Royal Decameron Complex
  • Beachfront
$214
$160
  • Pool
Samba Vallarta All Inclusive(Flamingos)(Great Value!)
$238
$200
  • Breakfast included
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa(La Cruz de Huanacaxtle)(Great Value!)
$168
$133
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Vallarta(Nuevo Vallarta)
TripAdvisor
5,199 results
All reviewsadult poolpuerto vallartaroom in blocka la carte restaurantsjap japrooms are basicbring your own shampooiguana treehard plasticair mattressitalian restaurantflea marketsnack barsafe keyair transatstayed in buildingface cloths
A TripAdvisor Member
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed June 4, 2004

I just got back from a great 7 day vacation w/ my husband and my siblings/their sig. others--we were there from May 29-June 4th...the first day we arrived, they couldn't find our reservations that we booked through expedia (which was a great deal by the way)---so they put us in a mediocre hotel 15 minutes away which was fine w/ us---i believe that if you go on ANY vacation w/ a positive attitude, you'll just have a great time regardless the situation...they paid for our cab fare both ways and it wasn't such a big deal...we were glad that we returned back to Decameron for the remainder of the trip and were treated to supreme rooms in Block 4--which was near the Tropical side with a ocean/poolside view. The bartenders were great---although it is an all-inclusive...we gave a buck here and there and were treated very well---the food was great (the variety was awesome)---if you want to go experience Downtown Vallarta--go eat at LA DOLCE VITA for great pizza and pasta....or for a LOBSTER/SEAFOOD dinner...try Cafe de Ollo...soooo sooo delicious! I really liked the Decameron and my husband and sisters and brothers all want to go back there again next year! We saw other hotels and they weren't as nice so I will suggest anyone to stay there...who cares about hard beds and unfriendly people?! I suggest going on your vacations w/ a POSITIVE ATTITUDE!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed May 30, 2004

I just spent the last two weeks at the Royal Decameron Complex near Puerto Vallarta. I found the staff at the resort very welcoming. Checking in to the hotel was easy and we were greeted with fruity beverages upon our arrival. Our room was in decent condition. We stayed in the building location inbetween the two pools right by the outdoor stage. The beds were a little hard and it was easy to hear your neighbours in the other room, but I didn't expect much else from the resort.

I found that there was always something to do at the resort. I was nervous about going on vacation with a couple, but once I met the people at the resort, I wasn't uncomfortable about doing things by myself. The activities staff went out of their way to make sure you got involved; whether it was in the numerous sports around the pools or during their shows and contests. They were very easy to approach and fun to hang out with. It was nice to see that they accomidated the activities to suit people of all ages.

The nightly entertainment was sensational. Usually every evening there would be a small show at the stage near the pool. This entertainment would include dancing, kareokee, contests, mexican games etc. Shortly afterward, there was always a performance at the theater. These shows included of various types of traditional dancing. Each night there was a different show; for the two weeks I was there I never saw the same show twice. Sometimes, the shows consited of acts involving the audience. These interactive shows were hilarious. My friend was pulled on stage twice; once for a Tarzan contest and again for the mime show. The performances are done beautifully and you really get captured into the spirit of the resort.

The local club at the resort, known as the Disco was pretty decent as well. It is a nice facility with a stage, dance floor, and seating. Unfortunately, there weren't too many people who took interest in the club. Often times we would go there, and there would hardly be anyone. The music was great and the drinks were decent. I do not think there is anything the hotel can do to improve the club; it's up to the tourists at the resort to make the club more enjoyable.

Hopefully you enjoy your experience at the Royal Decameron as much as I did. I know I would love to return there in the future.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Decameron from April 23 until April 30. The check-in went smoothly considering there were three bus loads of vacationers. The rooms were average. My philosophy is, when I'm on vacation I only sleep and shower in my room, so I don't need anything to fancy. The grounds are impecable. The food was so-so at the buffet restaurants. The a la carte restaurants were good (the steak house and italian especially). The service was great! If you tip the bartenders the first day/night you are there they will remember you and give you great service and great drinks. I brought 3 "Canada" baseball hats with me that I bought at the dollar store for $3 each before I left. I gave one to the night bartender and two to the two day bartenders. I never had to wait to get a drink. I would suggest bringing a thermal plastic glass because the drinks are served in small plastic cups.
Down the road is a great little town called Bucerias (20 minute walk). There is a small flea market in town. There is also a larger flea market in downtown Puerto Vallarta, a 25 minute cab ride - $15 one way. Try to stay away from that one on Wednesdays. That's when the cruise ships come in. My wife and another couple went out for dinner our last night to the "Panorama" restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. It is located in one of the older hotels up in the mountains. You can see all of Puerto Vallarta and the bay from the restaurant. The food and service was 5 star. Try the table-side caesar salad and sexy coffee. The bill for the four of us was only $160. I would highly recommend this restaurant.
Over-all the experience was great I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get away and have fun. It is a quiet resort, so if you want to party I would suggest staying somewhere downtown. Although I had a few good drinking nights at the resort with some of the people I met. I noticed on SellOffVacations departing Toronto for June you can book for around $550 Canadian for a week. That is a steal and well worth it. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions

