“Warm, welcoming and beautiful. This is how Mexico should be experienced.”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
BC
“Warm, welcoming and beautiful. This is how Mexico should be experienced.”
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Let me first tell you about myself and the “point of view” from which I write this review. I am 33 years old and have been travelling to Mexico twice a year for the past 4 years. I have a tight budget so I have only stayed at cheaper resorts. (ie: never been to a 5 star resort).
I have been to Puerto Vallarta 5 times now. I have stayed closer to town and I have also stayed further north in Guayabitos. Some reviews say this is a smaller resort but this is the largest resort I have ever stayed in. The following are my opinions on the different aspects of the resort. Please message me if you have any further questions.

Location:

Ideal for people who do not need to go and party in PV. Will cost $40 round trip for a cab to PV but the shopping in Bucerias is WAY better. I love the smaller towns because there is a feeling of the ‘real’ mexico and not a tourist trap. The walk into Bucerias took me 20 minutes and the market quite big. The ambiance and people are charming!

Rooms:

We stayed in Block 6 which is the newest built block. The rooms were huge and very comfortable. I dont know why people say they are ‘basic’. What more does a person need? No, they dont have a fridge or a coffee maker but you can walk a few minutes and have any drink you desire! Usually all the beds in Mexico are very hard. Our mattress was a memory foam mattress and even more comfortable than my bed at home. This may not be the case in the older rooms.

Grounds:

Low lying buildings, bright colours and beautiful foliage make this a warm and welcoming place.

Food:

I consider myself a very picky eater. I rely heavily on my ‘comfort’ foods at home. However, I understand that travelling to another country means adapting to their lifestyle. I may not have wanted to dive into every dish that was offered at the buffet but I always found something I enjoyed. The trick with a buffet is to sample everything and go back for what you liked best. If all else failed, there were tonnes of fresh fruits, veggies and buns. The ‘American’ style food doesn’t always taste like we would expect it to. But honestly, if you feel you need to have the exact food you eat at home, then you need to vacation in your own country. And in response to the complaints about the cut up wieners they call ‘sausages’, I really like them. I find it funny that it bothers a lot of people to see them there. Final note on the food is not to expect American style Mexican food. But keep an open mind and you may be surprised by how much you enjoy it!

Entertainment:

There is always something to do. We preferred to do more relaxing than playing games this trip but it was never from lack of choices. The nightly shows were excellent! I used to be a professional dancer so I appreciated the choreography and gorgeous costumes and sets. No, these dancers are not like the ones you see on So You Think You Can Dance. But they have so much energy and heart. I especially loved the open air theatre for the shows. It was SO much nicer than sitting inside to watch a show.

Pool:

I swam in most of the pools are they were all clean and very nice. We preferred the pool at Block 6 mainly because it was closer to our rooms and was the biggest pool. Salvador the towel guy does not speak English but he is such a sweet man.

Staff:

Everyone was very welcoming and seemed to have a lot of pride in their resort. Please be sure to tip as the staff really deserve it. A buck or 2 a meal is not much to us but means a lot to these hardworking people.

Beach:

I have been to better beaches but I have been to much worse ones as well. This beach is great for long walks and for body surfing in the waves. Also lots going on with parasailers and kite surfers.

Complaint: The saving of seats

From my calculations, I feel that if no one ever saved seats, there would always be a place to sit at any location around the resort. There were as few as 10% of the saved seats actually being sat in at any one time. Sometimes I would have loved to go to the beach and sit for about an hour and then move on to somewhere else. However, we were forced to find a seat early in the morning and stay for most of the day since most other seats were spoken for. It was frustrating, but we had the play the game. I have heard of other resorts restricting saving seats to 1 hour. I know this would require a few more staff to police this but I feel the effort would go a long way. I would even pay a bit more to stay here next time if I knew that I wouldn’t have to stress about finding a seat somewhere.

Conclusion:

I thoroughly enjoyed our week here and I would defiantly come back again!

Tip for review writers:

If you had a negative experience that was not the fault of the resort or the resort staff (ie: you got on the wrong bus and got scared) please do not write it in the review for the resort. Or, if you do, do not include a negative comment in the title line of your review. In my opinion, it is not fair to the resort.

