“Tranquila”
Review of Casa Tranquila

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bucerias
Casa Tranquila
Ranked #2 of 15 Bucerias B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed at Casa Tranquila recently and had an incredibly comfortable stay. The staff, the location, the pool, and THE BOOKSTORE made my stay delightful. The location is great. It is close to the beach, to the buses, to good restaurants, art galleries, body work spas, and especially the original plaza of Bucerias. The bookstore with all those walls of summer reads was heaven - books by the pool, yes, yes, yes!!!! And the coffee, which is locally grown and roasted, is wonderful.
It was hot and humid - but I knew that was part of the journey when one visits in the summer. And there is a lovely patio with tables as well as pool side chairs and lounges for sitting in the heat of the day. And I was in one of the un-airconditioned rooms! I had fans and cross-ventilation. I also sat outside on the lovely balcony when it was hot.
The staff was so helpful and so welcoming. I can't imagine being better cared for. Joann and Patricia are extremely welcoming and have a long history with the community. Pati and Lucida were kind and and caring also.
I had great excursions - snorkeling, sightseeing, museums. I enjoy taking the local buses, and the taxis were cheap on those days when I'd had too many early morning libations. Puerto Vallarta is close enough for a day-evening trip and far enough away to avoid the intense commercialism. Las Islas Marietas are also a great day trip - with water that makes you feel like you're flying rather than swimming.
I have recommended Casa Tranquila to friends. I recommend it to anyone who reads this also.
Bienvenido!

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have the breeze and those by the pool have air-conditioning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank joanajk

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I visited Casa Tranquila in June for 12 days. The rooms were pleasant, the gardens were beautiful, and the pool offered a great break from the heat. I shared a suite with a friend,making it even more affordable. If you are looking for an affordable, homey, and friendly place to stay in Bucerias, Casa Tranquila should be right for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Grace M
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We needed a place to stay for 2 nights in between staying at our friends Condo and staying at our time share in Puerto Vallarta. I am a researcher when I travel, I spend hours and days planning trips so after doing my requisite searching Casa Tranquila was a great price and a block from our friend’s condo. My friend even called the owners and spoke with them. I contacted them the next day and made the reservation for the 4 of us (me, my husband and our two boys) and paid one nights deposit.
Now for $55 I don't expect much. Casa Tranquila is definitely a beautiful setting, the gardens are really phenomenal and the pool nice. But you don't sleep in the garden or in the pool, or should you.... Now, we arrived and met Pat, one of the owners. She gave us the spiel about locking the gate, gave us keys, etc. and then asked us if we wanted to pay for the next night now. We did. First mistake. Be sure to read the Cancellation Policy on their website. It gives an indication to the character of the owners. 2nd mistake.
We went up to our room and then Pat turned and looked confused at us, and said well this room won’t sleep 4. We’ll have to put you in Gringo. I said, Gringo is the one we booked. She said well the maid hasn’t cleaned it up yet, it’s clean it just needs a touch up. Well we said we’ll just leave our luggage and come back later. She also mentioned a group of ladies were coming in and would fill the lower level rooms. The first glance at the room looked like it would be fine, the boys on a futon in one room and us in the other room. I did notice 2 fans though, "Great," I thought, "as these rooms have no air conditioning and it has been incredibly hot and humid."
Off we went and returned at about 10 pm. It was so hot and humid in the rooms we had the window open and the fans on full blast to no avail. I got up at 2 am and positioned the fan on some blankets so that it would blow directly on us. My husband also got up and got in the shower to cool off. When you blow hot humid air around it doesn’t really cool. We laid there for another hour and decided that was it for sleep. We watched a movie until 5 am, booked a hotel room and packed up. Woke up the kids and went downstairs, it was 7 am and we swam thankfully in the pool. I think we were the only ones in the whole place. The kids said they slept poorly as well. We thought since we were leaving and would be asking for a refund of the money we had just paid cash in the night before that we would spend some money in the attached café. We ordered 4 smoothies and breakfast pastries. We saw Joann, the other owner, and told her that we barely slept and could not stay another night. She said she would get Patricia. The pastries were good, pricy for Mexico, but the smoothies were awful, they tasted like sour milk was used to make them, we didn’t complain and chocked them down as we knew getting a refund might be an issue. 3rd mistake. We figured though that we did just pay cash the night before for the 2nd night it shouldn’t be a problem to get at least a portion back. 4th judgement error.
Patricia came down and we told her we were sorry but we just could not stay another night and we had booked our time share for an extra night. We were just not used to the humidity and heat after staying a week in an air-conditioned condo. There was nothing we could do to get cool and comfortable. She spoke to us for about 5 minutes. It was a very disjointed conversation, confusing at times and just plain strange (see Cancellation Policy). One of the things she said that was relevant to our situation was we could have come and slept outside on one of the deck chairs or swam in the pool, she even said clothing was optional. I’m on vacation; I want to sleep well and comfortably. I don’t want to skinny dip in your pool and sleep outside.
So…we did not receive a refund, actually there was no discussion about it, just we don’t give refunds. So not only did we not sleep and were out $110 to Casa Tranquila and $120 for a new hotel, but as you know when you don’t sleep it ruins the next day, your exhausted, unmotivated, grumpy. When you are on vacation a ruined day really leaves a bad taste in your mouth, like a rotten smoothie.
So my advice if you really must stay at Casa Tranquila: adults only; only stay in an air conditioned room; don’t expect too much; don’t order the smoothies; don’t pay in advance or better yet…. don’t stay at all. I don’t like attitude, I like customer service.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, only choose an air-conditioned room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank OrganicMcD
CasaTranquilaMexico, Owner at Casa Tranquila, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Casa Tranquila. We understand our hotelito is not for everyone. Sometimes we find that people who are accustomed air-conditioning in closed condos or resorts have a difficult time adjusting to relying on open windows and air-flow to keep comfortable. We are sorry that one of our air-conditioned rooms was not available for your stay.

