Jumeirah Vittaveli
$413
$400
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Adaaran Prestige Vadoo(Vaadhoo Island)
$580
$265
$230
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa(Emboodhu Finolhu)
$800
Agoda.com
$94
$87
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskids clubbeach villaprivate poolindian restaurantspecial thanksthe general managerwater sportsocean suitemale airportour honeymoonbuggy servicefish feedingfamily holidayairport loungel shapehis teammain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have just returned from this resort, having spent a long weekend (5 days) there.

The service, the food, the staff, the resort itself and the hospitality of Jumeirah Vittaveli are second to none!

We wanted to go away for a relaxing weekend, that we got and more....for a small luxury island resort there is so much to do, we couldn't fit it all in. The Talise Spa was just stunning, with very professional and friendly staff - make sure you have their Ginger tea, and feed the fish at 6.30pm every day - I've never seen sting rays come up to the shore before, especially not to eat with an audience! We also went diving, to the house reef and a boat dive - the vis was around 20m, with amazing coral and fish that I'd never seen before. Didn't get round to any of the large range of watersports that they had!

The rooms were stunning, with your own private pool and outdoor bathtub and shower, very private....walking out to your own private beach to go snorkelling was fantastic.

I have to say the restaurants served very good food, don't miss out on the 'Hot Pot night' at Mu Bar, sitting on the end of a jetty with your own chef and hot pot to cook in/on - such an experience and very reasonable (also try the mussels as a starter, I've been told that this is the chef's own recipe - best I've tasted yet)

All in all, I'd recommend this resort above any other, keep up the good work guys, we'll definately see you soon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear JQNess,
We thank you for taking the time to write with your generous feedback.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here with us. I will definitely pass on your kind comments to the Talise spa and the rest of the team who I am sure will be more motivated in keeping the standards of our service to the highest level.
It is indeed a great experience to be up close with amazing creatures like the sting rays and be able to watch them feed. This is truly a unique and memorable experience our guests enjoy.
Our villas are designed to give you the utmost privacy and luxuries of a Maldivian holiday with your own private pool and just a few steps away from the white sand beach.
We have just introduced “Hot Pot” dining in Mu Grill and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy it during your stay. Our Chef and his team are introducing more unique dining options such as the Aqua dining in the pool by Bar-ee.
Once again, I thank you for your wonderful comment and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Season’s greetings,

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We just spent a week at the Jumeirah Vittavelli Hotel and WOW! is the only word to describe it. We were 2 adults and 2 children and we travelled with friends who were also 2 adult and 2 children. Being that we are very picky and particular when it comes to service and luxury we were ALL very impressed with are overall experience.

The hotel was impeccable and the rooms were very clean and spacious...
We had the beach villas directly facing the beach side (#35 and 36) and they were amazing. The reef and sea life on that side is incredible as well. Not to mention just a short walk to the main pool, kids club, restaurant, bar. The rooms each had a nice wrap around swimming pool and an outdoor shower and bath tub. The kids loved the outdoor bath tub and the housekeeping staff would prepare a bubble bath for them outside every night which they absolutely loved!!!

The Island and hotel are beautiful and the ocean is crystal clear, but the service is reason to write home... I was amazed by the wonderful service. As mentioned previously we travel a lot and have high expectations, but this place ticked all the boxes for us. The staff were beyond friendly and helpful. The General Manager, Gisselle was outstanding and extremely pleasant, she personally greeted us on arrival and went out of her way every night to greet us at dinner and make sure we were having the time of our life. Meanwhile, she also made some fantastic suggestions for things to do throughout our stay.

One of the most memorable, was the private fishing trip ($400), where the hotel arranged a large fishing boat from 6-8pm that took us out into the ocean where we got to try our hand at fishing via line. The kids loved it and we caught 4 fishes that were later cleaned and cooked at the beach restaurant for dinner (for a small fee).

