“Come try it, you will like it”

Ristorante Sottovento
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I drove for about 10 minutes from hotel to Passignano Sul Trasimeno, a small town by the lake. Very relaxing town and quite a few restaurants offering good seafood.

I came to this restaurant based on hotel recommendation. The first time I came for lunch was a Monday and they were closed for Monday lunch. I tried for another restaurant that day and came back again on Tuesday and they opened.

I guess it is the most up class restaurant in the area. Most restaurants in the area are very close to the road, so it is kind of busy and noisy most of the time. I picked the table outside but by the door. Inside seating was very nice though.

Since we were not that hungry that day, we just ordered 2 dishes. One was scallop and another one was seafood spaghetti. The scallop looks good and taste good too. The spaghetti has very big portion. I have counted after finished. There are a total of 4 shrimps, 1 scampi, 43 mussels, and 25 clams, and squids. For 14 Euro the spaghetti is a good deal. The portion is definitely enough for 2 dishes in other restaurants. Apart from the generous portion of food, taste was good and fresh too. Service from the lady was nice.

Surprisingly we were the only table that day for lunch. I guess more customers are here for dinner and most customers opted for more casual places for their lunch.

The restaurant provided an interesting object for customers to clean their hands after eating seafood. It is a compressed napkin like the size of your thumb nail. But after putting some water onto it, it expands several times and become a full size napkin. Though the napkin is not exclusively available at the restaurant it is definitely a good gesture and very interesting gadget provided by the restaurant.

Definitely recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank CLau888

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is an elegant restaurant overlooking Lake Trasimeno and the food is delicious. One of our party had mussels in a very light sauce, which was absolutely super, consisting of a very tasty light garlic flavoured thin broth with plentiful mussels on top. This was followed by tagiliatelle (pasta) with seafood and I had ravioli with prawns in a lightly flavoured curry sauce. We had a bottle of Montefalco wine with this. The service was excellent and our lovely waitress spoke very good English for those who do not speak Italian. We think this is the best restaurant in Passignano and is ideal for both lunch or dinner. It is very tastefully decorated with fine linen tablecloths and napkins. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Maturity
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stopped by here on our way around Lago di Trasimeno. The restaurant is right by the road but don't let that put you off. The food is elegantly presented, large amounts of it and absolutely delicious. The restaurant is not your normal Tuscan Restaurant, the napkins are linen, there is music playing and last night with a soft breeze coming off the lake to cool us all down, we were in heaven. Highly recommended!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My dearly beloved and I first visited Passignano some thirteen years ago on our second visit to Italy. Were were staying in Castel Rigone but, being English, walked down to Passignato most days for lunch. We were on our to Arezzo from Le Marche and the autostrada took us past Lake Trasimeno so we just 'popped in to have a nostalgic look' (as one does). We spotted this little restaurant and were greeted by a lovely girl so we (I) decided to eat there. The restaurant has a perfect view of the lake and especially Isola Maggiore although the traffic on the road that runs in front of the restaurant can be noisy and a little smelly. The menu is not extensive but offers a good range of fish dishes which suited she who must be obeyed perfectly. For starters she chose Zuppa di cozze e vongole; I chose the tartare di tonno - both beautifully presented and perfectly seasoned. For our mains, madam had the cartoccio di branzino. This had been presented in its wrapping but was taken away and represented, on a very smart black plate minus bones and skin - classy. I had the cartoccio of pasta and seafood. Again, both dishes were perfect. We had a lovely time talking with the waitress (in Italian) although she was very keen to learn some new English words so were able to help.
I cannot recommend this establishment highly enough

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Well worth a stop for the evening romantic atmosphere of the small restaurant. From each table you have a beautiful view of Lake Trasimeno. Fusion style interiors, between the eighteenth and ethnic. The menu offers mostly well cooked seafood, some local specialties and earthfood alternatives. Good selection of wines. Quality service and average prices.