2  Thank Binzee
Reviewed May 26, 2004

My 20 year old daughter and I stayed at the Royal Decameron for 2 weeks in April and had a terrific time. A trip to remember forever. There was such a variety of people and things to do that we were both very happy with our holiday. The resort was clean and well kept with friendly, helpful staff, lots of fun activities and a super location. We went kayaking and sailing in the catamarans. The night time shows were amazing, what variety --choreographed dancing, singing, comedy, mime... You name it, they did it. What talented staff! We enjoyed the food, both the buffets and the a la carte restaurants. We were willing to take the 8:30 sitting so had no trouble getting a reservation.

We stayed in Block 5 with the adult only pool and at first thought that we might want to be closer to the beach and activities. After a few days we decided we were really happy with our location. We had the opportunity to look at some other rooms and Block 5 rooms were nicer. We always spent the end of the day at the adult pool and so we were right there at our room to go up and shower and get ready for dinner and the evening. It really worked out great for us.

We were very glad that we chose a resort that was within a short walk of a village (15 minutes to Bucerias by road or beach). We walked into the village several times and enjoyed experiencing the local community. Prices at the market in Bucerias were better than at the resort or in Puerto Vallarta and people there were friendly and happy for the business.

We also took the local bus into Puerto Vallarta (45 mins.). It was easy to figure out and only 15 pesos each way. Puerto Vallarta is interesting but very busy and full of tourists, so we were always glad to return to the Royal Decameron.

Yes, the beds are very firm but we were always tired from a full day and slept well. The rooms including bedding and towels were good and they do provide large beach towels so you don't need to pack your own. It's wise to bring an alarm clock in case you have to get up early to go on a tour.

We went on the Jungle Tour, very well organized, informative and fun with the bonus of meeting some great people. My daughter went on the Canopy Tour and it was a big hit!! We don't recommend the snorkeling trip, well not if your expectations are high, visibility was poor and with so many people getting in the water at the same time there is not much chance of seeing a lot of fish! But, the trip around the bay in the boat was a nice way to spend the day.

I would definitely return and hope to do so with my husband soon.

• Stayed: April 2004
7  Thank Mustang33
Reviewed May 26, 2004

The weather was awesome - too bad the hotel wasn't as good...

We just returned from an 18 day (April 21st to May 9th) company vacation at the Royal Decameron and I have to say we were a little disappointed. There were four of us - two couples. It all started when we arrived at 6:00pm (check-in time is at 3:00pm) and we were told our rooms were not ready yet. We had to wait just over an hour for them. We ended up staying in 3 different rooms during our stay. Most of the room changing was due to all of the construction that was happening around us. Apparently, that’s a pretty common thing for the Royal Decameron hotel. As were all the cablevision problems we, and our business partners, kept having.

We noticed that a lot of the staff didn’t appear to be too happy there. They certainly weren’t going out of their way for us by any means – not like some of the other all-inclusives we’ve stayed at in Puerto Vallarta. We had numerous issues with the towel boy day-after-day. Talk about an unhappy guy. The pools do not close until 8:00pm but the towels close at 7:00pm. When you don’t return your towel that day you sure get attitude the next morning from him. They keep track of your towels on a piece of paper – there are no towel cards at this hotel.

There is an “adults only” pool area but watch out – they don’t patrol it very well. If there are kids in there and you go to the front desk to tell them, not much happens. It got so bad while we were there that we were at the front desk daily, and sometimes hourly. So, if you’re going to the Royal Decameron because they have a nice quiet adults only pool area, you could be very disappointed.

The buffet food was okay, depending on what time you went to eat. Towards the end of the night they would run out of stuff and it wasn’t very hot. On Thursdays, it’s Mexican night. Both of the buffet restaurants have a Mexican menu – the tacos dorados and chile rellenos are very good as long as they didn’t run out of them. The churros are amazing – but they close them down early (well before 9:00pm) so you better get in the dessert line up for churros before you actually get your dinner! That was a mistake we made! Two nights before we left they opened up a new a la carte “seafood” restaurant. We made reservations for both nights. I have to say it was very good. Both the quality of the food and the level of service were great. Hopefully it will last.

The nightly entertainment was fabulous. Definitely one of the better points of the Royal Decameron hotel. We all agreed on how well these performers could dance. Well worth going to watch each and every night. They work on a 14 day rotation schedule – so, if you’re there for 2 weeks you will see all of their performances and never a repeat. I understand they are putting together a new performance similar to “Cirque du Soleil”. I bet it’s awesome!

Feel free to email me for further information on any of this review. I would be more than happy to advise anyone who is thinking about staying at this hotel.

3  Thank TeresaJ_VictoriaBC