“we will stay here again- only because of the close proximity to the Kee”
Review of Bala Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bala
Bala Bay Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bala
toronto
“we will stay here again- only because of the close proximity to the Kee”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and i stayed at the Bala Bay Inn on Sept 3. We had tickets to see a concert at the Kee and this place is so convenient to stay in- that is why they charge you a small fortune- almost $200.00 a night. I have read other reviews that customer service is lacking- I would agree, the front desk host was abrupt and kind of rude to us.

The main floor looks nice, the lounge area is painted in funky colours and the dining room- where they host wedding dinners- looks bright and cheery- but the nice atmosphere ends there.

The halls are dark and smelly- the rooms are super small- although we stayed in a room this time that was slightly larger, at the end of the hall, with a small closet and the washroom even had a window! (What luxuries!!) The rooms smell damp and gross- there is a large, loud, AC unit with a container that you have to constantly empty, or it shuts off. The ceiling tiles are stained- many need to be replaced.

The good things about this hotel are the beds and pillows are super comfortable- and the bedding was very clean. The drinks and food in the bar/ patio are very good as well.

we will stay here again next summer, only because of the close proximity to the Kee to Bala- we would not make a trip just for this place

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank d-ray-toronto
Bala-Bay-Inn, Manager at Bala Bay Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the décor in the lobby, the comfort of the beds and the meals in our restaurant. The food at the hotel we do consider to be our greatest quality. We were however disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations and apologize for your feeling of disappointment with the size of the hotel rooms. We face many challenges with the hotel being very old, and we are working everyday to eliminate all of those concerns for you. We appreciate your feedback, as it will help us with our focus on areas for improvement and continuous renovations. Your customer service experience was not what we expect from our staff, and we have addressed it with the desk personal. We hope to see you again in the 2012 season, and allow us the opportunity to provide you and your husband with the service standard that we do expect from our staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Gravenhurst, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife and I booked a room for one queen and one single bed for our friend who was driving to meet us there. Well our room only had the queen. We asked for clarrification and they moved in a cot which they had the audacity to charge us for even though they messed up. Their reasoning for charging us for the cot is that "they heard that the cot is just like the single bed" This place was pure bush league amature hour.
The hallway on the third floor smelled like somebody was cooking a goat. The AC is so loud you can't hear somebody in the same room speak to you. The tv's dont have a remote. Ive stayed at $40 a night motels that had more services and could actualy book a room you requested. $200 wasted.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Darcy Y
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My family and I have been touring the Muskoka area and had stayed at Cleveland's house for four nights and then 2 nights at the Bala Bay Inn. I was taken a back at some of the reviews that were posted because we only have good things to say about our experience at the Inn!
The food was wonderful, definitely the best food we have come across in Muskoka so far. The rooms remind me of a cute room in New York. It is the perfect size and there are larger sizes available as we saw a few rooms before we picked our own. The pillows and beds are unbelievably comfortable, slept right through my alarm!
The service was so accommodating. The front desk girls were always there providing us with whatever we needed!
I definitely recommend this Inn if you are in the Muskoka area and need a great place to stay for a weekend or during the week.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this place !

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Stephanie R
Dear Stephanie

We were very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in August 2011. We hope to see you again in the 2012 season. Warm regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen in my life anywhere, and I paid almost $200 A NIGHT. Obviously the owners jack up the price when a good band is in town. Will never stay here again ever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank avidtraveller022
kitchener
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I celebrated my wedding at the Bala Bay Inn July 23 2011. I wanted to post a review for the event as during my researching I was not able to find too many reviews for the resort. It will be point form so please contact me if you have any questions.
Once we decided to book at the Inn we also decided we wanted to to be a weekend experience. We live 3 hrs away so we wanted everyone to make the trip up for the weekend and enjoy everything Bala has to offer. The hotel is situated on the main road through Bala, with everything being within walking distance. The hotel offers a private area across the street on the water and also their is a dock across the street that we utilized all weekend for swimming and relaxing.
The preparations for the wedding are done through the hotel supplied wedding planner/organizer. This was included in the price of the wedding package.Tania the planner, was fantastic. Un-countable emails were exchanged between us during the months leading up to the wedding. All my questions were answered promptly and suggestions were given on how to make my event even more memorable.
There are two park options that the hotel suggests for the ceremony and we took advantage of the Windsor Park location. It was right on the water.
The night before the wedding we took advantage of the bonfire option that is held across the street. For a fee they set up chairs supply wood and get the fire going. We had our "rehersal dinner" with pizza and desserts and then the campfire for the guests to enjoy til much later in the night.
The next morning our wedding took place at Windsor park where the staff set up the chairs and anything else we required.
The reception was amazing. We received many,many compliments on choice of venue as the food was amazing. The best many have ever had at a wedding.
Everyone at this Inn was very helpful and happy to be of any and all service. I highly recommend this Inn as a place for your wedding and am very happy to answer any questions you send me!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank thaniacrew
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed experience about your stay with us in July 2011. We are very happy that we could enhance your special day and that your guest had a wonderful experience at your wedding, and we hope you come and visit us again in the 2012 season. All the best in the New Year!
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We checked in Saturday afternoon, went to a concert at the Kee and when we returned to go to our rooms we were expected to get into a single file line while the hotel employee doubled checked that each of us had checked in earlier that day before letting us climb the stairs to our room. One at a time like checking your ticket to get into a concert. I don't understand what the point of this procedure was. I've never been to a hotel where they re-check you in at the end of the night after they have already checked you in earlier and paid in full. Is this their way of checking up on us?. What if I met someone and wanted to offer them a drink after the concert up in my room? Is this not allowed at the Bala Bay Inn? Is this any business of the Bala Bay Inn? I don't think so. When co-operation with the hotel employee failed, the cops were called and random people were taken to another room at the Bracebridge police detatchment, where the rooms and hospitality may or may not have been on par or better than the Bala Bay Inn's. I don't think I could have put it any better than "one of the most bizzare experiences" review. He nailed it right on the money. One of our rooms had no electricity or phone. We brought this up to the hotel staff and they said they would look into it. No apologies or sense of urgency was offered. This hotel is way off my radar for next time I stay in Bala. I recommend staying at a cottage, Port Carling, Gravenhurst..Anywhere but here!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Deanoraider
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have been coming to Bala for many years now. Over the last few years I have not been very happy with the service I received.

The rooms have had a bit of an up grade since I started staying there back in 2000. But I have to say I enjoyed my stay there way better years ago, then my last few visits. The Staff can be nice, but the service SUCKS, I have worked in hospitality for many years and it makes me sick when I pay lots of money for food and drinks and I have to go looking for service for everything I need. Then waiting for ever. It's not like it was crazy busy and even when it was busy it still did not matter. The price of food has gone way up and the quality way down. It used to feel very good going in there back in the day. I have taken my friends and business else where and even decided not to bother going to Bala because it is just not worth it. big shame

Room Tip: bring a DD and stay in Gravenhurst