Let me first tell you about myself and the “point of view” from which I write this review. I am 33 years old and have been travelling to Mexico twice a year for the past 4 years. I have a tight budget so I have only stayed at cheaper resorts. (ie: never been to a 5 star resort).
I have been to Puerto Vallarta 5 times now. I have stayed closer to town and I have also stayed further north in Guayabitos. Some reviews say this is a smaller resort but this is the largest resort I have ever stayed in. The following are my opinions on the different aspects of the resort. Please message me if you have any further questions.
Ideal for people who do not need to go and party in PV. Will cost $40 round trip for a cab to PV but the shopping in Bucerias is WAY better. I love the smaller towns because there is a feeling of the ‘real’ mexico and not a tourist trap. The walk into Bucerias took me 20 minutes and the market quite big. The ambiance and people are charming!
We stayed in Block 6 which is the newest built block. The rooms were huge and very comfortable. I dont know why people say they are ‘basic’. What more does a person need? No, they dont have a fridge or a coffee maker but you can walk a few minutes and have any drink you desire! Usually all the beds in Mexico are very hard. Our mattress was a memory foam mattress and even more comfortable than my bed at home. This may not be the case in the older rooms.
Low lying buildings, bright colours and beautiful foliage make this a warm and welcoming place.
I consider myself a very picky eater. I rely heavily on my ‘comfort’ foods at home. However, I understand that travelling to another country means adapting to their lifestyle. I may not have wanted to dive into every dish that was offered at the buffet but I always found something I enjoyed. The trick with a buffet is to sample everything and go back for what you liked best. If all else failed, there were tonnes of fresh fruits, veggies and buns. The ‘American’ style food doesn’t always taste like we would expect it to. But honestly, if you feel you need to have the exact food you eat at home, then you need to vacation in your own country. And in response to the complaints about the cut up wieners they call ‘sausages’, I really like them. I find it funny that it bothers a lot of people to see them there. Final note on the food is not to expect American style Mexican food. But keep an open mind and you may be surprised by how much you enjoy it!
There is always something to do. We preferred to do more relaxing than playing games this trip but it was never from lack of choices. The nightly shows were excellent! I used to be a professional dancer so I appreciated the choreography and gorgeous costumes and sets. No, these dancers are not like the ones you see on So You Think You Can Dance. But they have so much energy and heart. I especially loved the open air theatre for the shows. It was SO much nicer than sitting inside to watch a show.
I swam in most of the pools are they were all clean and very nice. We preferred the pool at Block 6 mainly because it was closer to our rooms and was the biggest pool. Salvador the towel guy does not speak English but he is such a sweet man.
Everyone was very welcoming and seemed to have a lot of pride in their resort. Please be sure to tip as the staff really deserve it. A buck or 2 a meal is not much to us but means a lot to these hardworking people.
I have been to better beaches but I have been to much worse ones as well. This beach is great for long walks and for body surfing in the waves. Also lots going on with parasailers and kite surfers.
Complaint: The saving of seats
From my calculations, I feel that if no one ever saved seats, there would always be a place to sit at any location around the resort. There were as few as 10% of the saved seats actually being sat in at any one time. Sometimes I would have loved to go to the beach and sit for about an hour and then move on to somewhere else. However, we were forced to find a seat early in the morning and stay for most of the day since most other seats were spoken for. It was frustrating, but we had the play the game. I have heard of other resorts restricting saving seats to 1 hour. I know this would require a few more staff to police this but I feel the effort would go a long way. I would even pay a bit more to stay here next time if I knew that I wouldn’t have to stress about finding a seat somewhere.
I thoroughly enjoyed our week here and I would defiantly come back again!
Tip for review writers:
If you had a negative experience that was not the fault of the resort or the resort staff (ie: you got on the wrong bus and got scared) please do not write it in the review for the resort. Or, if you do, do not include a negative comment in the title line of your review. In my opinion, it is not fair to the resort.
Thank you for reading my review. I hope it helps makes your choice to stay here (or not) an easier one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Decameron Complex composed of three hotel units: Flamingos, Tropical and Royal, is located 20 minutes from Puerto Vallarta International Airport on the most exciting and extensive beach of the beautiful Bay of Banderas in the typical Mexican town of Bucerias in Riviera Nayarit. The colorful architecture of the Royal Decameron Complex offers 5 swimming pools, 4 of which are suitable for children, and long stretch of beach where you can enjoy different activities, non-motorized water sports and bar services. You can also enjoy a large number of buffet and a la carte options with specialized restaurants including: JAP JAP, Wok, MexicanoFusion, Piccolo and Steak House, among others. We also offer 6 bars along the beach and beside the swimming pools. The Royal Decameron Complex also has other installations like the Vallarta disco, 3 tennis courts, one soccer pitch and a fun Kids Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Royal Decameron Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Vallarta
- Royal Decameron Hotel
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Bucerias
- Royal Decameron Mexico
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Mexico
- Royal Decameron Complex Puerto Vallarta
- Royal De Cameron
- Royal Decameron Nuevo Vallarta
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Hotel
- Puerto Vallarta Royal Decameron