“Worst Place I have Ever Had Lunch!!!”
Review of Bocconato Trattoria - CLOSED

Bocconato Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2011

$38 fotr a steak and $30 for salad and anti pasto is way to much for a lunch for one person was total $68. The food was not very good. The watiress needed to spend less time explaining what weabout to eat. Steak was stringy and cold and when I asked for a better cut of meat the staff became enraged. DO NOT EAT HERE!

2  Thank Hungrey

Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stopped in by accident but it turned out to be a divine appointment. We had been wine tasting in the area and it was time for lunch. Since there are not many places to stop for lunch, I was glad to see a place to stop. We were not familiar with the place and the "no menu" idea but we were not in a hurry so went with the flow of Chef. By the time we were done with several courses, it was clear that the more plates you ordered with each course, the more you got to experience Chef's talents. We had 4 courses but never made it to his entrees but we were so happy and full, we did not care. Although, we did order dessert, which was heavenly too. I also asked Chef to pick out a wine to go with the food he was going to serve; as I expected, the wine and food enhanced eachother. We are going back ASAP.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

I am a tough sell as I was raised by Italian parents and grandparents who know how to make the best of Italian meals ( and I have visited Italy twice) but I have to admit Giavonni takes the cake as my biggest hero. This guy is a real hardcore chef, perfecting his craft in Italy. No menu here. He cooks what he thinks you might like, so it is one surprise after another. It is beyond what can be conveyed in words as you will savor every bite that is put before you. Patience is a must since he makes everything from scratch for each table but it is worth the wait for the next course to be served. A treat like no other - JUST GO!!!

1  Thank DMHappyTravel
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We had lunch there, food was tasty, but not anything special. Paying $85 for dinner is one thing, for lunch out in the sticks is quite another. Chef made a point to greet us at the table. Owner/waitress in old jeans didn't go with prices either. She was fake friendly, the entire experience felt more like a con than anything.

1  Thank jadom6
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We have been to this restaurant quite a few times. (more than 50) We live in San Francisco and treasure every time we get to go to Bocconato. We find the food fresh, inventive, and delicious. There are things we like more then others, and though not everything is always on the menu, some of our favorites are: lamb carpaccio, any fresh pasta, melon bisque, bistecca, and for dessert, the olive oil cake or fresh gelato for the kids. Everything is good and often surprises us in its simplicity. This is a restaurant that proves that good ingredients, cooked well, is all it takes to make amazing food. We love to sit outside on a sunny day (fall is always best in Fair Play - but a sunny day in winter can be amazing too!), or sit inside for a romantic dinner at night. The service is amazing. Chef Giovanni and staff love to talk about their food and wine, which complete the experience. One special note to Tracy - the amazing waitress who on more than one occasion has gone to her car to get toys for our kids to play with! We love Bocconato and hope it is around forever!