“Friendly hotel”
Review of Worplesdon Place

Worplesdon Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Worplesdon
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My family and I stayed in the hotel over Christmas and the New Year. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The meals we had in the hotel were very nice and good value for money. My husband and I welcomed in the New Year at the hotel, the staff working that night were excellent. The bedrooms are a good size and comfortable but the bathroom could do with a bit of an upgrade. The hotel grounds are lovely, it would be lovely to stay there in the summer.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
ewenred, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for your comments they are very much welcomed

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This used to be a lovely place since the current owners took over in the summer of 2013 they have just let it go to waste whilst charging way too much for the accommodation. In 8 months they haven't put a lick of paint anywhere the rooms are filthy drab and still have the very old Premier inn curtains etc. the bar is filthy we had to point out stale food in the window sills and floors that had been there for days and the staff still didn't remove it. The floors are sticky New Year's Day at breakfast guests were ignored whilst there were two staff members just making coffee for them selves when approached and asked for some service there was no acknowledgement or apology. Guests had to clean there own tables breakfast was supposed to start at 8.30 we were informed the night before, in the morning a notice appeared saying breakfast would start at 9.30 the buffet items didn't appear till near 10.30 we had to ask twice for toast and this was finally served when we had finished breakfast by someone in outdoor clothing when another guest complained to the manager that she had had to wait almost 1 hr and no staff had come near her his apology was that he should have started breakfast at 10.30. The young staff have no idea of service and there is no management or organisation, they treat guests as if they are an inconvenience. The first day there we waited 40 minutes for some eggs and sausage and we were the only two customers in the whole place, and they want over £100 per night for dirty barely furnished rooms towel rail on the floor, smelly bathrooms empty soap dispensers on the walls, dirty shower curtains, peeling paint everywhere, curtains hanging off.. Whilst some staff do try very hard to oblige they have no training or guidance or leadership. The food is dreadful,

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maggie S

I have made a note of your comments and do accept some of them, when some one is late through no fault of their it does make things very difficult, hence my comment about starting Breakfast at 10.30.
I am disapointed you failed to notice that the outside of the Hotel has been painted at a substantial cost, we also have 10 rooms being fully refurbished at the moment and the downstairs is due a change early this year. The owner is investing it just takes time.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We went for a group Xmas meal at Worplesdon place, however only decided to go there about 1hr before going having been put off by reviews. We were pleasantly surprised by lovely food (the risotto being drone as the chef "wasn't happy"), very polite staff and nice warm, all beit quiet, atmosphere. We will definitely go back - much improved on its former days.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I found myself suddenly needing to trek up to this hotel due to others being fully booked. Eventually it dawned on me that this was once a Premier Inn - I found it a little hard to believe as their hotels are usually so new and clean, but when you know what you’re looking for there are obvious signs: the colouring, carpets etc. The only problem is this is an old Premier Inn and one they seem to have jettisoned: perhaps it was badly affecting their brand image.

So that’s what it is: an old, somewhat shabby Premier Inn, okay for emergencies, but not somewhere I would choose in preference to the others, especially at £90 per night. I would rate it at maybe £40 per night, no more.

The bar area is quite nice and I found the food to be good. One problem, however, was the staff. The young barman was somewhat over-familiar: “pal”, “buddy”, “fella” and terms like that. Accompanying him were four young women who seemed to spend much of their time admiring themselves in the mirrors and simply gossiping. All of the staff spoke so loudly and consistently with each other about non-work matters that they were actually the loudest people in the bar, although they were the other side of it. I didn't really want that when I was just trying to relax for a short time, and it seemed to me the establishment was wasting its money by employing so many people when the place was otherwise quiet.

So the general impression I had was that this is something of a has-been place, with a nice bar but ruined by the unprofessionalism of the staff. Fine for emergencies, but nothing more than that. “Your mileage might vary”, as they say.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Advisor15
ewenred, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Your comments have been noted and are currently being looked into. Also Worplesdon has just recently finished a 25 year lease with Whitbread and come back into the Hands of the owner who is trying to make up for 25 years of no investment. We are currently having rooms refurbished and there will be some work in the Bar and Restaurant area as well. Our room prices are competitive for the area and we do flex them regularly and can be negotiated as well

Reviewed December 22, 2013

From the external appearance this place looks very nice, but that's about as far as it goes.
My partner and I took my aging mother and aunt there for pre-Christmas drinks and lunch 21st December 2013. The place was quite busy (not packed though) and we were informed that food orders may take up to an hour to arrive. Ok we thought, it is Christmas time after all. No problem finding an empty table although, like all the other tables it was dirty and staff were making no attempt to come round and clean them or collect glasses etc. The overall impression of the place was that it was dirty and had a couldn't care less attitude towards customers. None the less, having studied the menu and wine list (both of which were overpriced considering that, at the end of the day, this is just a bar with ideas above it's station) I went up to the bar counter to place our order. Following a considerable wait for one of the not-busy bar staff to finally serve me I was informed that they were not now taking any food orders (despite the fact that they claimed to provide food all day and other tables were being served).
I was left feeling that two decent well dressed men in their mid-fifties and two ladies in their eighties were not the sort of customer this place desired (maybe the place is more suited to the kind of people who are prepared to accept overpriced poor service and standards as the norm). We all left without ordering anything and will NEVER EVER return and all do our utmost to ensure everyone we know is informed of what a terrible place this is.
Interesting to note that of the many many poor reviews this place has received, the management have not responded/replied/commented once.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Keith09

Trip advisor allows people to have an opinion and the opportunity to express it, but that doesn’t mean I have to accept all of them. When you don’t have anything on the Menu over £20 and please take in to account we do have fillet Steak on the Menu, I really don’t understand how we are over priced. I am disappointed with your review and be assured as with all reviews these will passed on to the staff.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visited this Hotel on Saturday evening. The Hotel is generally a dirty place being unattractive, cold and unwelcoming. The staff were confused, unhelpful and had no idea what they were doing with regards to service, stock or pricing. The wine list is terrible and so is the food offer, including their marketing material. In the restaurant the food was awful with very poor choice, definitely not good value and the staff were impolite and inexperienced.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David M

I have taken on board your comments, but I guess there is very little else to say.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We visited worplesdon place for lunch today since it had changed management and no longer is a beefeater and now a bespoke hotel. Having been to a couple of other bespoke establishments we were left very disappointed. We arrived at 12 just at the start of the lunch rush, to begin with there were only a couple of customers however one of the bar staff seemed to think it appropriate to swear loudly (f***) from behind the bar. Considering that a few minutes later the place was filling up with families with young children we felt this was totally inappropriate. We ordered our food and drinks, the wine we were served was undrinkable, when the food finally came one dish was minus part of the meal and the steak that had been ordered as rare was well done. After having sent back the wine and one of the meals we overheard one of the waitress's commenting 'it's no wonder this place gets such bad reviews'! Despite being given a discount for the poor service and incompetence of the kitchen I definitely won't be eating here again which is a shame as it is in such a great location and has such potential.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 861Customer1

As we previously discussed via email, the actions of that member of staff were totally unacceptable and he has been very much made aware of that.I do hope you take up my offer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Worplesdon
Asperion Hillside Hotel
3 mi away
Asperion
Asperion
#1 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Worplesdon Place? Share your experiences!