“great getaway”

Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Barnsdale
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great location plenty of attractions in the area including Oakham and Uppingham village. good food with breakfast being first class, the evening menu a little unimaganative and quite expensive for basic food and a relaxed place to stay. the staff are friendly and helpful and the whole complex is clean and tidy. highly recomended

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've stayed at Barnsdale Hall twice in March, the first time I'd spent £25 on a Wowcher Spa deal, I was that impressed that I booked to return 2 weeks later with my husband and what a difference!!!
The rooms on both occasions were stunning if a little tired, nothing major but both rooms very clean. Considering the difference in price (£95 per room for this Monday 25/03) the comparison in service was shocking. The beauty facilities aren't available on a Monday and while the food is very nice, we had a wait of 45 minutes for afternoon tea after ordering, other people's toast was served at breakfast despite them being sat down after us and as much as I would recommend the floatation therapy I had booked, there was also a 30+ minute delay. I would imagine the difference in service may depend on the day you stay which is disappointing for a quality establishment.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Angela W
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Me and my partner went to Barnsdale hall end of February this year for two nights, it was a gift from my parents. We arrived and it was a stunning location, we booked into a standard double and it was lovely, but me and my partner decided to upgrade, reception was able to find us a superior room which had the view of Rutland water, it was beautiful. Good decision. We stayed there for one night but then had to check out as other people were in there that night so we had a deluxe room. Again that was beautiful as it was the view of the gardens. The place was very clean and service was brill. The only thing that let this place down was the breakfast, both mornings we missed out as it was cold or certain bits of food was missing and it was buffet style. When we checked out we did mention that we was very unhappy as both days we missed out on breakfast, this was sorted out with a refund of £8.40 which I wasn't happy with. I made a phone call regarding this and they refunded me another £11.60 refund. We did use the spa and it was ok, there was to jacuzzis but only one was working and it was Luke warm. Over all we did have a pleasant stay bit would of been nice if these things didn't let us down as it was a gift. We will revisit to give it another chance, hopefully it will be better than our last visit.

Room Tip: Would definately recommend the superior room overlooking Rutland water, was stunning.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hinckleygal81
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Barnsdale Hall Hotel on 15th March on a Wowcher deal. The welcome was friendly and our room was superb (we had upgraded to a superior room) with a balcony looking towards the reservoir. The standard of fittings was very high and the room was spotlessly clean. The evening meal was a bit of a disappointment. The menu in the brassiere was uninspiring and whilst the food was cooked and presented ok it was a tad expensive for what it was. That said the staff were great, very friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble. Breakfast was buffet style but brought out in smallish quantities so was not dry and was actually very good. Whilst we did not try the spa facilities they looked to be of a very high standard. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed Barnsdale Hall hotel and would like to return. It was touch and go whether to award 5 stars because the accommodation was so good but the evening meal is an important part of a stay and as stated was a bit of a let down.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had a great stay - 3 of us, my wife, 14 year old son & I. A lovely setting right on the edge of Rutland Water. We had a tripple room in one of the annexes. I had a very relaxing Swedish massage in the Spa and enjoyed the use of the pool, sauna and steam room. A full breakfast - great that they include black pudding amongst the offerings - gave us everything we needed to set us up for a day's activity.

Went into Stamford for dinner, a charming place.

We'll come back in the summer to see the ospreys.

Room Tip: Try and get a view over the lake.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mattat320
Reviewed March 11, 2013

A party of us stayed here on 1st and 2nd March 2013 and had a fantastic weekend. Our rooms in the Oakham Hotel were perfect and the views of Rutland Water were stunning. The rooms were very large and very clean, also modern and up-to-date. The facilities at the hotel and the proximity to Rutland Water made it perfect for a group of friends with children. The system for swimming, which required going up and downstairs several times, wasn't great and should be changed if possible but everything else facility-wise was marvellous. The food was excellent and the service, although a little slow on 1st March, was otherwise excellent. The only issue we had was with some noisy wedding guests having a party in the room next door at 4am but this was quickly dealt with by reception. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and we shall be returning soon!

Room Tip: The rooms in the Oakham hotel have stunning views of Rutland water
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adeje2009
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Really enjoyed our 2 course lunch here. I purchased a Wowcher voucher for a 2 course lunch with champagne and was not disappointed . My husband & I went last Saturday ( 2nd March) , the location was lovely and so was the weather ! It was quite busy when we arrived and did feel the service was slow . We were booked in for 1pm and it was 1.20 before we were shown to our table.The staff were very friendly & the food (and champagne ) was delicious. After lunch we took a stroll around the grounds of this lovely hotel overlooking Rutland water and we thought it an idyllic setting . We would certainly consider returning for an overnight stay. The only concern I had was that I bought the voucher advertised at £23.50 for 2 course lunch + glass of champagne for two -and supposedly worth £46.50...but we were given the usual lunchtime menu which was priced at £12.50 per person anyway ....so really we only got the champagne free ...I was confused as to where the great deal came from as we could have booked it direct for £25.00 . Nevertheless we had a lovely lunch & thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsdale
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Greetham
The Falcon Hotel
The Falcon Hotel
#2 of 3 in Uppingham

Been to Barnsdale Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!