The spa was also beautiful, unfortunately I was too sunburnt to have any treatments but hubby tried it out and he loved his massage which was given by a balinese masseus in a treatment room that over looked the clear ocean... Although a bit pricey my hubby felt it was worth every penny.
However, I did notice the spa had some deals on treatments before 1pm and also for treatments booked within 24 hours of arrival. Unfortunately we didnt take advantage of the promotions but good to know for next time;)

As for meals, there are 3 restaurants. We frequented 2 out of 3 daily, to include the main venue near the main pool think it was called Samsara. The staff there was great and very attentive and patient with our lil ones. And because of its open layout, once finished with their meals the kids would play on the beach within eye contact and the adults enjoyed their meals and cocktails.
Also worth mentioning, all the kids meals were free. And they offered both the restaurant buffet or kids menus, which were both tasty and healthy. I usually dont like kids menus but they had choices like fish and rice, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. My son loves chicken noodle soup, so the staff would have chicken noodle soup every night waiting for him... that was very special :)

The beach grill? not sure of the exact name but the restaurant closest to the dive center, was also beautiful and directly on the sandy beach. The food was impeccable and the seafood fresh however, the service was not to my personal standards. And preferred the main restaurant.

Meanwhile, the airport experience was pleasant, staff at bot arrival and departure were great. After being greeted we were escorted to the speed boat, and it took us no more than half an hour to arrive the resort. Be sure to look out for dolphins on the boat ride, as we spotted quite a few and it was spectacular.

Overall I have absolutely NO gripes and would recommend this resort to EVERYONE, with kids or as couples. I thank the general manager Gissele and her fantastic staff as they all seemed content with their jobs and went out of their way to serve in any way possible. That is what I call excellent customer service.

This coming from a very discerning traveller and someone who has been to lots and lots of resorts throughout the world, this experience has been one of the best. My family and I thank you ALL.

Room Tip: The beach side villas, the sea life and coral on that side is unbelievable:)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Linda F

Dear Linda F,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your glowing review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you and your family have had wonderful experience with us. I will pass on your generous comments to Gisele and to the rest of the team who will be pleased to hear that you were satisfied with their service. It motivates our team in keeping the service standards to the highest level.

You are right; Vittaveli is indeed perfect for both families who want to enjoy a relaxing holiday or couples on a romantic getaway. There is plenty to keep both the kids and adults busy, from games in the Kids Club, fishing, snorkeling to lounging with a cocktail in hand by the beach.

I am very pleased to hear that you and your children enjoyed our restaurants. Our Executive Chef has just introduced new menus for both for adults and kids.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback; it helps us to let other travellers to get an idea on how amazing the island is.

We hope to welcome you and your family back on our little patch of paradise.

Season’s greetings,

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I enjoy our honeymoon at JV very much. After a long search for resort at Maldives, the photo of the private and BIG pool at lagoon villa at JV caught our eyes. We are glad we made the right choice.

- We stayed at lagoon sunset villa Turtle 5 for 3 nights. The pool is bigger than we expected. We love spending our time at our villa and the pool.

- Definitely go for sunset side, the view was spectacular!

- We received a bottle of complementary wine, a fruit basket and romantic bedding decoration, that’s sweet.

- Staff are very professional. JV should be proud of having a team of professional staff. They are not only friendly, helpful, but also love to chat and share with us. We enjoy chatting with them when we taking the golf cart or dinning at the restaurants. Our appreciation goes to Khalid who shown sincere care to us, and gave us much details of the villa.

- The restaurant Fennese is GREAT! The view, setting and food are superb!! You could see the cook did put their heart into cooking. We love the presentation and taste of each dishes from appetizer to dessert. Romantic, cozy, fantastic sea view with breeze.

Rooms for improvement:-

- It’s very hot at noon time so we called for a golf cart to take us back to the villa from the main restaurant, instead of by foot. Yet the waiting time was more than 30mins.

- It’s weird that no door bell at villa. We need to lower the volume of the TV everytime when we were waiting the golf cart to ensure that we could hear the staff lock on our door. On the last day, we were woken by the staff locking at our room to give us a bill for check out while we were taking nap…. That's inconvenient.

- We ordered steak and seafood at Mu on the beach but both were overcooked. I read the review before going, so I did remind the staff the steak at medium. Yet it turned out to be well done!! And the seafood, fish, was definitely overcooked.

- We were told BBQ buffet at the main restaurant on every Friday. Yet it brought us the biggest disappointment. Very limited variety of food. The bbq seafood was not hot enough and overcooked. The fish was seriously cooked.

All in all, we are satisfied with our trip in JV!

