“Beware! Stay at your own risk!”

Marc Aggelos Studios
Ranked #15 of 15 Perivolos B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Upon your arrival you will be greeted with surprise, and nonchalance. Originally we had booked into Johnny's Studio across the road from this hotel, but once we arrived, we find out it no longer exists. However, the Aggelos/Angelos Studios are affiliated with Johnny's and offered to honor our reservation for twice the price!

We took one look at the rooms, most of which are dirty and situated below ground level, the broken air conditioning, and general run down appearance and decided to go elsewhere.

There are loads of better places to stay than this, for half the price.

The owners/managers do not present themselves well at all and aside from this, can barely speak English. We felt unsafe and uncomfortable even telling them that we would not be staying for the time we had booked and quickly high-tailed it out of there. We are very glad our taxi waited for us.

The location is not at all as advertised, and is actually about 1km from the beach. The pool has green algae growing in it, leaves strewn everywhere, and the bar has dust about an inch thick on all the glassware. It actually would appear that this hotel is closed, open only for the desperate tourist. I would rather spend the night sleeping in the port/airport.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Definitely much better to be found around Perissa / Perivolas
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JonKalagel

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at Meteora Studios from May 18 to June 1. When it came time to leave, I found it hard to say goodbye! I didn't want to leave! The staff was very helpful and respectful. Tamar (one of the workers,) left me beautiful pink flowers on my bed when he cleaned the room and it was spotless every time he did. The rooms are air-conditioned and have cable tv. The TV's are great because you can actually hook up your HDMI cable to the back of it and since wi-fi is free, you can stream netflicks, facebook, etc...straight to your TV set. The hotel is so close to everything you may need or want. moped rentals, the euromarket, and many restaurants on the strip in Perivolos are all very close by! (You must MUST visit the owner's restaurant, Meteora restaurant for dinner, lunch, or breakfast, or all three if you can. Breakfast is included for guests and make use of the beach chairs and order a cold beer on the beach! It was amazing waking up to the mountain and pool view every morning! The pool at Meteora stiudios was also very refreshing and since it was off-season, I had the pool all to myself which was great! it was very peaceful and quiet. It was the most perfect get-away. I'm sure I will be back every summer! The people who own the studios work very hard and still ALWAYS have a smile on their faces, ready to help you in any and every way they can! thank you Irene and Roland! I will see you in September and again in May! I made several friends while in Santorini and I'm so happy I did! Your stay in Santorini won't be the same if you stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank stassiiamaria
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We booked the Angelos (Aggelos in Greek so can be confusing!) just 3 weeks before we went. We struggled to find many pictures or reviews so ended up taking the risk. On arrival there is a bit of a dumping ground of old cars and bits of scrap, but this is fairly typical of a lot of Greek islands and the actual apartments were extremely well kept and clean etc.
The other reviews warned about rooms being damp, in the basement etc. Basically there are 4 rooms on the 1st floor, all with balconies and bigger than the 8 other rooms on the ground floor. We were initially disappointed as there is no private balcony, it is a path around the building (depending on which side of the building you are it is not that private) We were in room 10 which I think is probably one of the best as it is away from everything and nobody walks past it to their room. We were still able to have breakfast and drinks outside though! (see photos). The bedroom (and kitchen within it) is perfectly clean but very basic, there is a plug in 2 ring hob, fridge and sink. Bathroom again is fine, typical greek shower wet room. The pool is great, plenty of space and very clean. They are very strict about not eating or drinking your own food etc around the pool - which is understandable as there is a bar open all day which serves good snacks. Ouana runs the bar and the whole place really - she is lovely, (as is her husband Florin - who runs a bar on the beach).
The resort is all along one long road - loads of mopeds etc and a bit dark, but fine, you may need a torch for the track leading to the actual apartments. There is a huge range of bars and restaurants from Perivilos to Perissa - basically 2 resorts all along the one road, one leads into the other. If you go towards Perivolos and continue after a bit of the road that looks as though it is not leading anywhere you reach some fantastic bars and restaurants - MUCH nicer than a lot of the others you will find. We try to eat local food so recommend: Lava, Ammos, a really traditional Meze place past JoJo's etc, and Cayo restaurant (next door to the ultra violet Cayo bar). We hired a Jeep (about £20 a day cheaper than the rep could do) from the main street in Perissa away from the beach. It is opposite a 24 hour bakery that is EXCELLENT as well as the main supermarket (that isn't really much cheaper than the Euromarket 2 mins from the Studios)
Really recommend getting a car - Go to Perygos, lovely old hilltop village, Fira - we had a drink in the Cafe del Mar (up some stairs overlooking the Caldera) Oia is just beautiful and definately worth going to. We didn't do any trips but the various people we spoke to that did were all a bit disappointed so if you can, do it yourself! We also went to the Boutari Winery and had a wine tasting - really reasonable and a bit different.

Santorini is a beautiful island - take flip flops for the beach, the sand is HOT but worth going to (avoid JoJo's and Chilli - VERY expensive drinks on the beach). Overall we had a great 2 weeks and if you enjoy going out etc as opposed to spending loads of time in the rom, these Studios will suit you fine!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed at the Angelos Studios in July 2008 and found it to be a very clean, welcoming and attractive place to stay.
We stayed in Room 3 which seemed to be one of , if not the biggest room. It was very clean, spacious with fantastic views of the beach and pool area from the large balcony.
The cooking facilities in the room consisted of a two ring electric hob (fine for making coffee / tea etc). Fridge with small freezer compartment and usual cutlery, glasses etc.

Bathroom was small but adequate and from the small window you could see the mountain in the background!