Thank you for reading my review. I hope it helps makes your choice to stay here (or not) an easier one.

15 Thank desbunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,232)
Calgary
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Just got back from the RDC! I absolutely loved it and will definitely be going back! The resort is huge and there is lots to do on the resort and nearby! Make sure to check out the spa - beautiful facility. My spouse and I got a couples massage and it was amazing!

The grounds were well maintained and rooms were really clean! Beds were a little hard, but what do you expect.
All the other reviews basically have said everything I would like to say..RDC is great!!

I have no complaints about this resort. Food was good (as good as buffet food can get), beach was beauttiful!
All in all, it was an awesome trip! I would recommend this hotel FOR SURE!

7 Thank SunGoddess85
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 28, 2010

comfortable and with choice of all inclusive, drinks and food, any time. Alacart resta urants with reservations. Kayaking, boogie boarding, other activities included, like water aerobics, and other activities.

Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed March 26, 2010

This was my first time at a resort and my first time at a resort anywhere. The resort is clean, attractive, continuously maintained. Nothing was too much trouble...all staff were friendly and helpful. A request to move from our 4th floor room - a little too many stairs for my partner with a knee problem - was no problem and we moved to a very nice 2nd floor room. The food was amazing, fresh, imaginative, plentiful and something for everyone's taste at every meal. The entertainment was wonderful, especially the evening show with very professional costumes, staging, content and dancing..plus a lot of audience engagement and good old-fashioned fun. We will definitely return.

6 Thank lifedancerToronto
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Just got back yesterday from our first stay. Thank you to all TA reviewers for the help.
The place is as everyone says, its awesome so I wont repeat everything. The staff, food, location was great. This was our first time staying at a resort after taking numerous cruises. It felt like being on a Holland America cruise. We only stayed a week, but have decided to go back as many do, in November for two. Now for the warning. On two separate occasions we saw young Mexican staff and non-staff members trying to woo young woman. One instance was last Friday night at the Night club. When our group arrived we saw a very intoxicated young female being grinned (dirty dancing) by four Mexican boys. After a while I saw them coercing her out the back door to the lane way. I went out, one was a staff member and immediately asked if I was her father. I said "no, but I dont like what I see and I'm about to call the Federalis, you better make sure nothing happens to her"...they took off like flies. It reminded me of that poor girl that went missing a few years ago from Aruba. Then on last Saturday night, one other couple had a problem when one of the entrainment coordinators was trying to get their niece to go with him to a club. Even though the uncle told him no earlier that day, that they were leaving early next morning, this slimy dog tried to get her to go. Well uncle had a few words with him and almost took his head off. I know young woman are warned about this stuff, but when you mix sun, free booze, and guys who dont care, its a recepe for disaster. The girl I saw, I know they were going to rape her, they were waiting for her to go down when I appeared outside.
Both incidents were reported, but who knows if they go anywhere. Be careful, you may come home with Aids and or Hepatitis, or not come home at all. Other than these two incidents, we will go back as the other staff and the resort was awesome.

8 Thank Andyneedsadrink
Edmonton
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We had an AWESOME trip and will definately travel there again. First time to the PV area and it was incredible. The Decameron staff were freindly and polite and the resort was spotless! Very impressed. See you again next year!

3 Thank diane1551
FF ont.
Reviewed March 23, 2010

was at the complex mar 12-19, excellent time. staying in building six with adjoining rooms. basic room but as previous reviews your only there to sleep. always something to eat, lunch and the burger,hotdog,nachos spot next to building six, excellent!. if you didn't find anything to eat, your to picky. met lots of people from all across canada and minnesota. walked to bucerias a couple of times, no problem what so ever. disappointed with mexican night. Staff was amazing-Victor the californian born waiter-spoken perfect english! Salvador the pool towel guy at building six, spoke no english! Elizabeth poured and perfected rum and pepsi! Tip them! Over all, nothing to complain about-consider it for next year? you bet! Two daughters 13/10 spent 8+ hours in the pool every day! Very happy! and of course Happy Wife-Happy Life.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank beaucdn.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Samba Vallarta All Inclusive

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!