All reviews mango one night his wife in advance a great place to stay capital roseau infinity pool nice pool island lodge portsmouth menu dominica dive chill terrace beaches stephane
Selected filters
Reviewed November 22, 2018

We stayed here for a week in October and had a wonderful time!!! Stephane and his wife are very gracious hosts. They accommodated our every request. The rooms are very comfortable as is but I am honestly very excited to come back and visit once all of Stephane's upgrades are complete. I would go back tomorrow if I could and I certainly plan on coming back. I highly recommend this spot for couples and families though don't expect all the non-stop activity that you would get form a major beach resort. This is a place to come and unwind, unplug and enjoy unspoiled nature in a beautiful setting. Great for a romantic getaway, great "home base" for a dive adventure, hiking adventure or both. Can't wait to come back

Room tip: All the rooms are wonderful.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2018

I booked this hotel several weeks in advance of my trip. Two weeks before I requested that my reservation be changed from two nights to one night since I had other accommodations but still wanted to experience this resort. The hotel management refused to change my reservation even though I had free cancellation. Thankfully an expired credit card was attached to the account I used to make the reservation so I wasn't charged but I would not stay at this hotel based on management's refusal to accommodate their own policy

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
MangoManahe, Propriétaire at Mango Island Lodges Boutique hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2018

One more time we're going to explain to you...
To confirm a booking, according to our booking policy, you must pay a deposit. As you said, you provide expired credit card information, and as you said you weren't charge.
During several weeks you never reply to our emails asking you to provide the right credit card information.
Finally, you wanted to provide them 2 weeks before your arrival and change your booking from two night to one.
The minimum booking night is 2 and as you never pay the deposit, your booking was not confirmed.
But without a cancellation from you, we prepared your room were waiting for you.... And you never show up.
So, at this time, you still owing us 100% of your booking.
If you expect respect from others, you must respect others first.

Reviewed August 10, 2017

Mango Lodge

This place is absolutely stunning. The tropical eco-resort appeal is exactly what I was looking for. I love that it is a small boutique hotel and we hardly saw our neighbors making it feel like we had the place to ourselves. If fact, we visited in late May after cruise ship season and we had almost everywhere we visited to ourselves. On our last 2 days we met our neighbors and had a great time with them. Pool was beautiful and very relaxing to watch the sunset from. They even took care of arranging a rental car for us. The owners Karine & Stéphane were so nice and friendly. Stéphane gave us tons of advice, directions and help during our stay - truly a great host! I asked a TON of questions prior to arriving about the island, lodge, car and more and Stéphane was very responsive via email.

We stayed in the beautiful Mango room. The room was as advertised with a king size bed, TV, WIFI, mini fridge, tea & coffee with maker and a small (approximately 5x5x5 inches) safe opened with a key. In addition, you are provided a local cell phone to use during your stay. No tub, but it had a rain shower with a wand too which I liked better than a tub. As an eco resort, I think the shower is solar because our showers the water was usually warm, but on the days it rained, the water was cold which is understandable. There is no A/C, but we never needed it and were comfortable with the windows open and fans (again we were there in May so I would ask Stéphane what weather to expect). We did need the net around the bed as for some reason the bugs loved my ankles at night. Also wouldn’t hurt to bring a little bug spray. Mini fridge was stocked (but not fully filled so you can put your own stuff in) with beer, soda and snacks for purchase at the same price as the restaurant. You can get ice from the restaurant until it closes. The only little nit picky thing we didn’t like was the bed had decoration rocks around it which looked beautiful but hurt if you stepped on it the wrong way, but we just got used to stepping over it and it was not a big deal at all.

The food at the restaurant was good and my lobster meal was our second favorite meal on the island next to the Lion Fish at Cozy Niche in Roseau. In fact, almost all meals on the island are prepared with fresh ingredients - just like farm to table. Seemed a bit pricey at first, but then you realize how fresh everything is and so much better than the processed American food. We like to venture out and try lots of different things, so we only ate a couple dinners and breakfasts at Mango Lodge. We found prices to be comparable to other places on the island. Note: "sausage" is an American hot dog. We got a lunch one day for $9.

Mango Lodge is a tie for my most favorite place we have EVER stayed along with Tranquil Seas in Roatan.

Here are a few American tips if this is your first time visiting Dominica:

For electric, Dominica is 220v and the lodge provided us 2 socket type G + adapters. All you have to do is look at the plug for your phone, tablet, camera, laptop and make sure it says somewhere on it 110/240v and you should be just fine. Most cell phones, cameras, computers are 110/240v, so if you have the original plug that came with your device, that's best. We had no problem using the lodge's adapters with our original phone plugs, but we did bring a backup portable battery just in case. Also, you need to push real hard to get the plug in the adapter, but this is normal.

For cash, I would bring small bills. Since USD is an accepted currency, I didn't bring enough small bills and finding change in the off season is a bit harder than expected. Prior to leaving, I misunderstood and thought that service change was the same thing as tipping in America. Apparently, service charge is like a fee. Once we tipped someone 20% and they said it was too much and 10% is the normal. We found that most people did not expect tips at all and I was never sure when to tip and when it was expected, so use your best judgement. If you hear VAT, that is tax.