Pool area very clean and well cared for - pool was cleaned very regularly and a small jacuzzi and childrens pool were also impressive.
Pool bar serving basic snacks (toasted sandwhiches, salads, chips, etc) and a variety of drinks were available from 9am - 5.30 and from 7pm - 12/1am.
Fantastic service from Oana who seems to do everything 7 days a week and still has a smile on her face.
The pool bar is more expensive than tavernas and supermarket prices but excellent for convienience.

The apartments are in Perivolos, not Perissa as we have seen advertised. Perissa is about a 20-30 minute walk from the apartments and is far bigger a resort than Perivolos wth lots of shops and tavernas.

There is a supermarket about a 3 minute walk away which sells everything you will need. Just outside the supermarket is a bus stop which has regular buses going to Perissa, Kamari and Thira (which you can transfer to get to places such as Oia) and a phonebox.

Trip to Thira (the capital) is about 2 euros per person. From Thira to Oia is 1.40 euros per person.

This was our second visit to Santorini so we didnt experience the trips as we had previously done them but there are a variety on offer such as walking up the volcano and swimming in the Hot Springs, various cruises and the Oia sunset available.

Overall we had a very relaxing and memorable holiday and we would definatly stay at the apartments again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank roojuice
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Stop Press - Gelu and Tanya are no longer at Angelos studios!! Anyone reading the below reviews or those who have stayed here before and are thinking of returning, please note that Gelu and Tanya are no longer here... Gelu is just down the road at the Marillia, and you can still book to stay at Johnny's (with use of the bar/pool at Angelos) through him. We didn't actually stay here this time so can't pass comment on the hotel, but know that many people returned because of the welcome from Gelu and the spotless rooms cleaned by Tanya.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank MillieMolly10
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Have been to this place three times now and going back this year.my wife,daughter (10yrs) and myself discovered angelos by accident on a last minute break5 yrs ago,in all fairness we always stop in johnnys which is across the road but is owned by the same family and the rooms are large and airey with no air con but weve never needed it.the pool is excelent, the staff are excellent especially gelu and tanya who work endelessy to make sure your stay is enjoyable,it is worth noteing that if you email them there daughter will reply who i think is about 9-10yrs old. of all the people ive spoken to everyone said they would return ,As for booking it through a travel agent, forget it.book through email or gelu.if you want a relaxing holiday on a beautiful island , give it a go

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank gosseey
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We went to Santorini for my friends wedding, beautiful island and weather perfect in September.
Due to having a young baby 22 months we had not travelled abroad for 2 and a half years and were really looking forward to this 2 week break, I booked a room for 2 adults and 1 infant and emailled the hotel direct prior to arriving to say that I had read good reviews on the Internet (trip advisor) and was really looking forward to my stay, checking that they had the booking for the three of us with a baby cot in a nice room.
We arrived at the Angelos studios on Tuesday evening at about 9pm to find the smallest, darkest room that they had available. out of the 9 rooms, 3 are below ground floor with no window. There was no cot for my son and no room to swing a cat (not that we took a cat with us!) I requested a cot and after a couple of hours this arrived, although there was no room to place the cot in the room so they put the cot on the top of one of the three single beds.
We spent the first night in this room, which with three people, no air con and no window felt like we were cooking alive.
The next morning I explained that this was not an appropriate room for three people and we could not manage without air con and some space to put our cases.
We were offered a room in their sister hotel across the road for an additional 25 euros a night, based upon the fact that we had already spent £1600 on the holiday for two weeks we were really unhappy to pay extra 325 euros for the duration but realised that if we stayed in the pit we would not have any sleep and no holiday whatsoever.
We negotiated a lower rate to move but after we moved he said that as we had offered a lower rate we were not entitled to air con.
So basically we were paying 20 euros a night for only having a bigger room.
We found out a couple of days later that this was where the scam begins, they put people that are the least appropriate(i.e families and older people) in the tiny basement rooms and then charge them to move, even though the sister hotel is owned by the same people and they have therefore had our money already. we spoke to others who had had the same experience and they believed that the rep, Scott was also in on the scam.
We were advised by another couple that the rooms in the main building, above the basement rooms were an OK size, still basic but why should we be paying for a bigger room across the road when there were bigger rooms in the building we had paid to stay in. After discussions with Gelu the owner we were allowed to move back.
On the morning that we were leaving we were demanded to pay 250 euros for the duration of our stay in the bigger room when we told them we were not prepared to pay this as there was no air con and it was a room of a lesser standard than the room we had paid to stay in he got very angry.
We we on our way out to hand back our hire car when we noticed he was heading up to our room, where we had still not checked out, so we quickly turned the car around and saw him coming down from our room, where the cleaners were cleaning.
I was scared he would take our suitcases, I called spoke to the rep immediately who told me to pay him or he was likely to call the police and they would stop us leaving the country, as this is what he had done to others previously.
We told Gelu if we had to pay anything that we needed a receipt but he got angry and said that no receipt would be allowed and he needed cash.
This was all very scary for me, my husband and my baby to witness, we eventually agreed to pay him a sum in exchange for a hand written reciept as we were concerned as to what this man would do.
He comes across as a kind, life and soul of the party type guy when you first meet him, but I am warning you, do not get on the wrong side of him as I would be scared to think how it could have ended up.

I would definatley experience Santorini and Perivolos but avoid the Angelos studios, there are many nice hotels and studios on the island, across all price ranges and I just hope that by writing this review I can save others from experiencing what we experienced.
I chose this hotel based upon the reviews on this site, but be warned and choose wisely .

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family