We are glad you did enjoy our gardens. We work hard to maintain a beautiful setting to allow people to get the most of their days, relaxing pool-side.

A note about our smoothies- we make them with frozen fruit, milk, and plain yoghurt. Perhaps you are used to the more commercially available sweet smoothies? We pried ourselves on using the finest natural ingredients, and our repeat customers tell us that we are hitting the mark.

It is regrettable that you did not familiarize yourself with our refund policies while researching & planning your stay, we are quite upfront about it. As a small hotel, we just can't absorb the cost of cancellations.

We know that every family's needs and expectations differ from the next. We strive to provide a relaxing and homey experience for people to authentically explore the beauty of Bucerias, and Riviera Nayarit. Again, we are sorry that it was not to your taste, and hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Mexico.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

One block from the ocean. One block from the "Kissing Bridge" to El Centro. Three blocks to the bus. Ten feet from my room to the pool.
Can it get any more central than this?
It felt like I was leaving family when my 24 days were up, but going back soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Frank S
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I feel safe and comfortable at Casa Tranquila. Although some nights the neighborhood becomes noisy I prefer experiencing "real Mexico" to being segregated in a resort. Patricia and Joann are incredibly helpful. There are wonderful places to shop and eat nearby. I go to Mexico for the climate so I enjoy staying in one of the rooms without air conditioning. There are fans for comfort when it gets really hot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank rogsoph
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I chose Casa Tranquila because it was affordable, close to the beach and away from the big city. I was not looking for an American-style or gated hotel, We had personal contact with the owner who picked us up at the airport, showed us around Bucerias and oriented us to the local transportation, shops and restaurants and even helped us arrange a private tour. Casa Tranquila feels like a B&B, without the breakfast.
The swimming pool at Casa Tranquila is just perfect for a late evening or early morning swim. If you want sand and the ocean it is only a block away. We were able to prepare meals in our little kitchen but, most often got our morning coffee from Gringos book/coffee shop right there or walked around the corner for tacos or huevos from a local cafe. The staff are friendly and kind and made our stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter but don't have a view. For air conditioning check availa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank GildaLilyDesigns
Reviewed May 11, 2013

casa tranquila is a great place with equipped apartments, well maintained garden and swimming pool. patricia and joann are really friendly and will help you in everything you need.
the location is perfect, close to bucerias center and the main launching spot for kitting.
i had wonderful time there and highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank shaiyaalon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Hotel Cactus Inn
#1 of 15 in Bucerias
La Posada de Bucerias
La Posada de Bucerias
#5 of 15 in Bucerias

Been to Casa Tranquila? Share your experiences!