“Excellent Value for Traditional Dishes”
Review of Le Palmier

Le Palmier
Reviewed July 10, 2014

When we travel we seek out restaurants serving local cuisine. Le Palmier was a pleasant surprise in that it offered French specialties at reasonable prices. We tried it for dinner and were especially pleased with the grilled duck breast, and chicken salad, which admittedly is not a classic of French cuisine, but good in taste as well as portion. We remarked to one another that the portions were very generous. The next day when my husband and nephew went for a canoe ride, we decided to meet back at Le Palmier for lunch. Knowing I had a long wait, I opted for a main course of foie gras served with a sweet and tart raisin chutney. After one forkful I didn't care how much time they took to meet up at the restaurant, I was busy savoring each morsel. It was hard to believe the low price of 13.50 euro.

When my traveling companions arrived, I was halfway into a dessert of fruit sorbets made from apricots and red currants. After they ordered their lunch, they shared another bowl of ice cream in salted caramel and pine nut flavors. All were equally delicious. The kitchen was closed by the time they arrived, so they ordered sandwiches. The tuna, along with the ham and cheese baguettes were fresh, inexpensive and satisfying, But I believe the clear winners for my canoe enthusiasts were the beers. The Belgian Leffe was a hit, but even more so was the Pelforth Brune, since they had not yet tried a French beer. It compares favorably with any Belgian beer.

Pizza from a French restaurant in the heart of the Dordogne? Unless it's covered in foie gras, it shouldn't even be on the menu. I once overheard a tourist complaining about not being able to find a hot dog in Italy. We've rarely been disappointed with local specialties. We're returning to La Roque in September and will definitely go back to Le Palmier.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Called here at lunchtime & shared a pizza which was fine. Had gone to Domme later in our holiday for dinner only to find the restaurant we wanted was closed that night so decided to call here for dinner - big mistake!
Didn't really expect anything fancy but the omelette I decided on was swimming in it's own egg juice whilst my wife's pizza was a bit rubbery. The worst part though were the chips which were frozen, soggy and the worst we have ever had in France (we don't normally eat chips but know what a good one should taste like!)
There are much better places available so give this one a miss.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a meal there last night and although the service was fast and the waiter spoke good English, we found the pizza didn't live up to our expectations. Too much salty cheese made it almost inedible - nice thin crust was about the only thing going for it!

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

It must be doing something right as we've eaten there twice this holiday. First night we sat up on the balcony terrace and second time over the road by the river. Food was great, my 4 year old loved his spaghetti carbonara, I had the most fabulous Roqufort burger and husband enjoyed the omelette and pizza he had. It was good value for money and the waitress was very smiley which made a change!! Great place for families.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great choice for families, we had a great outside table upstairs (they had some across the road I didn't fancy).

Great views of the river but come in the evening.

Very quick service as they concentrate on fewer mains...ours came in 10 minutes. Very nice ice creams (our sons eyes popped out when they came) and very reasonable prices.
We had spent 10 minutes being ignored by a waiter at the restaurant next door before deciding to leave...glad we came here.
The bill is electronic, you go down stairs and tell the batman your number to pay.