“not as good as the website”

The Macallan Distillery
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Aberlour
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Website looked great. no highland cattle, tours all booked out and the visitor centre shop quite empty.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"warm welcome"
"his knowledge"
in 4 reviews
"whisky tasting at the end"
"enjoyable tour"
"different types"
"silent season"

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The first time I had ever been to Macallan was on a trip to Scotland, May 2010, that I secured for my boyfriend at the time. This was a birthday gift and since he had a love for Macallan Scotch I could think of no better gift than to take him to Scotland and secured the Connoisseurs tour at the Macallan for him. He absolutely loved it. The tour guide was very informative and I give them credit for putting up with him as he being the USN Deputy Commander that he is he inundated them with tons of technical questions. When to tour ended we both enjoyed an educational tasting. We toured the grounds and it was breathtaking. A year later he proposed to me and I could not think of a better venue for a wedding then to go back to Macallan and have our wedding ceremony at the Easter Ellchies House on the estate of the Macallan. I sent an e-mail to the the PR department for the Macallan in Edinburgh, my now fiancee did not think that was going to go anywhere. Well, to my suprise I did receive a response and they were happy to discuss the possibility with us. We took our next trip over in June 2011 to meet with the staff and discuss our wishes for our wedding. To my suprise they were glad to accommodate this for us and so the planning began. In the meantime we got assigned to the his new duty station in the Asian Pacific and we had to work with the staff at Macallan via e-mail to put all the plans together. They were so helpful with every detail even assisting us in other wedding services that had nothing to do with them specifically like photographer recommendations etc... They put together a formal tasting with canopies for our guests following the ceremony. They arraged to have us picked up and secured a mini bus to pick up our guests so they don't have to drive after tasting all that beautiful Scotch. This is a dream come true for us and if it were not for the wonderful people at Macallan this would not be coming to fruition on May 25, 2013. Just a couple weeks away and we will have the wedding we dreamed of.

They truly live up to and go beyond their assertion, " A warm greeting and personal service
await all who visit"

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Macallan 12 year old is my absolute favourite tipple and I was lucky enough to be bought a tour of the distillery as a present. I loved every minute of the tour - being a bit of an engineering geek as well an an enthusiast for their product.

Fascinating process, the history of the place is there for you to see and the guided tasting at the end of the tour was a revelation.

On site store is beautiful and the advice & guidance is faultless.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Super friendly in the visitor's center and a great tour. We would have loved to be able to see more of the process than we did but the tasting at the end was worth the price of admission.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Macallan is everything you think you are going to see from a big name, mass producing distillery and therefore it feels more like visiting a big factory than a whisky distillery. The staff are knowledgeable, but the man in the shop wasn't the friendliest as we arrived for our tour. The prices in the shop were also a tad on the high side, although the tours themself were well priced at £10 or £20.

The tour has a lot of visual displays to both pad out the length of the tour and add a little bit extra that's different from some of it's rivals tours.

If you only have the time to visit one distillery, there are better options within the local area.

2  Thank ScottishLeaf