Room Tip: Definitely go for sunset side! Important to apply sunblock lotion:)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Pui P,

Thank you for your generous feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

Our Lagoon Villas are indeed very comfortable and luxurious with your own private pool and deck to enjoy the sunset or sunrise perfect for a romantic honeymoon retreat.

Rest assured that your comments will be passed on to Khalid and to rest of the team who I am sure will be even more motivated to keep our service standards to the highest level.

Fenesse is certainly a special place to have a romantic dinner where you can choose to be cozy indoors or have a romantic dinner under the stars on the deck.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the golf carts. We are happy to let you know that we now have more buggies for our guests to use and radio sets so we can coordinate pickups smoothly. We are also now starting to install bells for all villas.

Regarding the food in Mu Grill, my apologies that the food was not served to your liking. Our Executive Chef Nishanta is continuously doing quality checks and trainings to ensure that all preferences of our guests are met. Chef Nishanta also has just introduced new exciting menus for Samsara and Mu Grill. We have also now introduced new dining experiences such as Hot Pot at Mu Grill and Aqua dinner in the pool by BAREE.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back to our island of paradise.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

First , i stayed there in the last 3 days of my 10 days trip to maledives. The first 7 days i spent in shangri la " which was perfect"

Regarding JV the location is superb , nearest to the airport!
The island itself is too small , they didnt provide us with bicycles and when i asked for them my butler was like i cant promise you because they are all in use now but ill try my best , later on he parked only one infront of my villa which was pointless as i wont take a tour without my husband! Furthermore the bicycle looked cheap , dirty and bad!

Our butler was not the best at all had a couple if issues with him ! The sports centre staff were annoying too as we booked for a certain boat trip and when we went it showed up they made other people use it and we had to wait for 20 mints , and the man there and our butler kept blaming each other for this as the man in the activity centre said it was not confirmed by our butler ! although my husband made the reservation himself and told our butler about it.

Moving on to the food they didnt have a lot of varieties plus the main restaurant door was so heavy , you always have trouble opening it getting in and out to get your food from the buffet especially when you are holding your plate ! And no one helped you Staff were not as friendly as other 5 star hotels you'v visited

Youll always have to wait so long for golf cars to transfer you between areas of the island , one time i was waitting infront of the reception and a guy that worked in the hotel kept stairing in a really annoying way! My husband got mad ! The stuff should all be trained !

On the other hand The rooms were clean and big , i stayed in a beach villa, they have great mac entertaining in room service ! The private pools in each room is great and also the main pool is fascinating and has a var tgat provides great snacks

The best thing in this hotel is the spa ! They are all professionals.

Maybe if i didnt visit shangrila prior i would have had better impression but you cant help comparing !

If you are loonking for a luxurious room and restaurants but you dont care about the staff it could work for you

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Riri-alalamy

Dear Riri-alalamy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I was very disappointed to read your feedback and I take your comments very seriously as we are continuously working hard to ensure that our team deliver the high standard of service that you should quite rightly expect. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team and actions have been put in place to address the points that you have raised. Regarding your feedback about your butler and our service staff, we have ongoing trainings and quality checks to ensure that our guests are provided with the highest service standards.

We are pleased to let you know that we now have more buggies and handheld radios so we can communicate pick up requests faster.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed the comforts of your villa and its amenities. The rooms are indeed quite spacious and have your own private pool to enjoy. I will pass on your kind comments about the Spa to the team, I am sure they will be glad to learn of your satisfaction with their service.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Vittaveli in the future.

Yours Truly,

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I must preface that this was my first time in Maldives and I spent a very long time researching the perfect resort for our honeymoon, so I put a lot of pressure on our entire trip. I must also say that the determining factor was also that we booked this stay before the resort opened and they were running amazing deals, we couldn't have afforded to stay here otherwise.

The first thing that comes to mind when I look back on our trip, is the staff. From top to bottom, the staff is what makes this resort a 5 star resort. By the last day, my wife and I were sad to leave knowing we didn't know when we would see everyone again. From the bartenders at the pool bar to all of the restaurant managers (too many to remember specifically), everyone made us feel special and looked after us to the T.

