“not in kansas anymore”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wallace
Northbrook, Illinois
“not in kansas anymore”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wow, once you enter the gates it is a different world.
If you are a golfer the course is beautiful and extremely well maintained. It was in perfect condition when we visiting in August. It is a challenging ocean course with difficult greens. We did not play the Par 3 course which looked interesting.
Our accommodations were gorgeous with a huge bedroom and exquisite bathroom (heated granite floors). The robes were fantastic and not your usual cotton type. The kitchen was stocked with your usual glassware although we could have used a few plates for appetizers while sitting on our big porch enjoying the water/course view.
I didn't go into the Spa because we were there to golf, but we met a bride and groom on the course as they were heading to the bluff for a picture and she was raving about how well she was treated in the spa and how luxurious the treatment was she received.
The dining room was very nice, and the food was good. They have a huge deck of the dining room but when we went to have a glass of wine there it was as if we were causing trouble for the. It is a nice space looking out towards the water so I don't know why it was a problem.
Like other visitors, this resort is in the middle of nowhere and is not inexpensive. if you don't golf or shoot then there isn't anything else that I noticed in the area.
We were there on a Stay and Play Golf package which apparently included breakfast, but upon check in we were never told/reminded of the breakfast or where it was served so I can not comment on that.
I have to add that my husband left a club on the course which was returned and also sent to us asap back in the states. We thank you for that as when our caddie lost my sand wedge at Sea Island they never did anything.
We also enjoyed the excitement of watching a private jet land while golfing as the airstrip is off the first hole. I wish I knew who was on that plane!

Room Tip: no elevator to the upstairs, but you have a porch. We had steps down to the course from the patio wh...
2 Thank ebes59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was our second trip to Fox Harbour. It surpassed the first. All of the staff were friendly, gracious, helpful, and treated us like no request was the slightest bit of trouble. The service in the dining room was significantly better than our previous stay 3 years ago, so I can definitely say that the service was on par with the food. Very good menu and an exceptional wine list in all price ranges.

Our room was perfect -- well stocked, immaculately kept, and comfortable.

The golf course was in great shape and even though we were called in because of some thunder and lightning in the area, we were able to get back out and finish our rounds promptly and the staff kept us updated frequently during the delay. Questions that we had regarding rain checks were answered promptly and although we didn't end up needing a rain check, we were very pleased that the facility would have treated us very fairly in the event that we were rained out.

This is a big splurge price wise. It is in "the middle of nowhere". There isn't anything pretentious about the place, but it is an expensive resort with high end amenities, food, and facilities. For those who love golf (or the spa) it is a great way to relax.

Don't go if you have to watch every penny. Don't go if you like hustle and bustle. Don't go if you think there will be lots of stuff to do offsite -- it's rural Nova Scotia.

I don't think that it would be suitable for young children, and older ones might get bored. I think this is adults only -- couples, or golf fanatics.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We did not stay at the resort, we were just passing through Nova Scotia and my husband wanted to stop by and try the 5 Stand Shooting Lesson and the Sporting Clay Course. I never having shot before decided to join him and give it a try. It was the highlight of our vacation! The lodge was beautiful, equipped with everything you needed. Our instructor was very informative and made the morning fantastic! The course itself was superb! We were given the time to try what we wanted and with a little coaching even managed to hit more clays then I was ever expecting! We are already planning our next visit!

1 Thank Cord B
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A couple of observations and one caveat. There are 31 reviews on this place and 22 rate it excellent. Only one rates it average. Almost every reviewer is a seasoned traveler with multiple reviews on TripAdvisor. The caveat. I'm not a golfer. I was just here for business. Fox Harb'r is impressive and I get why it would get such rave reviews. You drive to what seems the middle of nowhere and go through a big beautiful gated entrance into a perfectly manicured park like setting. As I said, I don't golf but the rolling lawns and vistas were enough to make me want to learn (almost). The room was like a condo with a small porch where you could walk right out on to the greens. The view from the room looked pretty much like the photos in the overview above. The room itself was modern and nicely furnished. The air conditioning was too enthusiastic and I couldn't get the tv to work but the shower was great.

We had dinner in the clubhouse. Good food, nice service and a large lodge like feel. BTW, we pretty much had the run of the place. Either it is so big you don't notice others or there weren't many guests. Of course, it isn't an inexpensive place to stay....

Anyway, a lot of money has been spent in the relatively recent past to create a very upscale golf retreat in a remote spot. It's all very new feeling - kind of like parts of Hawaii or maybe a Vail sort of experience. The vistas are beautiful and Nova Scotia is a real gem. Fox Harb'r is not for me (don't golf and I like older places) but I can see how my fellow travellers (particularly golfers) could be so enthusiastic.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TravellingColoradans
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Remote and very quiet resort with a beautiful golf course. Felt like we were one of the only guests. Didn't need to make tee times and spa appointments in advance. Staff was very attentive. Also had a great par 3 golf course overlooking the strait. Beach area very small and disappears during high tide. Food good. Will definitely return

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank skatermom59
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just returned home from 2 1/2 weeks touring the Canadian Maritimes. This is one of the nicest resorts I every been to. Beautiful townhouse style suites 18 hole and 9 hole golf course excellent condition and beautiful. Indoor pool, Spa, 2 restaurants. I a little dressy, 1 more casual. Great food. The grounds are great. overlooking the water. Runway for private planes, Marina, shooting range. Great experience.

1 Thank Jrobb3030
Boca Raton
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I am just packing my bags after spending four nights at fox harbor. Staying at this resort was a fabulous experience. We had a king suite which was beautiful, well appointed and overlooked the golf course and the bay. The grounds are breathtaking and the golf course is stunning. The golf course is immaculate and the monuments on each tee box are pieces of art. The fairways are lush, the traps are well groomed and the greens are perfect. The front 9 plays through the woods and the back nine plays along the water providing beautiful vistas. There is such attention to detail and no amenity has been spared. The staff from the reception desk, to the dining room to the golf and pro shop to housekeeping are all smiling and there to help you. If you have the opportunity, a stay at this resort is a must. We had an amazing time here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank JN302
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallace
Train Station Inn
#1 of 3 in River John
No photo provided
Dolan's Inn & Suites
#4 of 6 in Tatamagouche

Been to Fox Harb'r Resort? Share your experiences!