“Excellent B&B in the heart of Aberlour”
Review of The Mash Tun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberlour
The Mash Tun
Ranked #2 of 7 Aberlour B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Excellent B&B in the heart of Aberlour”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my second stay at the Mash Tun and we returned to Aberlour just to stay there. Our first stay a couple of years ago on an anniversary holiday was sublime. We enjoyed it so much we tailored our itinerary around staying at the Mash Tun once again.

Our second visit was as our first, excellent. The Glenlivet room was chosen both times just on the whim that one of my favorite whiskys is The Glenlivet, yet this room is charming and beautiful and the views across the Spey and a riverside park are truly beautiful! This room is a very nice place to spend time when the weather doesn't lend itself to outdoor activities.

The Bar and Restaraunt is also excellent and a really nice place to spend time. The food is exceptional and it is very apparent that they take pride in preparing first class food for their patrons. The plethora of whisky's in the bar is also a delight for a whisky lover. The breakfasts are also excellent and very well executed.

One of the things that makes the Mash Tun special is the staff. Absolutely everyone you come into contact with is extremely pleasant and clearly committed to making your experience as a guest a pleasant and special one.

I highly recommend the Mash Tun whether you are just in need of a place to stay in Aberlour or want to make this your base for a trip up the whisky trail.

Room Tip: The Glenlivet room is excellent but fellow travelers in the Glenfiddich room also speak very well of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Food and service were excellent.
Worth a visit on its own merits but should be a must do if you are in Aberlpur for any reason.
Alongside the old railway which is a very pleasant walk.
Just off the high street near a couple of distilleries and the Walkers shortbread factory.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night here as recommended by a friend. The room McCallan was very quaint and comfy and had everything we needed. This room has 2 single beds and not a double. The only issue was that although they advertise as having wi fi I could not log in. I even found that I could not access my own 3G Internet service. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We had dinner in the whiskey bar below (bookings recommended) The food was very nice as was the atmosphere. Breakfast in the whiskey bar was included. We were the first in for breakfast and they must have got the orders mixed up as a number of guests that came in after us got served first. This meant although we went to breakfast early we had to rush our food to get to our tour we had booked for the morning. These things happen. Although a little pricey I would definitely go again

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mezdavies
RBSmith
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely room overlooking the river. Great food and the perfect location if doing the Speyside Way as well as being very close to Aberlour Distillery. The room had slippers and dressing gowns which made it extra cosy.

• Stayed August 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I normally check tripadvisor before booking anything, however did not do so before booking the Mash Tun! My advice check tripadvisor first. I've now read the newest reviews and my husband and I did not have the same experience! We had a very lukewarm welcome which didn't give us a good first impression!
I booked the Aberlour suite the most expensive room and whilst I have to say it was an imaculate room, there was no view of river except from the bathroom and toilet was right by the window! Unfortunately we didn't get to taste the meals in the evening, we were hopeful breakfast would be good. Breakfast was ok though a bit bland. It is a great whiskey bar and very near to the beautiful River Spey.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

My room (Glenlivet) was just beautiful! Views across the Spey, Victorian roll top bath and power shower and lovely toiletries. I slept very soundly. We ate in the bar and it was atmospheric, lively and a really nice place to try whisky for the first time. I was taken thought the extensive menu and recommended a few to try. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and I'd love to stay here again when not travelling with work, to actually explore the pretty town of Aberlour.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I found this pub inn by searching for old pub inns in Scotland. The location is in this very small town and is located in an alley way that leads to a beautiful park with a river. The service was great and the staff is very friendly. The food was amazing and so were the drinks! There are only 5 rooms available (that's how small it is) and if you are lucky enough to get one, you will find that the rooms are very comfortable and warming. All around, it was a great value for money.

Suggestions - Stay a couple nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberlour
Dowans Hotel
#1 of 7 in Aberlour
Norlaggan
Norlaggan
#6 of 7 in Aberlour

Been to The Mash Tun? Share your experiences!