“BEST ROAST DUCK EVER!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Lovely bistro with open windows all around overlooking the very port of La Rocque!! Very friendly helpful staff - very reasonable prices for France Dordogne specialties. They also make their own glaces!! Best roast duck! Excellent cassoulet! Also have rooms to let - plain & clean & spacious with million dollar views. Can't understand these other poor reviews as we had 3-4 meals there and can't say enough good about the experiences. Also have dining on patio. Wait staff treated us just like family.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We just ate here and had a perfectly pleasant experience. After reading some of the other reviews it seems as if we ate in a completely different restaurant!? We do like French country food so perhaps chose differently from the menu. We also do our best to use our hesitant French when speaking to staff and when ordering from the menu.
All part of the experience for us.
We did however, for whatever reason, have a different experience from the overwhelming majority of those posting reviews for this restaurant.
When we ate out on the terrace, on a warm mid September evening, the ambience was good, the staff proved friendly and helpful and the food was just fine. Really, just fine. Certainly not the best we had over the course of our trip but it was nevertheless, tasty and reasonably presented. As I ponder what we ate I do realise we picked from the plat du jour choices - mine for dessert and my partner's as a main course. Perhaps that was our good luck?! I ate duck with accompanying vegetables as a plat and chose a 'dessert du jour', of a very acceptable tarte aux pommes. My partner had the fish plat du jour as a main course, - which he said was tasty and looked perfectly well cooked - followed by a selection of local cheeses. Also tasty and good. That selection did include goat's cheese and tangy other choices though.
I am sure the Michelin selected restaurant further down the riverside would have been a greater gastronomic experience but this one provided us with a perfectly acceptable meal, with reasonable wine, in the pleasant surroundings of a terrace overlooking the Dordogne and the staff were friendly and helpful to us. What more can I say ......?!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Service patronising and very unfriendly. Food, disgusting and unpalatable. We live in France and have been eating in restaurants, of all kinds on a weekly basis for many years and we have to say that this was the worst meal, by far, that we have ever eaten! In retrospect, we know we should have left soon after arriving, but I think we just hoped things would improve - how wrong we were! We went back to our hotel for a stiff brandy!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Auberge des Platanes is a terrible restaurant. The location is very fine, but this is a real touristtrap. Our waiter was very very very onfriendly. Combine very bad service with terrible food and that's our definition of Auberge des Platanes. We will never go back here!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We should have known something was wrong, arriving at a restaurant in such a great location and finding it almost empty! The position is great with an upstairs terrace looking over the river, however this is not matched by the food! My entrecôte steak was tasty enough but the broccoli and potatoes were overcooked and soggy. My wife's chefs salad was worse, a mass of greasy duck livers and bacon bits on an over salted salad - even I didn't want to finish this off! Ice creams were good, but not much cooking involved in those!