“Fair Play Italian at its best”
Review of Bocconato Trattoria - CLOSED

Bocconato Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We have been to this restaurant quite a few times. (more than 50) We live in San Francisco and treasure every time we get to go to Bocconato. We find the food fresh, inventive, and delicious. There are things we like more then others, and though not everything is always on the menu, some of our favorites are: lamb carpaccio, any fresh pasta, melon bisque, bistecca, and for dessert, the olive oil cake or fresh gelato for the kids. Everything is good and often surprises us in its simplicity. This is a restaurant that proves that good ingredients, cooked well, is all it takes to make amazing food. We love to sit outside on a sunny day (fall is always best in Fair Play - but a sunny day in winter can be amazing too!), or sit inside for a romantic dinner at night. The service is amazing. Chef Giovanni and staff love to talk about their food and wine, which complete the experience. One special note to Tracy - the amazing waitress who on more than one occasion has gone to her car to get toys for our kids to play with! We love Bocconato and hope it is around forever!

Reviewed February 15, 2010

After reading the above reviews, my husband and I were extremely excited to find this restaurant and decided to invite two other couples for a Valentine's Day dinner. We were all so excited none of us ate lunch that day as our reservations were at 5:30. We drove the 26 miles and arrived right on time. We were seated quickly, and it went down hill from there. First let me say my husband and I LOVE good food. We have dined at many 5 star restaurants and will go out of our way to enjoy a wonderful meal if its worth it. We also don't mind paying for an expensive meal if the food and the dining experience is top notch. Let me start by saying there were two things that probably made this meal go wrong. First it was a pre-planned menu which we were NOT informed of when we called, so the content was not to the liking of two vegetarians we had at our table and the price of the meal per person was also a shocker considering the amount of food served. We were seated at 5:30, we sat for 30 minutes and then served a small amount of sparkling wine. I didn't care for it, but some at the table did. We then sat for another 30 minutes and finally our wine order was taken, that took another 15 minutes. Luckily we all were enjoying our company so we weren't really paying attention to the time. Our first course was served two hours later, during that two hours there was no bread, nothing. That surprised me for an italian restaurant, as we expected bread, salad etc. We actually requested some bread because we had drank our wine and needed some food. We received 5 small one inch pieces of bread, that was it. When the first course came it was bland and tasteless and I found myself looking for a salt shaker. It was about 1 oz of a flomato saffron. with some diced red onions and two small slivers of orange with red onion. We all inhaled it within two minutes. It then took nearly another hour to get the next course. 5 crab raviola's which lacked sauce. Mine was extremely dry and gooey although my husband thought his was ok. Another 30 minutes went by and we then received two small slices of roast pork which was quite tasty with, and I am not kidding, 3 tablespoons of cold mashed potatoes and that was it. Again, the meal was inhaled as we were starving. The waitress then came and informed us that dessert was not included in the meal as people in the past had complained that the price was too high, so to lower the price of the meal they did not include dessert. If we did want dessert it was $20 for two. Having experienced the quantity and quality of the meal, we all declined and decided to return to one couples home as she had prepared a beautiful chocolate decandant dessert. We then were given the check. Holy cow....$360 dollars. We had two bottles of wine which came to $70. Now it wasn't the fact that it was $360, it was the fact that we got NO FOOD and what we did get was bland and boring...we were still hungry and it took them 3 hours to serve us with a pre-planned menu. Needless to say we will never return or drive the 50 miles. I will say the waitress and her mother were very entertaining, the atmosphere was wonderful, but that I'm sure was attributed to the fact that we had such a good group of people to dine with. We are now off on another adventure to find that one wonderful restaurant and chef that we can't live without!

4  Thank Alisn916
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We ate here with no expectations on New Year's Day evening. The restaurant was empty but for one couple, who turned out to own the winery up the street. We sat at the bar and enjoyed getting to know Chef Giovanni, wife Sherri, and the Iversons (Iverson Winery). I have never eaten such wonderful Italian food in my entire life! My husband and I enjoy meals around the world, and this one ranked in the top 5! The tomato sauce with fresh cut pasta was sublime: fresh, rich, perfect. The ingredients come from within 10 miles of the restaurant, including the meats and eggs, fruits and vegetables.The wine list was well rounded, including Italian and El Dorado Wines. Because we loved it so much, we came back for lunch and dinner the next day! If you come during the Fall or Winter, please have the Funghi Sformato. It is perfection!

Reviewed September 8, 2009

As we were walking in to the restaurant, the chef was walking out and said "I'll be right back, I am going to pick fresh figs." We later found out that this is a husband (chef), wife(operations), and son (waiter) operation. We started with an appetizer of salami, parmesan reggiano, toasted bread drizzled with olive oil & of course fresh figs. Then, we had a salad with types of local lettuce that I had never had before. Delicious! For our entree, we had a pork that was pounded out then breaded and pan fried served with lemon wedges. To die for!!!!! We finished off with fig & watermelon sorbet for dessert.

The chef came out to greet us during dinner and said he uses mostly local produce and likes to cater his menu to whatever fresh he can find. I love that idea!

The next day for lunch we had a grilled apple with provolone on a rosemary skewer drizzled with olive oil, salt, & pepper for an appetizer. I want to make these at home they were so good. We had a caprese salad as well that was made with local tomatoes. I didn't know tomatoes could taste that good. For our entree we had the lamb- delicious!

It turns out that aren't normally open for lunch, but were for Labor Day! Thank goodness because I had to have it one more time before I left town. We will definetly be back many times.

I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed August 3, 2009

I reside in El Dorado County and have driven by Bocconato Trattoria on several occasions. I finally stopped in for dinner and was amazed at the quality of the gourmet food, the customer service and the Chef, who comes out and greets guests. The Chef even offered that upon my next visit that I could chose to have him create a meal of his choice for my dining pleasure. Besides very delicious food, the restaurant serves many El Dorado County wines. Stopping at Bocconato Trattoria is a must when visiting the El Dorado and Amador County wine country. You will definitely want to visit the restaurant again.