We initially booked 4 nights in a Beach Villa and the final 3 nights in a Lagoon Villa. I really wanted to try out an overwater villa for the 1st time, so it was a late change. When we arrived, we were greeted with Coconut drinks and drums playing and whisked away for a tour of the island (which we later learned is 80% man made!). Once complete, we were taken to Villa 36 on the sunset side. An amazing, spacious room, I can't imagine why a couple would need anything larger than this, it was perfect! The only issue arouse when later that evening when my wife and I were laying outside, we noticed some of the outdoor lights went out. Turns out the bathroom lights also were malfunctioning so I called the resort concierge. After 4 phone calls and an hour later, someone arrived and attempted to fix the issue for about 45 min. I then told him to leave and come back in the morning as it was after 10:00 PM and my wife and I were falling asleep on the couch after our long travels. So I called to see if we could move rooms since we couldn't see anything in the bathroom at night. I asked to be moved early to a lagoon villa, and 15 min later they were taking us to our new room, I was very impressed.

The management came through when the start of our honeymoon could have been irreversibly tarnished.

The Lagoon Villas are huge! We were given Turtle 6, on the sunset side towards the end of the walkway. Everything about the room was amazing, and my wife much preferred the indoor bathroom for getting ready at night.

I'll move along here and get to the dinning options.

Let's get one thing straight, this place is easily the most expensive place I have ever stayed at, blows 4S Maui out of the water! We went to Fennese on our first full day for dinner and had a very nice meal, I enjoyed Beef Cheeks! My favorite location for dinner was Mu on the beach where they have nightly fish feedings where stingrays come up to feed and a few nights a week they have hermit crab races! Try the $50 Kobe Burger, insanely expensive, but the cheapest beef option on the menu and actually really good.

I would have to say the surprise of the trip came on our last full day. A few weeks before our stay, I emailed the GM asking if we were going to have the complimentary honeymoon beach dinner. I was given a response of no, we don't run that promotion anymore, even though it is on their website, I was just asking since we booked our trip through a TA, not Jumeirah directly. Well, on the last day someone came to our door and asked if beef was alright for our private dinner, befuddled I wanted to make sure it was complimentary since I was previously told it wasn't and it was $250 a person. Well it was and we had the meal of a lifetime to remember, we were left stuffed and I can't thank JV enough for doing this for us. We were even able to bring with us the bottle of wine they gave us for the first night incident!

To sum things up, the main reason that I can't give JV 5 stars is that while we loved the resort and loved the staff, I wasn't blown away by anything related to the hard product. The rooms were huge and each had a huge pool, but they looked worn already, not like the pics with shiny teak. I can understand though that an overwater room is hard to keep looking new with all that salt in the air...but I expected more, unless the rustic look was what they are going for. Would I ever return, probably not since Maldives is SO far away from the USA and there are so many amazing resorts to try out. Would I recommend it though? Of course! Just make sure you book a room on the sunset side, or you WILL be staring at the burning garbage island in the distance and Male.

Room Tip: Sunset side for sure! Sunrise side faces a burning garbage island and the lights of Male..I was a but disappointed by this as I was told by my TA that this wouldn't be an issue, but we had sunset side rooms. If we had sunrise side, I would of made a huge stink! Do a lagoon villa if you want a bathroom with full A/C, the beach villas have outside bathrooms that will make getting ready a sweaty chore.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear SFore,

Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the service our team has provided you during your stay. Your comments will be passed on to the rest of the team.

I am deeply sorry to hear about your experience on your first night in the Beach Villa regarding the lights being fused. We have our Maintenance team who are working round the clock to make sure that incidents such as this can be avoided. I am happy to hear that didn’t keep you from relaxing and enjoying the rest of your stay. Our Lagoon Villas are indeed very spacious with your own private deck to enjoy the view of the sea, a perfect setting to enjoy your Honeymoon.

Most of the food supplies here in the Maldives are flown in or shipped from different parts of the world and we make sure that we only use the highest quality of products, which has an effect on the prices on our menus. We do always strive to provide value and quality, though.

I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your private beach dinner on your last night. It is one of the most unforgettable experiences that our guests truly enjoy; dining on the beach under the stars is a great way to end your honeymoon.

Our rooms are designed to have a rustic Maldivian touch made of natural materials and timber, at the same time keeping it luxurious and modern with our room amenities for your comfort.

Thank you so much once again for sharing you feedback, it helps us continuously improve our service quality.

Warm regards,