“Not worth the price and lack of security to your room while you are out”

Hotel Alpenhof Postillion
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kochel am See
scudman
“Not worth the price and lack of security to your room while you are out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I took my family to this hotel on a recent 4 day weekend ski trip. We liked the town as it is a 30 minute drive to the ski resorts in Mittenwald, the scenery is beautiful, and there is a wonderful Italian Restaurant there "La Pineta". During Fasching German Holiday week, a 30 minute drive to the ski slopes seemed reasonable. We had no problems with cleanliness, size of the room, or hotel parking.

Our reason for a poor review is for two reasons. 1- Our room was left open for an entire day by housekeeping. Fortunately no valuables were stolen, but when you don't have trust or security, what do you have? The hotel staff acted somewhat concerned, but offered nothing to make us want to come back such as a minor discount for our stay or a future visit. 2- It is extremely overpriced in comparison with other similar hotels in the area

We will not be returning to this hotel and I cannot recommend it for the reasons cited above.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank scudman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

When we checked in we were given a room which stunk of cigarette smoke. It is a smoke-free hotel. OK, blame it on the misbehavior of a previous guest, but why did it take another guest to point out the problem? Well, they quickly gave us another room.
The next morning we went to breakfast. It was very good; just what you would expect from an expensive hotel. When we went back to our room, housekeeping had not gotten there yet. No problem, breakfast was still being served. When we returned that evening, housekeeping had gone home. Our room was untouched.
When I booked this room on Booking.com, a message popped up suggesting that I take the hotel parking for 8 Euro a day, lest I could find no safe place to park the car. I thought that strange since Kochel is a small town, but I took the option. However, each day I found plenty of safe parking, much of it closer than the hotel’s ‘secure’ parking. I asked at the desk about getting the parking refunded. They said that booking.com was responsible for the booking prices and that only booking.com could that change it. I contacted booking.com and they said it was the hotel’s decision and cheerfully promised to take it up with them. The answer from booking.com came quickly – the hotel said, “NO.” I continued to use the free, more convenient, partially covered parking, but I still felt screwed by both companies. I complained again at check-out. Ultimately, the manager credited me 12 Euro. It was better than nothing, but still not what I expected.
Here are some other observations:
Pros:
• Staff was friendly and helpful when not being asked to refund money
• Superior breakfast quality and selection, but with only average breads
• The high-speed internet is free, but it is unsecured (which makes it easy for hackers to invade your computer).
• The pool is free (even if none of the massaging nozzles work)
• The advertised massages are offered a few houses down the block by a private person.
Cons:
• Spartan bathrooms – old worn towels (not always); cheap liquid soap; no shampoo, lotions or conditioner; old-fashioned bath and shower
• Other bathroom problems: ventilation hardly works; the bathtub takes several minutes to empty after taking a short shower; brown water often flows from the hot water taps
• Price tags were on water, snacks, etc., thing that many better hotels give free or, when they charge, they do so in a less obnoxious way.
• Inadequate lighting in room, (bring your own light bulbs, or do not read)
• Housekeeping did not do a very good job, especially when cleaning the bathroom (the tub was dirty each day). The cheap liquid soap ran out. Our drinking glasses were never cleaned. (Perhaps I should not complain; it is possible that they hire the blind.)
• Swimming pool is in need of renovation or at least a good cleaning to get rid of the mold. Based on another review, I wonder if they only clean it in the summer.
If the Hotel Alpenhof Postillion charged under 80 Euro a night for a double room with free parking, I might rate it higher, but at the prices charged, I cannot recommend it at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DonPaulo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

We were visiting Bavaria in early September and had the enjoyment of spending a few nights at the Hotel Postillion. The staff were extremely attentive and friendly, the food very nice and rooms completely enjoyable. It's a great location to visit much of Bavaria and wonderful to be close to the Franz Marc museum.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SFJF_98
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

I had a most excellent stay at the Hotel Alpenhof Postillion. Herr Suttner and his staff were exceptionally warm, friendly and accommodating- the epitome of graciousness! Looking forward to spending time there again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
#1 of 5 in Murnau
Gasthof-Hotel Waltraud
Gasthof-Hotel Waltraud
#5 of 8 in Kochel am See

Been to Hotel Alpenhof Postillion? Share your experiences!