“Stayed for a wedding”
Review of Radstone Hotel

Radstone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkhall
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed March 9th for a wedding, the hotel was very smart, the welcome very good and the reception staff very efficient especally considering they were booking so many guests in. The room was tastefully decorated, and felt as though it had just been done [tell tale signs was the remains of sanding in corners of the bathroom] The food was very good and the drinks not too expensive. The breakfast was plentiful. Over all I would recommend the hotel as a weekend break or for a wedding. The only thing if I was being pickie was the room could have had the heating on for us arriving and also the person who vacuums could do a better job. I did hear other guests at the wedding say the ladies loos were very messy for most of the evening.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bonnylass55

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Having scoured sites such as groupon and 5pm.co.uk for decent deals on hotel breaks for me and my partner as a birthday treat we settled on the Shawlands Park hotel. Two nights. breakfast and dinners for both in an upgraded "suite". The Lewis suite.

We arrived at a fairly remote, modern building.. quick check in and we unlocked the door to a warm, inviting and comfortable looking suite. Modern bathroom, couple of flat screen tv's.. it was fine. ground floor at the back of the building looking onto the car park wasn't the greatest view but hey ho it wasn't that disappointing!!

The king sized bed was to die for.. REALLY comfortable and felt i was in it on my own. Breakfast was more than ample and decent variety.. we both plumped for full English, coffee, orange juice, croissant andc old meats etc.. we had our fill ;-) Dinner menu had variety.. and what we had was decent sized and delicious!!

All staff were pleasant and the ability to enjoy a fairly short drive to Edinburgh was a plus.

Couple of pointers that stuck in the palate was the hassle we had that on our departure the receptionist maintained we pay for our second nights stay.. despite it having already been paid for through groupon.. she/the hotel had no record of this.. was a bit of a pain and i'd just expect hassle free on departure, so had to pay and make some phone calls once i got home. Could have done without this!! The other pointer wasn't noticed till i got home.. on the bottom of the bill was the 2 cokes me and my partner got with our dinner meal on the first night.... wait for it...... £6.20 EACH for the cokes... that stuck in the palate!!!!!! Beware as the small things can make or break what was otherwise a perfect treat for us both.

All in all i would recommend here.. its peaceful and relaxing and certainly worth it on a deal...

2  Thank Stephen L
Robert K, Owner at Radstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

Firstly I would like to express my disappointment at the inconvenience you faced on check out, this should never have happened. I have been advised that the Reception Manager Angie called you the following morning to resolve this misdemeanor and I would like to thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Since viewing your response on Trip Advisor we have had a looked back at our records and you are correct in saying that you were charged £6.20 per coke, when it should have been £6.20 for two. We are incredibly grateful that you have highlighted this, overcharging customers is definitely not something we feel comfortable with, and this will allow us to ensure the same mistake does not happen again. Staff the Hotel have tried to call you several times and on one occasion left a voicemail, we would like to extend our apologies and arrange your refund.

Could I please ask if you could contact myself Mr Robert Kyle (proprietor) by email rkyle@lochside-hotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel far exceeded my expectations. While from the outside it looks like many motel style buildings close to a motorway once inside it is very different. On entry there is a large airy open reception/bar/lounge area which is very comfortable. Reception was very efficient friendly and welcoming. We had booked a two night stay using a groupon deal but upgraded to a suite which was well worth the extra £20 per night. The room was very spacious with both a large sitting area and bedroom. The room was very well furnished with two comfortable sofas in the sitting area plus tables, chairs, chests etc all good quality. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bathroom like the rest was spotless and had a separate walk in shower as well as a large bath. There was even a small balcony. Despite being close to the motorway the glazing was such that no traffic noise could be heard. The room was easily up to the standard of four star hotels and in honesty better than some much more expensive hotels that I have stayed in. Our deal included a two course meal on each evening and once again I was pleasantly surprised at choice and quality of food on offer. Service in the restaurant was friendly and courteous. Breakfast was equally good with a hot breakfast cooked to order. If you are staying in the area I would recommend you stay here, we certainly hope to return

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went here with my wife for lunch one day as we were passing.

