know what to expect upon arrival as there aren't many traveler pictures so I was a bit worried at first. Upon arrival the place looked nice from the outside, beautiful area, a bit far out unless your staying there for a specific reason, which was our case. It's a small little place, takes u back down memory lane it has such a cosy homey touch, so beautiful. It's a very old building so u feel it has a bit of history, I loved the exposed wooden beams and the inn-type feel, the old fireplace, such a warm atmosphere. The staff were so welcoming, nice young staff, very friendly and warm. The check-in was super quick, didn't even ask for a copy of our id's or anything. Rooms have the same cosy feel, they are spacious, pretty basic - kettle, complementary tea & coffee. No safe deposit box which I thought would've been handy, & no mini-bar. The t.v is super tiny and the lighting in the room is a bit low. Just one thing that was a little annoying was the flush in the toilet, u had to wait ages for the tank to fill up to be able to use it again. Going for a walk around the area, its such a beautiful peaceful place. The hotel's restaurant is great, the food is wonderful. The menu has a variety of different stuff, & the service is terrific. I don't think the service would be this personal if u were at a 5 star, the staff help u out & are willing to alter things to suit u. And from the numbers of people coming in at different times its obvious that the restaurant has an excellent reputation in the area, its always filled with people. They also have a really lively bar which looked like a lot of fun, lots of people having a good time, the only sad thing to it is if u were in my case - needed a good night's rest as I had something early next morning. We were sleeping right above it & it does get pretty loud, but when we asked one of the staff members he said it won't go past 12 (which I don't think it did) & that they'll do their best to keep it down. Breakfast was also good & fresh. They have free WiFi everywhere u go, even outside! Once again, I want to emphasize how great the staff were. The owner was the sweetest most sincere young man. We had received some bad news that day and he was so friendly, kind & supportive, letting us use his office to make phone calls several times and kept checking up on us asking if there's anything he can do to make us feel better, if we wanted tea or coffee. These little things make an impression on a person, so I'd definately stay here again and again, even if I didn't actually need to go to Chalfront again I might consider it just to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

How many people realise I wonder just how good the food is at this establishment? Having visited so many times over the last year and then tried other places we always return to the greyhound. The food is consistently amazing. Great flavours, fresh ingredients and every attention to detail. Service with a smile and the presentation of the food is London standard. I think people are put off by the sometimes rowdy crowd in the bar but put those aside and eat in the restaurant, you won't find better in the area . We loved it so much we had our daughters wedding there and even 60 meals out every single plate was stunning and piping hot. Great wine list and fab pub quiz on Monday nights . Hotel rooms are okay? Could do with a little upgrade though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A lovely small hotel/bar/restaurant in a quiet location.
Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean.
The staff are very friendly, and provide a lovely atmosphere.
The food is excellent, nicely presented. The breakfast was lovely, and cooked freshly from order. Not on hot plates. Makes a pleasant change!!
Will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012
marlow
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The meal was nice enough,however quantity was sadly lacking.The portions for the amount charged were very dissapointing.Why do most restaurants assume that everyone has a small appetite?We had three courses and werw still hungry,have all these people been part of a very large family and had to make the food go round!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Chalfont St Peter hotels

Leeds, UK
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Room was comfy, staff very welcoming when we arrived after a long drive. Dinner good and chef started early to make us cooked breakfasts before we scooted off to the Olympic Rowing. Couldn't fault the place.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in Amersham
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Kings Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Amersham

Been to The Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!