“A Tale of Two Hotels”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Kochel am See
Richmond, Virginia
“A Tale of Two Hotels”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

When we checked in we were given a room which stunk of cigarette smoke. It is a smoke-free hotel. OK, blame it on the misbehavior of a previous guest, but why did it take another guest to point out the problem? Well, they quickly gave us another room.
The next morning we went to breakfast. It was very good; just what you would expect from an expensive hotel. When we went back to our room, housekeeping had not gotten there yet. No problem, breakfast was still being served. When we returned that evening, housekeeping had gone home. Our room was untouched.
When I booked this room on Booking.com, a message popped up suggesting that I take the hotel parking for 8 Euro a day, lest I could find no safe place to park the car. I thought that strange since Kochel is a small town, but I took the option. However, each day I found plenty of safe parking, much of it closer than the hotel’s ‘secure’ parking. I asked at the desk about getting the parking refunded. They said that booking.com was responsible for the booking prices and that only booking.com could that change it. I contacted booking.com and they said it was the hotel’s decision and cheerfully promised to take it up with them. The answer from booking.com came quickly – the hotel said, “NO.” I continued to use the free, more convenient, partially covered parking, but I still felt screwed by both companies. I complained again at check-out. Ultimately, the manager credited me 12 Euro. It was better than nothing, but still not what I expected.
Here are some other observations:
Pros:
• Staff was friendly and helpful when not being asked to refund money
• Superior breakfast quality and selection, but with only average breads
• The high-speed internet is free, but it is unsecured (which makes it easy for hackers to invade your computer).
• The pool is free (even if none of the massaging nozzles work)
• The advertised massages are offered a few houses down the block by a private person.
Cons:
• Spartan bathrooms – old worn towels (not always); cheap liquid soap; no shampoo, lotions or conditioner; old-fashioned bath and shower
• Other bathroom problems: ventilation hardly works; the bathtub takes several minutes to empty after taking a short shower; brown water often flows from the hot water taps
• Price tags were on water, snacks, etc., thing that many better hotels give free or, when they charge, they do so in a less obnoxious way.
• Inadequate lighting in room, (bring your own light bulbs, or do not read)
• Housekeeping did not do a very good job, especially when cleaning the bathroom (the tub was dirty each day). The cheap liquid soap ran out. Our drinking glasses were never cleaned. (Perhaps I should not complain; it is possible that they hire the blind.)
• Swimming pool is in need of renovation or at least a good cleaning to get rid of the mold. Based on another review, I wonder if they only clean it in the summer.
If the Hotel Alpenhof Postillion charged under 80 Euro a night for a double room with free parking, I might rate it higher, but at the prices charged, I cannot recommend it at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DonPaulo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We were visiting Bavaria in early September and had the enjoyment of spending a few nights at the Hotel Postillion. The staff were extremely attentive and friendly, the food very nice and rooms completely enjoyable. It's a great location to visit much of Bavaria and wonderful to be close to the Franz Marc museum.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SFJF_98
Oakland, California
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I had a most excellent stay at the Hotel Alpenhof Postillion. Herr Suttner and his staff were exceptionally warm, friendly and accommodating- the epitome of graciousness! Looking forward to spending time there again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
#1 of 1 in Schlehdorf
Gastehaus Egner
Gastehaus Egner
#8 of 8 in Kochel am See

Been to Hotel Alpenhof Postillion? Share your experiences!