My wife had the warm salad and I the burger, salad was okay but the burger was not quality meat. I normally try the burger whenever I go to a new restaurant as its a good guide and here when your paying nearly £9 would have expected a lot better.
Total for lunch was £27 for one course plus drinks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Suntoucher72
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked through Groupon and was good value for money! The food, room and service were fine! Staff were friendly enough! Unfortunately we seemed to be placed in a room next to a boiler, so when I awoke at 4am I couldn't get back to sleep for the high pitched humming noise! Eventually I telephoned reception around 5.20am to ask about it and the guy said he would come up and investigate! No one did and I tossed and turned getting very little sleep the rest of the night! The wi-fi wasn't that great either, it kept coming and going so we couldn't watch the films on our laptop we had intended to and instead just made do with the tv! If I really wanted to pick holes the side of fries we ordered at dinner were slightly underdone and my husband was a little disappointed at breakfast as the egg option was only scrambled. On exiting we looked up at where our room was and could clearly see the boiler outlet. They seemed sparse around the building so it was just unfortunate pot luck that we ended up next to one! I also wonder if the building which looks like new build had anything to do with hearing it!

1  Thank Lynn W
Robert K, Owner at Radstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments on tripadvisor. We welcome all comments as this enables us to improve the overall service especially regarding customer care.

Addressing the issue of the boiler noise, I would like to apoligise for the disruption caused. As a company we are committed to going that extra mile for our guests and I am very disappointed to learn that no action was taken by staff that evening.

The hotel is located in the Clyde Valley, a fair distance from the local telephone exchange and therefore you are correct in your comments regarding the wifi not being strong enough to watch movies online. This is something that we have been looking in to and we are delighted to announce that improvements will be made within the next few months.

We are apologetic that your husbands breakfast experience disappointed him. Scrambled egg is displayed on the breakfast buffet selection due to its popularity but it is by no means the only egg option on offer to guests, a member of staff should have took the time to explained that all other egg options are cooked to order.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please email rkyle@lochside-hotel.com.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Fantastic meal, plenty to eat and cooked to perfection, great value for money at £25.00 per head including a glass of bubbles. No small portions here fit to burst when we left. Will certainly return here can't praise it enough, well done!!!!!!!!!
Can only comment on the dining as we live local and did not require rooms but the hotel itself is lovely and decor great.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed on voucher which was quality and excellent value. Difficult location without a car as from Glasgow train to Larkhall then taxi but this was hassle free. Too far to return to which is a shame. Would be an excellent venue for a wedding. Think this hotel is let down by the lack of leisure facilities.

Internet wifi is very poor but is free.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Very good service in all areas both bar and restaurant. The lady on reception was very good and check in and out was flawless. She was very friendly and welcoming. Cocktails were good and bar snacks met expectations. Sport was on in the bar if you had wished.

Upgraded to suit and found ourselves in the Arran A which was lovely and a good size. Well appointed with nice, minimal decor. Views were over the car park to the farmland beyond. Lovely light in the room. Only downside was the sliding doors for the patio were stiff to operate the room looked over the car park and in to the restaurant on one side meaning the curtains had to be shut for privacy. Lovely peaceful sleep with total peace. The hotel in the common areas was very well appointed and decorated.

Dinner was disappointing. The scallops were lovely but very salty and the pancetta was missing. Main course we had steak and it was very fatty and tasteless. Not worth the £5 surcharge as wetherspoons offers a better steak for cheaper. Other courses looked lovely on others tables and maybe we ordered poorly. Service couldn't be faulted.

Breakfast was good, standard fair and met expectations. Ham/cheese offerings were very poor but i expect there is limited call for this. Sausage and eggs were good quality.

Overall a grand stay and if the hotel was closer or easier to get to then a would maybe return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larkhall
2 mi away
#2 of 4 in Hamilton
Strathaven Hotel
Strathaven Hotel
#1 of 1 in Strathaven

Been to Radstone Hotel? Share your experiences!