Language - Locals speak English, but we learned that most tourists are from other non-english speaking countries and may or may not speak English. Most US citizens are at the medical college so you will find more US people near Portsmouth.

For car rental, you have to drive on the other side of the road, but the cars are right hand drive so you won't forget. The main highway roads are great, well paved, spacious and even have lighting in some places. In the towns like Rosseau and Soufriere, the roads get much tighter like driving down an alley and I can see why some people would not like this. It's ok just go slow and you will be fine. Also, many of the neighborhoods look poor with people hanging out in the street - this is normal and we never had a problem with anyone or fitting down the streets. When you are on the main road, let people overtake you if you are driving slow. Also, watch out for speed bumps around the cane field airport and also watch for dips on your way between Soufriere and Scott's head. There is a small brown sign with Mango Lodge on the street you are supposed to turn on, but it is around a corner and you can easily miss it if coming from the South. In fact, I didn't notice the sign until our last day. We used the yellow "real beer" bar as locator for when to turn on the street instead.

GPS: we are very GPS dependent for directions. I found an app before our trip called "maps me" which does not use any data! I left my android phone on airplane mode with the location on and it worked perfectly. This app saved us from getting lost too many times to count, especially in Rosseau. In addition, you can make a custom Google map, export the KML file and import it into this app and get turn by turn directions. Unfortunately, TripAdvisor won't let me post a link but I am sure if you Google how to do this you can figure it out. Beware the app is a battery drainer, so turn your phone off when not using it OR bring a backup battery. I highly recommend any GPS app as even though there are not many roads, the roads are also not labeled.

Airport transfer service: If arriving in the afternoon/evening, I highly recommend using the airport transfer service for at least your arrival. True there are not many roads to get lost on, but it does get darker around 7pm and potholes are hard to see. In addition, there are not street names. We enjoyed taking in the sights after a long day of flying and not stressing on finding the lodge. Plus our driver was great and told us many things about the island, so it is like a tour too! If you use the driver for return trip to airport, be sure to make sure your return trip is confirmed a day in advance.

Best places to visit: You can't do it all in a week, so it is good to research in advance what appeals to you, but you really can't go wrong. Our suggestions are...
Emerald Pool, Middleham Falls (hiking required) and Trafalgar Falls have great waterfalls. Champagne reef, Scott’s Head and between Ripaton Beach and Secret Bay was the best snorkeling we saw. Don't forget to stop by Bubble Beach! The North side of the island has had several crimes in the past few years (you can Google and read the stories and judge for yourself), so we avoided Calibishie and the North side of the island. There is so much to do in the West side, we just stayed over there. If you are not an regular hiker, I would do Middleham Falls before attempting Boiling Lake to make sure your body can handle the challenge. Also, divers be aware of the elevation, so don't dive 18-24 hours before a elevated hike or you could get the bends and there is not a decompression chamber on the island.

Have a great trip and enjoy the Mango Island Lodges!

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie B
Reviewed April 18, 2017

For the second part of our stay, we wanted to be in the central part of the island with easy access to the beach (Mero beach is walkable), and Mango totally fit the bill. This part of the island is a bit more arid than jungle-like, so the salt water infinity pool, situated at the top of a hill overlooking the Caribbean sea, is a really nice perk. There are only 3-4 rooms, each designed in a cheerfully elegant modern decor utilizing local eco-conscious materials. All water is heated by solar panels. And included in each room is an older cell phone for guests to use, which really came in handy for making local calls and getting around. The French owners, Stéphane & Karine have spent years lovingly crafting the landscaping throughout the property and it shows.

The restaurant is creatively, yet tastefully, designed with three different themed sections, one of which includes swinging chairs, and all of which have breathtaking views of the Caribbean. Stéphane & Karine seem to do most of the cooking, with our favorites being the crepes for breakfast, the cumin & paprika encrusted tuna for dinner and the pineapple cake for dessert. The breakfast menu is set with 5-6 items, and the dinner menu changes based on the availability of local ingredients and the various catches of the day. You need to make your dinner selection by 2pm, choosing from a board posted with that day’s menu. John and Jocie, feeling daring, split a lion fish one night, which lead to some entertaining stories of Stéphane’s colorful diving run-ins with the poisonous fish.

Stéphane is an excellent resource for diving info and good hiking trails, and we really enjoyed our time at Mango with him, Karine, and their sweet daughter.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank tesiab
Reviewed February 15, 2017 via mobile

We very much enjoyed Mango Island.
We usually stay in Condos, but we were very comfortable here.
The views and the property landscaping were phenomenal. The staff from top to bottom were helpful very accommodating and over the top nice.
The lodge is true to what they present in their description and pictures, I can not say that for many of the other hotels we had looked at.
Any activities you would like to do can be arranged if needed.
Very comfortable, quiet and beatiful views in all directions.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Firescaper