“The worst I've ever seen, we left!”

Cawleys Guest House
Ranked #2 of 7 Tubbercurry B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2011

The room we were shown to was filty dirty, the walls were all grubby,dirt stains, hand prints etc. with paint falling off (from damp), the winows has mould growing on the inside, the carpet was dirty and all stains and greeted with a smell of damp, musty and cold. It was so bad we stood looking at the room and each other for 15 minutes before we decided (standing-because I couldn't bear to sit down anywhere) to go back down to reception and request a clean room as we were not happy(disgusted) with this one. We were shown 2 more rooms, but it didn't get any better, the corridor which led to the rooms has wallpaper with active mould growth all over it, one room even had a thick band of mould growing all around the edge of the ceiling. It was not fit for anyone to stay in. I said this to the staff and I was told "you don't have to stay here", (no excuses for the state of the rooms or surprise at our disgust) which we didn't, we were paying good money for a hap hazard run down establishment that we unhealthy to be in. So at 7pm in the evening we had to turn around after 5 hours travelling and find accommodation. Don't put yourself through the torment of even thinking about staying here, you could leave sick with the amount of mould and damp in this place-SHOCKING!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Siobhan3

Reviewed June 11, 2010

Pierre & Teresa run this superb Guest House for their guests , and they ensure that you enjoy your stay in the comfort of a homely atmosphere . Teresa took time out to map " A DAY OUT" for my wife and me ( as if there was nothing else to do in this busy hotel) , and on our return after an excellent day , Pierre made sure we were refreshed and fed . Do try the "Panga" ( a fresh water Vietnamese fish) specially imported !! You wont get better hospitality than this , so make of it while you can.

Neil & Margaret Macdonald. Harrogate , North yorkshire .

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BlueNeptune
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My wife and I visited Tubbercurry to celebrate the 70th Birthday party of a dear friend and stayed at Cawley's. We were made extremely welcome by Pierre when we arrived and were very impressed at the personal attention given at all times which is usually missing from many of the larger not family-run hotels. For example, on the Sunday evening when the kitchen was closed and a large funeral party virtually took over the hotel, Teresa still asked if we would like something to eat and cooked a delightful meal which we ate at a specially laid table for two. The previous day she had made a booking for us for a seaweed bath at a local beach leisure centre and nothing was too much trouble.
Overall, a fantastic short break and if we ever return to that part of Ireland we would definately stay at Cawley's.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Appreciative7
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I was made to feel welcome from the moment I walked through the doors. The room was very warm and cosy with a complementary bottle of wine and fruit platter and a lovely welcoming note from the proprietors.

The garden at the back is stunning and, weather-provided, it makes a lovely place to sit and relax any time of the day or night.

I never felt the need to have meals anywhere else as the menu changed daily and the food was absolutely gorgeous! The bar and restaurant staff are extremely friendly and good for the 'craic'.

I was there at one of the busiest times of the year, during a music festival, and never once did I feel that I was simply just a 'guest'. I would go back there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank CailinRuaGalway
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This is a delightful hotel located in a beautiful part of the country was a read find - its easy access to both the airport and Sligo city made it an ideal location for me.
The restaurant was a delight as was the food, which apart from being freshly prepared is apparently sourced locally.
My room was spacious, modern in its decoration and quiet - something that is not always easy to come by these days.
The staff was extremely helpful and went way beyond the call of duty to ensure that I was properly looked after.
Another stay for sure the next time I’m in the area.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TravellerW5
Reviewed May 12, 2009

my wife and i have had holidays all over europe but i cannot recall anything like the
hospitality we recieved during our recent stay at CAWLEYS in Tubbercurry.
Pierre and Teresa could not do enough to make our short stay as enjoyable as posible.
The staff ,the food ,the people Tubbercury were super.
We cannot wait to go back there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2009

This a lovely hotel of a type that used to be typical of market towns of a certain size. Many of these have have disappeared or maybe offer less than we now expect. The service here makes this hotel a rare gem. The hotel is old fashioned in layout but the decor shows a certain flair. I've stayed here a few times recently. There is a very warm welcome and the hotel seems to be very much part of the town with locals in and out. I travel on my own and felt very comfortable here. The food is great. A good menu with real food prepared fresh. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was fabulous. It's not a minimalist modern hotel but a country town hotel where the owners remembered my name on my second visit. I like it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
cawleysguesthouse, Owner at Cawleys Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2009

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. We really appreciate it. I apologise for the fact that our off street parking was not mentioned to you on your first visit. An oversight that we hope to correct for our future arrivals. We have off street parking just off the rear garden which is accessible from the main street. Hopefully you can avail of it on your next visit. . Teresa